2011: Good, bad, indifferent?

Options
Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
So, we are coming up on the end of 2011, as hard as it is to fathom (this year has flown by for me!).

How was it for you?

Mine was a mixed bag. I got a huge national fellowship as part of my degree program and bought my first house (awesome), but also watched my grandmother die from small-cell lung cancer. My grandfather, her widow, is not doing well now either, so it seems that he might not make it much longer either. I've hit the age where a whole generation is dying off, and it's very sad.

Replies

• Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    There was some very good moments meeting up with friends here.
    Some sad,mom passed away after years of infirmity and unable to care for herself,guess that was bittersweet given how unhappy her life was.

Hoping for a new beginning in 2012.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    2011 was a decent year for me... Getting out of a no good relationship, putting my health first, and the day my older brother finally got married was the highlights of my year. But I have a great feeling that 2012 is my year :)
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    glad it's over, it was a crappy year for everyone in my circle. I'm putting it past me as a stronger person, so I'm thankful for that.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's ending on a high note... mostly because of the positive changes I've been making (yay MFP!). Had a great vacation with friends... spent time with my adorable twin nephews (who can ALMOST say "Auntie" now!!)

Other parts were not so good... wasted too much time on someone who wasn't worth the tears.

But... bigger and better things ahead!!!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Good and bad. I had a baby an lost my father in law at the same time, among other family things, uhg what a horrible year, but my daughter was the good part!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I like all the optimism :)
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    MFP is something that changed my life in 2011 and I am so happy for it. My (second) cousin was born on March 22 and is an absolutely perfect, beautiful, and sweet little munchkin that i miss every day. most of it was spent on the of my seat waiting to hear updates every day about my aunt who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in January. She died on November 8th. I spent part of her last night alive with her and i will forever be grateful for that. i was priveleged enough that my uncle insisted that i was a pall bearer at her funeral which was heart-wrenching but an honor. but the fear, pain, and absolute sorrow from her sickness and her passing put a damper on everything i did or experienced this year. i can't lie- i'm glad to see 2011 go.
    sorry- i did have good points. it was just a really tough emotional year.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    2011 was pretty nice to me. Sure there were some disasters, but no lives were lost, so all is well.
    For me, I lost weight I've never lost before. I discovered a love of running and ran in my first 5k. And I went on two dates. :)
    All of this makes me hopeful for 2012 to be My year.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    It sucked. I got divorced.
    But that just leaves new room for a decent guy in 2012.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The good --
    I was able to maintain my weight within a few pounds but have more weight to lose (see below)
    Became certfied to teach Turbo Kick
    Taught my first Zumba class
    Kept up an exercise routine most days of the week
    I joined MFP -- made new friends and rekindled with old friends
    One relative and one good friend recently had new arrivals

The bad --
    I have really struggled with WW's PointsPlus plan. It changed in December and it doesn't seem to be so hard now
    I have tried to get a new job all year with no success
    I took little to no time off -- I not only lost days but started the holiday with a bad back
    My gym just closed last week and the new one is five miles away -- no more walking for me!
    Some of my relationships have taken a hit for numerous reasons
    My self-esteem is in the toilet -- I made a lot of unfulfilled promises to myself

Looking forward to 2012 --
    I am looking forward to meeting both babies and being active in their lives (while I decide whether I want one of my own)
    I went to the new gym and while I am sickened by the drive it is well regarded and offers many amenities
    I am optimistic that I will earn what I am worth!
    I will be taking a serious look at my relationships (two in particular) and may be making some hard choices
    I promised some family members that I would visit them next year (they are in other parts of the country) and I want to visit a few cities on my own
    I will be 40 in 2013 and need to look fabulous!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I've had better years and I've had worse. Looking forward to 2012 because other then my kids I'm completely focusing on myself. Well scratch that - my Grandma too.......but I am going to take care of myself!!
  • Multistyles
    Options
    Mine can be summed up with these words."What don't kill you only makes you stronger."
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    GOOD!
    - lost 50 lbs
    - got a gym membership
    - turned 21
    - getting closer to graduation
    - went out on my first date. it didn't turn into anything, but it was fun

2012 should be interesting...graduating college, getting a job, family vacation, hope to lose more weight!
  • Multistyles
    Options
    glad it's over, it was a crappy year for everyone in my circle. I'm putting it past me as a stronger person, so I'm thankful for that.
    100% how my year was
  • Multistyles
    Options
    Mine can be summed up with these words."What don't kill you only makes you stronger."
    lol ok its killing me that i put don't..what doesn't kill you blah blah blah lol
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Worst year of my life so far.
    BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
    grow-emotionally-months-bone-breakup-ecard-someecards.jpg
    and
    whatever-kill-makes-suicidal-sympathy-ecard-someecards.jpg
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I agree with sunkisses. **** 2011.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    lol ok its killing me that i put don't..what doesn't kill you blah blah blah lol

Get's the point across anyway! :smile:
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    I wasn't good for me. Shed lots of tears, got in many fights.
    However, I met lots of new people in 2011 that I hope to strengthen my friendships with :)
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Close to my worst year ever. Getting divorced after 20 years with a controlling emotional and verbal and occasionally physically abusive man. May have just found out he was also a cheater.

Good points: home is more peaceful for me and my sons without him around.

2012: will still be in process of getting divorced so not looking forward to the battles ahead.