giving up sugar/junk food

Options

Replies

• fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Except for Christmas Day at the in law's I have been sugar free for two months. I chose to do it cold turkey because I find the withdrawal to be less painful. I haven't been eating wheat either. I didn't intend to give up whole wheat but I just found that the calories in bread just wasn't worth it for me. Now I wonder if I have a problem with wheat as well and if the withdrawal would have been harder if I had been eating wheat? I have a brown rice tortilla (quesadilla) most days. I also eat quinoa. I have blueberries or some other berries most days. I did have a couple of bananas and a couple of mandarin oranges but I have been sticking with the berries for the most part because they have a lot of nutrients and not so much sugar. I eat mostly eggs, beef, chicken, cheese, and vegetables including potatoes and yams. I am usually low on carbs as far as MFP goes but it is working for me. I wouldn't recommend using gum or other artificially sweetened things because you won't give your taste buds the chance to stop craving the sweet taste and the withdrawal will take longer. (My opinion of course!) I was really worried about having sweets at Christmas because I thought the withdrawal would be just as painful as it was at the beginning. It wasn't too bad and I am back on track. From what I have read on MFP everyone is different. Try some technique and if it doesn't work try something else. It appears to be an individual thing and I am sure you will find what works for you!
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Options
    I don't drink sodas or juices. I drink a lot of water. I chew gum cuz my mouth is always dry so it helps, but it is sugar free gum.

Have you had your blood sugar tested lately?

I haven't had my sugars tested lately. Every time I have had them checked I fall well within the normal range. I know that diabetes runs in my family so I know I need to get this under control before I become like them.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Options
    I gave up all sugars and sweet fruits 21 months ago. I've lost 145 pounds and kept it off.
    Along with giving up sugar you are also going to have to quit all sweeteners.
    You are going to have to give up all wheat products. Remember 2 slices of wholewheat bread has a higher gilcemic index than a snickers bar. The moment you eat the whole wheat it turns to sugar. It spikes your insulin and causes cravings.
    You will suffer withdraw symptoms for a short time but it will be worth it. You will be free from that crack sugar.
    After a while your taste will change, you will no longer like sweet tasting foods or drink.
    You will lose weight and feel great.
    A few things to help you. Watch the YouTube video by Dr. Robert Lustig called "Sugar The Bitter Truth", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    Read the book by Dr. William Davis called "Wheat Belly", you can read the first chapter on Amazon.com
    Read the book by Gary Taubes called "Why We Get Fat, And What To Do About It", available on Amazon.com

I do enjoy the occasional DARK chocolate. 85% is sufficiently bitter to allow me to handle the little sugar in it. A 3.5 oz. bar will last me a month.

Think of all the money you are gong to save.
    I wish you success.

Dan

Thank you so much!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I love dark dark chocolate. What brand do you get that is the 85%? I will check out the books too. I am an avid reader and want to be successful. I don't eat a lot of breads but we do eat pasta. I have a large family so it is a way to spread a meal for a large group.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Options
    I strongly believe that processed sugar is addictive - I know it is for my body. Like, really, genuinely addictive. It doesn't work for me to have just a little of something very often, so I prefer to cut it all out. I chew gum, drink tea, drink carbonated water with lemon, eat fruit leather and lots of fruit. Eating whole foods like whole grains, greens, fats, etc are the trick for me. I need them to feel satisfied, diet food and artificial sugars just don't do it for me. Oh, and the other thing is raw honey! I eat raw honey almost every day and probably 1-5 pieces of fruit per day. Of course I am not a perfect person, so I still eat sweets sometimes, and that's really okay. I think if you do you shouldn't shame yourself for it, then it will have a bad effect on your mind too. Treat yourself well, take the time to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

I agree with you. I know that I am addicted to sugar like people are addicted to smoking or drugs...same mental thing going on here. I am not big on diet food/artifical sugars. they are expensive and just don't taste like the real thing so I don't want to bother with them. Do you just eat spoonfuls of raw honey or do you put it with your fruit or on your oatmeal? Just curious how you do that...and why raw. What is wrong with the stuff I find in the grocery store?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I love dark dark chocolate. What brand do you get that is the 85%? I will check out the books too. I am an avid reader and want to be successful. I don't eat a lot of breads but we do eat pasta. I have a large family so it is a way to spread a meal for a large group.

