Resting pulse

Options
What is normal for adult females? I have been on beta blockers for 2.5 years (stopped them under doctor's instructions 6 days ago) and mine is now around 65-70.

A few weeks ago mine was at a low of 38 (hence told to stop) but normally while on meds it was around 52, so 70 seems really high to me, so am wanting a reality check!

Replies

• frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Since getting more fit, mine is in the 65 to 75 range. It used to be in the mid 90's. :o
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    That's in the text book normal range
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Mine is around 68 :) when I was hooked on prescription amphetamines my resting heart rate was around 140... So I've come a long way in becoming healthy!
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    Normal resting is 70-80. Mine is never normal.m.I have tachycardia so even with meds & ablation my heart beats faster.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    Mine is around 52-56. I've never really taken it first thing in the morning before getting out of bed. I'm still big, but I workout a lot so I think it has probably lowered through this. I am actually curious what it may have been back when I was 308 lb, but I don't remember if I ever took it.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I guess with having a heart problem that involves the heart randomly racing at 240bpm I am a bit paranoid about a higher pulse, but I guess 52 was on the low side.

As a side point, does the increase in pulse off the meds mean my metabolism might sneak up a notch too???
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    My rest HR tends to sit between 45 and 50. Anybody know if that's good?
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    According to http://www.livestrong.com/article/363352-relationship-between-pulse-rate-metabolism/ the lower your resting pulse rate, the more efficiently your body metabolizes oxygen and calories. So it seems that your metabolism will slow a little.
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    My rest HR tends to sit between 45 and 50. Anybody know if that's good?

That's awesome. When I was uber super fit back in my younger days lol, mine was 42, and my then Dr. said, any slower and you'd be dead... He said he was joking, and that it was a very good resting HR
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    50-60's, Your's sounds fine!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've checked mine in the morning and it is quite low - between 42-45.

After reading these posts, that seems so very low. I usually check it 3 days in a row (or 3 days in a row where I don't wake up to the alarm) and I usually do it at least once a month. I've had it go as low as 40 and as high as 50. But, those are the averages.

I just checked it - I know morning is best, but I was curious - it was 56.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    when he was winning the TDF, lance armstrong had a resting rate of 32.
  • VanessaMFaulkner
    Options
    @emma do you take meds or had an ablation to help slow it down? I did/am. Now I get the pleasure of going in for a heart cath next week because something is right. Be careful please!
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    Your all good folks, there is a good chart to look at here http://www.netfit.co.uk/fitness/test/resting-heart-rate.htm If your RHR is in the low 50's, it means you're cardiovascular system is working very efficiently, much like that of an elite athlete. I only worry about mine if it stops....:sad:
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My RHR is usually in the 40's. I went to my Doc about it, but he just told me its a 'great thing'. So, I'm not worrying about it for now.
  • shasha_84
    Options
    mine is 55
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    As a side point, does the increase in pulse off the meds mean my metabolism might sneak up a notch too???

Yes.

Women on avg have higher max heart rates, and resting, than men. But also tend to not reach those upper available highs when exercising.
  • kritastic
    Options
    From a medical standpoint, technically 60-100 is considered normal. This of course varies from person to person and some fit people may have a pulse lower than this without it being of concern, but if you are experiencing dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath or similar symptoms, you should see a doc. Those can all signs that your heart is not efficiently pumping enough oxygen to your body/brain. The same can happen if your heart rate is too high because the heart does not have time to fil efficiently before pumping the blood to your body. If your not experiencing symptoms and you are fairly close to normal range theres probably no need to worry, everyone is different.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    From a medical standpoint, technically 60-100 is considered normal. This of course varies from person to person and some fit people may have a pulse lower than this without it being of concern, but if you are experiencing dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath or similar symptoms, you should see a doc. Those can all signs that your heart is not efficiently pumping enough oxygen to your body/brain. The same can happen if your heart rate is too high because the heart does not have time to fil efficiently before pumping the blood to your body. If your not experiencing symptoms and you are fairly close to normal range theres probably no need to worry, everyone is different.

I've had an EKG and was told it was "textbook perfect". I have very low blood pressure (and always have - my mom is the same way). So, I guess it is just normal for me.