does a heart rate monitor help?

Options
I've heard good things about hrm's, but do they keep track of calories etc, if not what is the purpose of them, and why are they so good?:smile:

Replies

• blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about hrm's, but do they keep track of calories etc, if not what is the purpose of them, and why are they so good?:smile:
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    Hi there!

A Heart Rate Monitor is used to measure your heart rate during exercise, which in turn calculates your caloric burn during the activity. It logs your resting heart rate and calculates your target activity heart rate for you, so that you know where to be to get the most out of your work out. It has a chest strap and a wrist unit (like a watch) -- the chest strap measures your heartbeats per minute and sends singles to the wrist unit, which in turn calculates your heart rate percentages, calorie burn, etc.

HRMs do not, in and of themselves, increase or maximize your caloric burn -- that's all up to you and your exercise choices and intensity. The reason so many people, including many of us on this site - use HRMs is that it provides the most accurate calculate of calories burned so we can log our exercise as precisely as possible.

Since using mine, I've found it extremely helpful. The numbers in the MFP exercise database and on other websites that guesstimate the calories burned for certain exercises are estimates only, and I have found I burn far more than I was logging when using those estimates.

Have a great day!
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    thanks, i want to get one, which do u reccoment. People have told me in the past Polar and Reebok are good.
    :wink:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    For me, I needed it to accurately log the cals I was burning. The numbers at the gym were about 1/2 of what I was actually burning, which meant I wasn't eating enough and was actually in starvation mode. Not good! As you get closer to your goal weight, and maintenance, they can be good for you to be in "aerobic" fat-burning heart rate, or for stamina, the anaerobic heart rate. I don't use that right now as i have a long way to go!
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    I have the Polar F6, and I love it . . . it's the only one I've used so I can't compare to the others, but I know a lot of people with either the F6 or the F4 from Polar, and all have had great feedback.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F4.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that not all HRM calculate your calories burned during exercise so be sure to read the features on the label.

I found that the machines and MFP were over calculating my calorie burn...so I was eating back too many calories at first...luckily I was still losing though.
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    I love my Polar F6 !!!!:love:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I love my Polar F4!!
  • HealthyIn09
    HealthyIn09 Posts: 36
    Options
    I honestly don't know what I would do without my HRM. I feel that it helps me really see how many calories I've burned which allows me to see how many calories I can eat! haha. Seriously, my HRM is fantastic and I have to wear it each time I work out. I love seeing the number of calories burned rise!

Oh, and I have a polar F6! But just like someone said, do some research and decide what you want in a HRM. I know that Polar has one that tracks distances if you are a runner and has some other features in the higher end models. But i would definitely recommend looking into a Polar. I haven't been disappointed.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I have a Proform HRM (it's like the Reebok) one and I love it. You can get one of those from buy.com for about $30.

http://www.buy.com/prod/pro-form-precision-trainer-xt-heart-rate-monitor-with-chest-strap/q/loc/111/211107597.html?adid=17654&dcaid=17654

I've found that the HRM has changed the way I work out. Now I'm working longer and harder to stay in my target zone.