Taubes' books are interesting to read and think there is some value to them (I've read one of them myself) but I just want to throw a word of caution out there that he is one of the current "hot" authors in the health world and he is at one of the rather extreme ends of the spectrum. Many people can be perfectly healthy without going to such extremes. If it works for you, then that's great - but I'm skeptical of anyone who says that their way is the only/best way to be healthy, especially when it is so extreme. Here is one critique of Taubes that I found - I know there are others out there. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/why-we-get-fat/

Hope you find something that works for you and allows you to reach your health/fitness goals! :flowerforyou:
  • vsmurrow
    vsmurrow Posts: 145
    Options
    You said your mouth is always dry? Is this caused by genetics or a medication perhaps? If not, you should probably get tested for diabetes. It can cause a lot of dryness, thirstiness, and a bit of the munchies (often the munchies of the sweets).

Just a thought...
  • skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! just take it one day at a time and just keep striving to do better each day. you will get there and good luck to u!
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Options
    I was addicted to food. I can admit that now. I would eat when I wasn't even hungry.
    When it came to junk foods, it was even worse. I would drink coke like water (literally.....not proud of that) and would eat chocolate daily as an after meal treat.... after every single meal in the day (again, not proud of that).

I cut it off completely three months ago when I joined this site. I have a few tips that have helped me:

- Make a mock entry in your diary (obviously delete it afterwards). Enter all the meals, treats, junk foods that you can recall on one of your WORST DAYS. This was important to me because even though I knew junk food was bad for me, I didn't EXACTLY know why. When you put together a mock entry of your WORST DAY, you get a clear idea of what it is you're trying to avoid.
    (For me, I entered in a day where I had 1 x Pizza Hut pizza, 1 x Cadbury Chocolate Bar, 1.5 litres of coke among many other foods.... the tally was up to 5000 calories and no I am NOT joking... it woke me up. I haven't looked back.
    - Log everything (EVERYTHING) that you eat, down to the last grape and drop of milk. Tally up your calories and see for yourself how easy it is to reach your calorie limit daily without eating junk food.
    - Eat when you're hungry, not when you feel like it. When you don't know, eat a small portion (normally 1/4 to 1/2 of a standard meal you'd have) and wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry after, finish off the meal. Wait another 20 minutes. This allows your brain to register that you are full.
    - Drink water, water, and more WATER! Get that 8 glasses of water down your hole a day, or as close as you can. It teaches you the difference between thirst and hunger (my ability to know the difference was so weak, I'd confuse them...)

Look, I came around from a very, very, VERY destructive eating habit. I now only have a handful of licorice (high in energy, low in calories) or a Ski Lite yoghurt to settle the stomach. I cook my own meals so I know what I'm eating (steaks, fish, chicken, etc.).

Finally, whenever you have a sudden urge to eat bad foods in an unreasonable way (for example; a couple of squares of dark chocolate is actually good for you), and if you find yourself trying to JUSTIFY eating the food, remember this saying:

"Don't let a moment of weakness turn into a moment of regret"

Sorry for writing so much but I feel very strongly about this. It is not a stupid question and believe me when I say if I can turn that around, so can you.

