Kettlebell HELP

Options
I have 2 kettlebell workout dvds but use an 8-10pound(elongated) dumbbell instead. I want to buy a kettlebell today. since KBs use momentum and are "lighter" in theory is 15 too much, too light? thoughts THANKS!

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    kettle bells are awesome, and some moves use momentum, but you still get a great work out. if i were you, i'd find a set of kettle bells that go from 5-20 lbs. before you know it, you'll be looking for heavier weights.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing kettlebell training last few weeks with 4 and 8kg (12.8lb) kettlebells. Depending on the exercise some I can use the 8, some I could do with a 6 (9.6lb) which my gym doesn't have!If I could only use one it would have to be 6kg.
    Based on this 15lbs seems quite heavy? Do they sell them at any sports stores near you so you could try it out?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    kettle bells are awesome, and some moves use momentum, but you still get a great work out. if i were you, i'd find a set of kettle bells that go from 5-20 lbs. before you know it, you'll be looking for heavier weights.

Agree. Jillian Michaels Shred it with weights recommends 5 to 8 pounds, I've done it w/ a 5 pound kettlebell and feel like I am going to chuck it across the room. We have a 15 pound also which I can use for most things except it feels awkward for movements above my head!
  • gailosborne
    Options
    8kg is a good start.
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Agree. Jillian Michaels Shred it with weights recommends 5 to 8 pounds, I've done it w/ a 5 pound kettlebell and feel like I am going to chuck it across the room. We have a 15 pound also which I can use for most things except it feels awkward for movements above my head!

ok so off question a bit i just got that dvd to use wondering if there is a way to make sure your doing the moves right also did it work for you
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    don't know much about it

I do get some feeds from this though
    http://www.dragondoor.com/

some reads have been very good from them
  • PreacherRam
    Options
    They were on sale this week at Wal-Mart. They had 5 lb, 10lb and 20 lb kettleballs on sale.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    According to the CEC's I've taken on kettlebell use for my personal training certification, most women can start with an 18 pound kettlebell. So, I think a 15 pounder would be great. Where are you planning to buy it? I get all of mine from www.power-systems.com because I know they are gym quality on their equipment. I also wouldn't recommend the adjustable ones. I've seen one come apart while it was being swung and it wasn't pretty for my clients television.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    According to the CEC's I've taken on kettlebell use for my personal training certification, most women can start with an 18 pound kettlebell. So, I think a 15 pounder would be great. Where are you planning to buy it? I get all of mine from www.power-systems.com because I know they are gym quality on their equipment. I also wouldn't recommend the adjustable ones. I've seen one come apart while it was being swung and it wasn't pretty for my clients television.

this is both hilarious and saddening :ohwell: lol poor tv

thanks guys, any more advice please feel free to add, will read it all
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I started out with 5 for a few times just to get used to it. Then went to 10 and can do some at 15lbs. So get either a set of them or an adjustable one.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Get all Rocky as ish with it!
    Make your own! PAINT CAAAAAAAAAAAAAANS

BOOM..Just saving fools money!
  • Momof3PrincesandaPrincess
    Options
    I love the kettlebell workout! I use Bob Harper's, I love his so much better than Jillian Michael's. I use a 10 pound kettlebell with his workout and it kicks my *kitten*, but in a good way!
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    i got mine at walmart...but i got the 5 pound one i could easily sling it across the room if not careful its so light BUT it will make u sore after awhile so its perfect i think!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I just got 5 & 8 lb ones... I have a shoulder issue that makes overhead stuff awkward, so wanted to try lighter ones first. They may feel light when you pick them up at the store, but after a few reps you will feel every ounce of the weight!

Re form while doing the DVD: I am using the DVD player in my bedroom where I can stand in front of the full-length mirror on the bathroom door... You either need a mirror or an observer who can tell you how you're doing... I'd rather not have an audience just yet myself (Bob Harper being the exeception!!)
  • sfcoach
    Options
    Hey There!
    This is the first post here, but I saw this and had to respond since kettlebells are such a 'game changing' fitness tool, at least in my experience.
    The weight you get will totally depend on what exercises you are doing. But, let's assume you are going to learn how to perform a kettlebell swing and a goblet squat. For those exercises, a 15-18 pound kettlebell is likely going to be the best weight to start with. Now, if you are performing a kettlebell press or turkish get up, probably going to use a lighter weight. As some others have said, you don't want to go 'too light' especially for a kettlebell swing.

The best thing you could do is to get qualified instruction, even if only for 1 session. You'll learn a ton and if you have a properly trained instructor, the feedback will be incredible. You'll not only learn how to do the exercises safety, but with the most effectiveness so you get the best results. Kettlebells is all about "moving better." It's very different from traditional weight training because all of the exercises are total body exercises that require practice and skill.

I'm sorry to say, but I would NOT recommend the DVD from Jillian or Bob (I'm sorry). Kettlebells are such a high level skilled movement, you have to learn from someone that has been through the proper training themselves. I could go on, but enough said.

One final comment on the brand. I wouldn't recommend an inexpensive kettllebell from target or walmart. The premier brand is a Dragon Door kettlebell, but there is a great brand on Amazon that is about $2 per pound and they offer free shipping, at least they used to. That brand is called Body Solid. It's a quality kettlebell with a smooth handle (which is what you want.)
    Well, good training and hope you discover the wonderful benefits of kettlebells, they are simply outstanding if you learn the proper way to use them.
    Cheers!
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    SFCoach took the words right out of my mouth. Just re-read what he wrote. Might add that other quality kettlebells can be gotten from Ader and Lifeline USA.

Go to Dragon Door's website and find a certified instructor near you.......even one session is SO worth the money!
  • Journey2Myself
    Options
    I did a kettlebell bootcamp today and used 10's and they felt heavy for what I was doing.. and I used 12's for overhead presses and 15s for triceps.. but just one..
    it is pretty challenging.. I would say stick with an 8 and a 12 if you want it heavier
  • Journey2Myself
    Options
    oops I lie.. my 15 was for the swing n squat move..
    I used both 12s for my triceps and presses
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Get the Lauren Brooks kettlebell DVDs--she's the best and instructs you on correct form before you launch into the workouts. I started with a 15 lb. bell, which was perfect. However, if you are new to any sort of strength training, you will want to go lighter.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I got me a 5lb to use until I have the moves down right. Then I'm going to the 10lb. and see how it goes.