Shoppin healthy on a buget for.......

Options
2»

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    -Beans, dried are cheapest, and you can cook them unseasoned in large batches and freeze them. Cans are more expensive, but still cheaper than meat. Lentils are small enough that you can buy dried and cook without much work.
    -Brown rice, if you buy it in bulk you can get it for not much more than white rice (don't buy the fancy small boxes). It's a lot healthier than white rice, it's also cheap. You can pre-cook brown rice, then freeze it and reheat just before you eat, that way you don't have to wait for it to cook every night. You can also fill in with things like whole wheat pasta as a treat. Quinoa is also good if you can find it on sale, just be sure to rinse it really well.
    -Buy fruits and veggies that are in season--they're less expensive and taste better. Frozen fruits and vegetables are also healthy. For veggies, I particularly like frozen broccoli, green beans, and peas. For fruit frozen berries and peaches are particularly good buys. Depending on where you live, farmer's markets may or may not be cheaper than the grocery store.
    -Canned tuna is a reasonably inexpensive source of fish.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    -Beans, dried are cheapest, and you can cook them unseasoned in large batches and freeze them. Cans are more expensive, but still cheaper than meat. Lentils are small enough that you can buy dried and cook without much work.
    -Brown rice, if you buy it in bulk you can get it for not much more than white rice (don't buy the fancy small boxes). It's a lot healthier than white rice, it's also cheap. You can pre-cook brown rice, then freeze it and reheat just before you eat, that way you don't have to wait for it to cook every night. You can also fill in with things like whole wheat pasta as a treat. Quinoa is also good if you can find it on sale, just be sure to rinse it really well.
    -Buy fruits and veggies that are in season--they're less expensive and taste better. Frozen fruits and vegetables are also healthy. For veggies, I particularly like frozen broccoli, green beans, and peas. For fruit frozen berries and peaches are particularly good buys. Depending on where you live, farmer's markets may or may not be cheaper than the grocery store.
    -Canned tuna is a reasonably inexpensive source of fish.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I noticed that our local farmers markets were alot higher this year. A small basket of tomatoes was $6. I have started buying roma tomatoes and only when on sale. Wally World has them for 99 cents right now, so I bought some.

I also buy a couple of spaghetti squash each week. Love it. Can be kinda high, but if you shope around you can usually get a good deal. I don't coupon alot because we just dont eat those foods. But, I do add match at Wally World.

I wait till someone has chicken breast for 99 cents a pound and then I stock up. Whole fryers are a good choice too, roasted in the oven or cooked in the crock pot. Yummmy.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I was just saying today that it seems like getting healthy is SO much more expensive than not!! Healthy food always seems to cost more =( I have a different problem in that its just the two of us. It seems like we waste food trying to cook healthier meals. Drives me crazy!!

There is only 2 of us, also. Muffin tins and ice cube trays are a great tip. You can make mini lasagnas, mini meat loaves, etc. What you don't eat, freeze for later. I put spaghetti sauce in ice cube trays, freeze. With both the muffin tins and ice cube trays, once your food is frozen, pop them out and put them in freezer bags till needed.

I love a couple of cubes of spaghetti sauce on my spaghetti squash with a tablespoon of parmesean cheese. Makes for a great tasting, low calorie lunch.
  • thestillwitch
    thestillwitch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel ya. My husband is in charge of cooking. (I work a ton, he's a student and on vacation to boot--only fair!) He's actually underweight and can eat whatever he wants without gaining a pound, so he has no idea what this whole "eating healthy" thing is about. He's doing pretty well on keeping us on budget, but admittedly, we eat a lot of soup!
  • wildrosekasey
    wildrosekasey Posts: 26 Member
    Options

There is only 2 of us, also. Muffin tins and ice cube trays are a great tip. You can make mini lasagnas, mini meat loaves, etc. What you don't eat, freeze for later. I put spaghetti sauce in ice cube trays, freeze. With both the muffin tins and ice cube trays, once your food is frozen, pop them out and put them in freezer bags till needed.

I love a couple of cubes of spaghetti sauce on my spaghetti squash with a tablespoon of parmesean cheese. Makes for a great tasting, low calorie lunch.

thats an awesome idea! plus i got these great mini casserole dishes for christmas. i really just need to start thinking smarter and using the tools and ideas around me. thanks for the reminder!!
  • paigebolling
    paigebolling Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have switched to the healthier pastas myself and I can also taste a difference. I haven't yet tried it but I read somewhere that if the family doesn't like the taste of the whole wheat pasta to mix half-and-half normal pasta and whole wheat. Also, at my local wal-mart they have a great value brand of whole wheat pastas now and it is of course cheaper than brand name. As far as bread goes, I purchase Natures Own White Wheat. Its soft like white bread but has more fiber.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend homemade healthy Mexican, I make a killer tostada (using Trader Joe's high fiber low carb tortillas ) topped with refried black beans, soft scrambled egg white/Reddi-Eggs, and a few shrimp (you could use chicken), topped with reduced fat shredded cheese,, diced tomatoes, green onions or cilantro, and greek yogurt (instead of sour cream)....super filling, lots of protein and fiber.

adding frozen chopped spinach to lots of things (meat loaf, burgers, soups) for extra veggies and fiber and it's cheaper than fresh spinach. carrots and celery tend to be super affordable and you can dip in hummus or a dip made with 0% fat greek yogurt and onion soup mix or lots of creative dips for snacks.

also i love to come up with yummy sandwich combo's, using a strip of bacon as a taste boost to cold cuts or tuna or egg salad and 0% greek yogurt as a mix-in with garlic mayo to make it go further with no fat/some extra protein.

soup is an excellent filling meal and you can make it a meal by adding in chicken or beef, and making some homemade garlic bread triangles (using high fiber whole fiber bread).

i also have fun making healthier mac n' cheese (again, you can add chicken and lean ground beef for added protein) and more of a meal.

have fun cooking!
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    PS. regarding healthier pasta.

i personally love whole grains but just don't enjoy the taste of whole wheat pasta....it's not cheaper but if you have a health food store or Whole Foods near you, try quinoa pasta, it's higher in protein and fiber than even whole wheat and there is no taste difference......it's all i use now.

i've also used spelt pasta, there is some taste difference but i still think it's better taste than whole wheat