This is great advice! I know I am addicted to food too. Sugar is my biggest trigger and I, like you, eat it after every meal...breakfast lunch and dinner and snack. I find that I crave it in the middle of the night, I have it stashed around the house, I hide it from my kids and husband. Its ridiculous really. I know I am better than this addiction. I think I am going to print out in big bold letters your quote about a moment of weakness! Love it!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I get my chocolate fix using cocoa powder. I add a tablespoon to 1 cup frozen mixed berries and protein powder for my morning smoothie (I also fill the blender with baby spinach but not everyone is into that). The other thing I do is add cocoa powder to greek yogurt with some stevia, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. What I found worked best for the sugar craving was to start this new lifestyle (high protein, low carbs) on the first day of my period. I usually gorge for the week before and then I am not very hungry the first two days. It seemed to work... no cravings this time at all. I also have a piece of gum as soon as I am done with my lunch.
  • ninamm3
    ninamm3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    HELLO, my name is Nina and I'm a sugar addict.

This is how I detoxed after Christmas.

Lots of green tea and water, high protein, and an added fiber called Glucomannan --which stabilizes blood sugar along with many other benefits... therefore helping with sugar cravings.

I wrote about it in my blog ...you can find a link to it in today's post actually!

www.runningsforthebirds.blogspot.com

Also, being distracted/busy/having something to do and getting PLENTY of sleep at night helps a great deal. It usually takes a good 3 days to get over the withdrawls --feeling better as day 4 approaches!
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Calcium chews come in chocolate flavors and are pretty darn good. I have to be careful because I could eat a handful, but at least it's not too bad for you! Good luck!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to food. I can admit that now. I would eat when I wasn't even hungry.
    When it came to junk foods, it was even worse. I would drink coke like water (literally.....not proud of that) and would eat chocolate daily as an after meal treat.... after every single meal in the day (again, not proud of that).

I cut it off completely three months ago when I joined this site. I have a few tips that have helped me:

- Make a mock entry in your diary (obviously delete it afterwards). Enter all the meals, treats, junk foods that you can recall on one of your WORST DAYS. This was important to me because even though I knew junk food was bad for me, I didn't EXACTLY know why. When you put together a mock entry of your WORST DAY, you get a clear idea of what it is you're trying to avoid.
    (For me, I entered in a day where I had 1 x Pizza Hut pizza, 1 x Cadbury Chocolate Bar, 1.5 litres of coke among many other foods.... the tally was up to 5000 calories and no I am NOT joking... it woke me up. I haven't looked back.
    - Log everything (EVERYTHING) that you eat, down to the last grape and drop of milk. Tally up your calories and see for yourself how easy it is to reach your calorie limit daily without eating junk food.
    - Eat when you're hungry, not when you feel like it. When you don't know, eat a small portion (normally 1/4 to 1/2 of a standard meal you'd have) and wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry after, finish off the meal. Wait another 20 minutes. This allows your brain to register that you are full.
    - Drink water, water, and more WATER! Get that 8 glasses of water down your hole a day, or as close as you can. It teaches you the difference between thirst and hunger (my ability to know the difference was so weak, I'd confuse them...)

Look, I came around from a very, very, VERY destructive eating habit. I now only have a handful of licorice (high in energy, low in calories) or a Ski Lite yoghurt to settle the stomach. I cook my own meals so I know what I'm eating (steaks, fish, chicken, etc.).

Finally, whenever you have a sudden urge to eat bad foods in an unreasonable way (for example; a couple of squares of dark chocolate is actually good for you), and if you find yourself trying to JUSTIFY eating the food, remember this saying:

"Don't let a moment of weakness turn into a moment of regret"

Sorry for writing so much but I feel very strongly about this. It is not a stupid question and believe me when I say if I can turn that around, so can you.

This is great advice! I know I am addicted to food too. Sugar is my biggest trigger and I, like you, eat it after every meal...breakfast lunch and dinner and snack. I find that I crave it in the middle of the night, I have it stashed around the house, I hide it from my kids and husband. Its ridiculous really. I know I am better than this addiction. I think I am going to print out in big bold letters your quote about a moment of weakness! Love it!

