Eating back workout calories

Options
WIll not eating back workout calories burned (usually 400-500 ish) Really hinder me in losing weight? I aim for 2 pounds a week, eat 1200 cals a day, and have done fine with it for the most part, but I have taken somewhat of a break in December and am getting back into it when I go back to school next Tuesday. On some days I also do a workout class which is usually an hour long on top of my regular workouts, and will sometimes feel sluggish because I never eat back my workout calories. Just wondering, thanks!

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    My opinion: If you feel sluggish from not eating them, you should definitely eat them.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    a) Yes. b) You answered your own question when you said you feel sluggish. Listen to your body. c) With only 16 lbs to lose, you shouldn't be at 2lbs per week anyways.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    a) Yes. b) You answered your own question when you said you feel sluggish. Listen to your body. c) With only 16 lbs to lose, you shouldn't be at 2lbs per week anyways.

Listen to this advice!

If you are feeling sluggish then you need to eat them back. 2 pounds a week is more for people who have a lot to lose.... and people who don't should really be set at a pound to half a pound a week loss.
  • ChristopherFiss
    ChristopherFiss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You don't need to replace all your 'workout calories' but you should make sure that you are taking in enough protein to help with the loss and rebuilding of muscle during a workout. Grab an extra serving of chicken and an apple, or if you like the taste of particular protein bars, they can be a great 'fake candybar' to help you regain a little of your lost energy and avoid the slug-mode. Just make sure if you are grabbing a protein bar that they aren't literally just chocolate bars with protein powder mixed in...watch the fat and sodium.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything new to add - I am in agreement that if you feel sluggish then you should eat more. You lose weight by eating so if you are hungry and feel sluggish maybe grab some fruit or something that will put nourishment back into your system. I also agree that if you are only losing 16lbs that you should aim for about 1lb per week. It's important to make sure that you feed your body what it needs, otherwise you are doing the opposite of what you want. We all want the weight to come off as soon as possible, but I thought that doing it 1lb per week would be the smartest and easier way for me.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You don't need to replace all your 'workout calories' but you should make sure that you are taking in enough protein to help with the loss and rebuilding of muscle during a workout. Grab an extra serving of chicken and an apple, or if you like the taste of particular protein bars, they can be a great 'fake candybar' to help you regain a little of your lost energy and avoid the slug-mode. Just make sure if you are grabbing a protein bar that they aren't literally just chocolate bars with protein powder mixed in...watch the fat and sodium.

And sugar! My trainer suggests that I don't eat anything over 6 grams of sugar per serving, unless it's fruit because that's a natural sugar.
  • ChristopherFiss
    ChristopherFiss Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah, having an apple or a few strawberries can help in a multitude of ways, and while they do pack on the sugar in your nutrition tracker, they're the lesser of evils by far. :)