Shoppin healthy on a buget for.......

Options
WE are on a very tight budget right now. I have a family of 5. My husband being the pickest one. I went to the store tonight to get hot dog bun. They had whole grain fresh buns & then white, i picked up both but knowing i would be the only one eating it, i put them back. they had the same calories in them, 110 but i know the whole grain was better for me. Anybody have some tricks to shoppin healthy for cheap? Im tryin to et my family to atleast try healthier foods. so far my husband will eat the wheat bread at subway & thats about it. I have changed my spaghetti noodles to whole grain. He says he can tell the difference, but its only bc he saw it one night. He had eatin it a # of times thru out a few months & said nothing.

Replies

• Shelleo71
    Shelleo71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm getting him to gradually change it's been a slow process but I've decided (just this week) that if I'm in charge of cooking, shopping etc, then he'll have to try and meet me 1/2 way!

I buy him his pop tarts at least! LOL

I have a hard time shopping on and staying on budget also. I too would love some helpful hints.
  • AviaBatyah
    AviaBatyah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I eat my chili dogs with no buns and when making spaghetti I don't use noodles I use zucchini or squash and some times green beans. My family will not eat whole wheat and when I try to hide it they know. I wrap my sandwiches , tacos , burgers or chicken in lettuce. If I have to have something with whole wheat I make it from scratch. Tortilla's and so on...
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    In my very abundant experience of being broke I've learned that when you have to watch every cent you aren't allowed to be picky. Especially if YOU are the one cooking and buying the groceries. He has ZERO room to complain.

Honestly though, I don't know if 'whole wheat' pasta and bread are going to make that big of a difference. Why not spend LESS money at the farmers market on veggies and supplement them for your breads and pastas. They are cheaper, better for you and fill you up. Oh and did I mention they taste good too?
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    try the website poorgirleatswell. it has lots of suggestions for cheap food that tastes great...and as a picky eater i can tell you that it is not all freaky food (just some :))
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    You might want to look into cooking food in bulk that will last throughout the week and that can be easily interchangeable with meals. I will usually bake enough chicken breasts to last me throughout the week and will vary from day to day with a salad, wrap, sandwich, etc. I also make a lot of chili and salads. You want to keep things simple because you're on a budget yet healthy, because you want to lose weight.

You might also want to look into sneaking healthy stuff into recipes (ex.: butternut squash mac and cheese with broccoli... I swear, no one can taste anything but the cheese)... and don't tell anyone what you put in there. My dad acts the same way.

Plan your grocery shopping around actual recipes. You'll know exactly how much you need for your family, and it will reduce the risk of wasting food. That alone has saved me a lot of money.

Hope this helps.
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My husband did the same thing with whole wheat pasta at first. Now he doesn't mind because that's what he had eaten so much before knowing what it was LOL My trick is to not tell anyone anything is different until after dinner LOL

I tend to search for recipes that are healthy and yummy. There are tons out there that do not taste like "healthy: food and my family doesn't know it is good for them. LOL

It's hard when they don't want to switch over. I refuse to cook 2 dinners etc. If I am making something higher in calories then I would normally have then I watch my calories the rest of the day so I have it. If you can only afford 1 type of bread, plan for it in your calories (do you have a bread thrift store near you? You could buy both cheaper than 1 at the regular store).

I know that wasn't much help. Good luck! You can do this. Don't let a tight budget become an excuse for not doing this (not saying you will - I have done that before)
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    100daysofrealfood.com is awesome! She (the blog writer) did a month long challenge of eating whole natural healthy good tasting food on a budget of what a family of 4 would receive on food stamps. She has great recipes that are easy and inexpensive. Plus she is really responsive to emails with questions as well.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    In my very abundant experience of being broke I've learned that when you have to watch every cent you aren't allowed to be picky. Especially if YOU are the one cooking and buying the groceries. He has ZERO room to complain.

Honestly though, I don't know if 'whole wheat' pasta and bread are going to make that big of a difference. Why not spend LESS money at the farmers market on veggies and supplement them for your breads and pastas. They are cheaper, better for you and fill you up. Oh and did I mention they taste good too?

I live in east Arkansas & across the river from Memphis, Tn. They dont have farmers markets here at this time of year & rarely in season. I was buying fresh tomatos .....i correct myself we do have one in the spring & summer but they are so high priced thats its hard to shop on the buget i get, plus their selection isnt very wide varienty! When i get the chance it is the first place i go.
  • Shelleo71
    Shelleo71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    All very good ideas. I've started to try some of what you all of suggested already. Got my list ready for Saturday shopping!

Thanks everyone!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The way that I look at it is that you don't really have to spend a ton of money to get healthy foods.
    Chicken is a pretty staple "diet" food and you can find that on sale or buy it in bulk at Sam's Club. We are a family of four and the chicken packs last us for a long while. It can be marinated and grilled or cooked in the oven. Chicken really lends itself well to flavors. Another is pork loin trimmed of all visible fat. If you have a freezer, it can be butchered at home into chops, cubes and roasts.
    Dried beans are cheap, filling and very versatile! Though they are higher calorie they are fiber dense and are just an all around terrific food to keep in your pantry.
    Fruits and veggies are always great! Fresh and frozen preferably but if you have to do canned it's alright too! Fruit can get expensive if you buy exotic or fruit that is out of season. I never, ever buy strawberries in the winter months...it's crazy 8 dollars for 2 pounds...I'll wait for summer.
    Eggs are something that we eat a ton of! I eat a minimum of 4 eggs whites a day. They can be boiled and eaten also. Plus you could always make low cal egg salad :)
    Greek yogurt is also another staple in my fridge, oh and carbmaster "yogurt". I buy Fage at Walmart in the huge tubs. It's a little pricey but it keeps me full and when I get those really bad sweets cravings I'd rather have it than the cereal in the pantry.
    For a long time my husband wasn't on the dieting bandwagon. I still cooked what he enjoyed but I ate smaller portions with huge salads that filled me up. You're doing this for you and it's fantastic!
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    All tips above are great! I will add my couple to them.