This was me too! It is very difficult to give up sugar but ssoooooooooooooooo worth it. My body tried to trick me and begged me to give it sugar and even made me suffer headaches for a couple of days a few days in but stopping the processed sugar
    was the best thing I could have done for my body & weight loss. It took me a couple of weeks but I just drank alot of water and ate alot of fruit when I has a craving - and I knew when I won because I could walk past chocolate, donuts, cake, candy etc and not even give it a second thought! This holiday season was a huge test for me and I passed with flying colours! I had a bite of two of sugary foods and that was enought to satisfy me! I even have a open half eaten chocolate bar in my fridge that has been there since October - I've seen it several times a day everyday and it doesn't bother me - I have the odd square here and there! That is huge for me - I could eat a whole box of chocolates in one night before!! The more sugar you eat the more your body wants. Good luck - stay strong!! :drinker:
  • sunnyh7
    sunnyh7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started drinking a green smoothie for breakfast. It's been almost 2 months now but I started noticing a big difference within a few weeks. I no longer crave junk food. It is the weirdest thing to me! It's also wonderful knowing you are filling up your body with great nutrients.

Anyhow, I started after my friends had great results and I plan to continue it. I follow Kim Snyder's Glowing Green Smoothie receipe minus the celery as I don't care for it. :)
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Also, being distracted/busy/having something to do and getting PLENTY of sleep at night helps a great deal. It usually takes a good 3 days to get over the withdrawls --feeling better as day 4 approaches!

This is something that is also extremely true. Idle fingers are our worst enemy. Keep them preoccupied! For me, video games did wonders :D
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that processed sugar is addictive - I know it is for my body. Like, really, genuinely addictive. It doesn't work for me to have just a little of something very often, so I prefer to cut it all out. I chew gum, drink tea, drink carbonated water with lemon, eat fruit leather and lots of fruit. Eating whole foods like whole grains, greens, fats, etc are the trick for me. I need them to feel satisfied, diet food and artificial sugars just don't do it for me. Oh, and the other thing is raw honey! I eat raw honey almost every day and probably 1-5 pieces of fruit per day. Of course I am not a perfect person, so I still eat sweets sometimes, and that's really okay. I think if you do you shouldn't shame yourself for it, then it will have a bad effect on your mind too. Treat yourself well, take the time to figure out what works best for you. Good luck!

I agree with you. I know that I am addicted to sugar like people are addicted to smoking or drugs...same mental thing going on here. I am not big on diet food/artifical sugars. they are expensive and just don't taste like the real thing so I don't want to bother with them. Do you just eat spoonfuls of raw honey or do you put it with your fruit or on your oatmeal? Just curious how you do that...and why raw. What is wrong with the stuff I find in the grocery store?

I used to keep bees, so I'm personally a bit of a honey snob :P
    But the stuff in the store is heated and processed so it has no nutritional value and it is basically like eating corn syrup - in fact, some studies have shown that the stuff in the store does have some amount of non-honey add in. There's a lot of other reasons, like how the bees are treated that come in to play for me, but the main reason is that raw honey has tons of nutritional value and has been a healing agent for health and sickness for a long time. And I eat about a tablespoon of honey each day, sometimes on some fruit, sometimes in tea, sometimes just a little bit on a spoon.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Okay giving up sugar is hard! I went from drinking multiple cans/bottles of coke everyday for years. So giving it up was a really really hard thing to do.

I hate to say this, but the only way that I found worked is to just stop. You will get headaches for a few days due to the lack of sugar that your body is used to, but this will pass. I recommend drinking plenty of water while cutting it out to assist your body to flush it out of your body.

Sugar is bad in many ways, it assists in weight gain and due to my excessive sugar for years I now have to have a few root canals which is not cheap! Or lose my teeth. I think you need to look at what its doing to your body and realise the effects go beyond what you think. Its simply breaking a habit and habits are hard to break. But now I dont drink sugar drinks at all and if I do its very rare. I drink water and only water just about everyday now. Its worth it.

Also sugar free is better for you it has other additives which I bloody terrible for your body, so I do recommend trying to stay away from the diet drinks as well.
  • CoWGirL1191
    CoWGirL1191 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST! very motivating :smile: