Healthy Way to Eat Sushi

Options
Hey Everyone!

I was just wondering what fellow dieters order when they go out to get sushi. All my usuals are pretty high in calories, such as the Vegas roll and the Dragon roll. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Replies

• Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't eat rolls. Only Sashimi!
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sushi is a meal I don't even try to count because there are so many variables for the places I eat sushi. If you are trying to stay low then I agree with the poster above me and don't eat rolls.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I also prefer Sashimi, and usually get a large plate (ok, PLATTER!!) of that, and order maybe one favorite roll. If I can actually afford to go out for sushi, I am not gonna worry about going over on my calories, but I do hate getting so overstuffed on all the rolls and rice that I am afraid to burp lol!! (I am such a lady.) I also like to order a seaweed salad or cucumber/octopus salad as a starter. And wash it down with a couple glasses of chardonnay.... dang it, now I want sushi tonight!!!!
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Another Sushi lover here... The best way would be to have sashimi, then individual pieces where there is less rice. The rolls are complicated by the rice and the different sauces that might be added. Isn't sushi one of the "calorie free" meals.
  • chichi74
    chichi74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is definitely the best choice, with a small cup of miso soup, which is not too bad. Also, if you would like to indulge in a roll, I would stick to anything that doesn't contain tempura, cream cheese, mayo based sauces, etc. Simple tuna or salmon rolls are safe...some sushi places are starting to offer brown rice rolls which are a little healthier. Ohh...I'm craving sushi now!
  • Journey2Myself
    Options
    I start with miso soup and seaweed salad or edamame.. then stick with the basics.. salmon roll, tuna roll..
    last time i went out i had miso soup, seaweed salad, alaskan roll and salmon sashimi.. just dont use the dipping sauce. i used wasabi and light soy sauce for some... and some green tea :)
    was hard watching my bf eat the yummy cream cheese and tempura rolls until I lost weight that weekend.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Save it for a cheat day. Go big and go fried. :drinker:
  • Carolyn130
    Options
    I agree with the sashimi suggestions. If you are really craving a roll maybe go for a hand roll like a California roll. Also, ask for brown rice if you are craving a roll that has rice or sushi. I also like the suggestion of saving it for a cheat day or even better maybe put that as a reward for let's say a 5 # weight loss reward.
  • Coleyrole
    Options
    i like to order it with brown rice instead of white :)
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    sashimi with soy sauce/ginger/wasabi
    seaweed
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    I dont know - I hate sushumi but love sushi... I'm in your same boat. The best advise I can give you is don't get anything fried and ask for brown rice instead of white. If you figure out any "healthy" rolls, msg me what they are! ha :)
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Save it for a cheat day. Go big and go fried. :drinker:

This!

But - if it's not a cheat day - I have edamame, seaweed salad, and a cucumber roll or an avocado roll. Watch out for the sodium!!!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    My favorite sushi place makes avocado-cucumber rolls, vegetable rolls and avocado-mango rolls. I'm vegan, so that cuts my options down by a lot, but the rolls without cream cheese, tempura, and mayonnaise salads are better options if you're watching your calories.

I watch what I'm eating all day on sushi day, push myself during my workout, and enjoy a few of these rolls dipped in soy sauce. Yum!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    LOVE the suggestion to save it for a reward after a big # loss!!! It is so expensive, especially sashimi, I think that will be a 10lb loss reward.... (watch me drop 8 lbs this week LOL!!) I was gonna do non-food rewards, like shoes and hair and pedicures, but me likee the sushi!!!
  • Jhulet
    Jhulet Posts: 32
    Options
    sashimi with soy sauce/ginger/wasabi
    seaweed

Exactly! Yumm!!!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Share your favorite rolls with a friend and fill up on sashimi, salad and edamame. Personally I would make it a cheat meal and just enjoy it. Sushi is such a treat!