I buy frozen veggies in the bigger bags. Cheaper and last longer.

If I am the only one eating the whole wheat bread, I put it in the freezer and just take out what I need each time.

You can steam cauliflower, run it through the blender then add to you mashed potatoes. Gives the family the veggie boost without them knowing it. Again, frozen cauliflower is fine.

We eat alot of beans, they are cheap and we just happen to love them. They fit into a diet plan well. Great protein.

My hubby is a very picky eater. He is retired, therefore he cooks. But, I have been able to fit most everything he does make into my plan. I just add my favorite veggie or whole wheat pasta to the mix and all is well.

Good luck to you. It is hard trying to change the eating habits of others. And to be honest, it costs alot more for 'healthy' foods, than processed.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I just buy and cook what I am gonna cook...I don't give my husband a choice...
  • ohnogogo
    ohnogogo Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You all are nicer than me. I make dinner and they know not to complain at me because the answer will be... "don't like it, feel free to starve". Sure, I got complaints at first like "If we eat what you eat we are going to lose weight". I told them that was silly, that we were all going to be eating healthier and no one was going to be facing plates of celery sticks or mugs of broth from some inane diet of the week.

A couple of nights a week I make separate meals for my husband and the kids, things that are a bit higher in calories, fat or carbs then I want to be eating. Like tonight they had homemade baked macaroni & cheese that was made with whole grain pasta, fresh grated cheese, etc. Not some crap from a blue Kraft box. I made myself a little something different.

I completely respect staying on a budget and how it is necessary to cook things that everyone will enjoy. Yes, we all probably would enjoy eating pizza, burgers or something cheap and convenient from a box- but it isn't healthy!. I just feel our families need to respect us, what we are trying to do for ourselves and for them as well by making healthy foods. Like I said, if they don't want to eat it they can feel free to starve. That means more leftovers for later. :wink:
  • brendabuckeye
    brendabuckeye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking: How much broccoli can you buy for the same price as pop tarts? I still buy my hubby and kids pop tarts, but that is about all of the junk around here. Glad to hear I am not alone. I just try to stick to what is on sale, and yes, if I have to do the shopping, then any one who complains is welcome to take over and make the budget last a week. :smile:
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options

I live in east Arkansas & across the river from Memphis, Tn. They dont have farmers markets here at this time of year & rarely in season. I was buying fresh tomatos .....i correct myself we do have one in the spring & summer but they are so high priced thats its hard to shop on the buget i get, plus their selection isnt very wide varienty! When i get the chance it is the first place i go.

Times must have changed a lot since I lived in AR. I was born in Conway and lived in Mountain View. There was always something fresh and seasonal for very cheap. If you don't have that option, I would do like many have suggested and buy in bulk and prep for the week. You're going to get a higher yeild:cost ratio. Good luck!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    personally this is what i do. go to a health food place, like whole foods market, veggies, buy frozen, get their whole foods brand/365 brand. ive found there is actually some healthy cereal and pastas that are cheaper and healthier, def healthier, than other stores that dont have natural ingredients in them. you can shop just as cheap at these kind of stores if you get their brands, as shopping at other stores, i found a multi-grain cereal for 2.00, which is way cheaper than the local grocery store. good luck, and you can do it.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I just buy and cook what I am gonna cook...I don't give my husband a choice...

EXACTLY! It's nice to be considerate but if it's your job to make it happen then do it your way!
  • CassPerkins
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else mentioned it but coupons is the way to go. You aren't going to really be able to use them for healthy stuff. The best you can do is buy what is on sale or in season. Coupons are great for other things. I would try to steer clear of processed foods, even though most coupons are for that, but you can still get cereals, soups and whatnot with it. What you save can be used towards getting milks, produce and meats. Also shop locally rather in supermarkets for your produce. You can also try to grow certain vegetables and there are certain farms that let you (and some friends) buy an animal. They do all the work for you, all you do is take your portion of the meat home.
  • wildrosekasey
    wildrosekasey Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was just saying today that it seems like getting healthy is SO much more expensive than not!! Healthy food always seems to cost more =( I have a different problem in that its just the two of us. It seems like we waste food trying to cook healthier meals. Drives me crazy!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tight your budget is but I feed my family of 2 adults and 2 kids for 500$ a month. You can make crock pot meals for cheap with beans, rice, veggies (canned or whatever cheapest) and lower cost cuts of meat like chicken thighs, hamburger, drumsticks etc. Make sure leftovers become lunches. Stock up on soups when they go on sale. Sandwiches and pastas may have to be eaten more often. Don't buy convience food like fruit roll ups and cheese strings. Buy in bulk and package into individual sizes yourself. Use coupons whenever possible........buy store brand instead of name brand.

as for hubby........I'd tell he has 2 choices, eat what you make or don't. If you are on a tight budget no one can be picky. As long as there is food on the table it's all good.