BF% question

Options
Hi all!
I just got my BF% measured and it's quite high.. 36.6% - I know 20% is the ideal for women, or should I aim for higher? Also, what is a realistic BF% loss over time. Should I aim for 1% a month? More? I really don't know much about it so please feel free to send URL's and so forth ;)

Another question, is there a BMR calculator that actually lets you input your BF% to get a more accurate figure for your BMR? I tried googling but couldn't find one. Thanks

Replies

• StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'd love to know the answer too as I know NOTHING about Body Fat percentages.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Never mind about the BMR thing anyway, I eventually found a calculation that tells you your BMR based on your lean mass

The way it said to do it was as follows (for anyone reading this and needing to know the same)

Calculate your weight - eg 192 lbs
    My body fat percentage is 36% (36% of 192 is 69lbs fat, 123lbs lean)
    Lean body mass is 123lbs which = 55.79kg lean body mass (used google to convert lbs to kg)

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 55.79) = 1,575cal is my BMR

This is about 100 less than a standard BMR calculator has told me me, so I have been running off wrong calculations :(:(
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I don't know about your goals, up to age 35 25% is still considered healthy so I'd go for that first. Weight training and whole foods should be your best friend. Once you lose 10% bf (I don't know about time frame) you can re-evaluate your goals.
  • HonkyTonks
    Options
    Thanks for this - does anybody know roughly what I should aim for on a monthly, 6 monthly basis if I am going from 36% to 25%. I know it's going to vary from person to person but a rough estimate. And any tips for how to ensure I am losing fat, rather than muscle when losing weight (other than weight training)
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    There are several try googling these:

Katch McArdle Formula (most accurate)
    Harris-Benedict formula

I use this site to work out my BF% the tape measure method is the one I use.
    http://www.linear-software.com/online.html
    Don't worry about the caliper stuff, just scroll down until you find where you put the figures in and the tape method is in there.

I hope it helps!
  • HonkyTonks
    Options
  • Longbowgilly
    Options
    Cool!

Its really helpful to know the figures are correct!!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Eat at least 1 gr of protein per pound of your LBM then you don't have to worry about losing muscle if you don't eat enough calorie.
  • I don't think 20% is the goal/average for women - seems a little low! Only because I know once you get below about 17% potential health risks can occur, like loss of your period and reproductive functions. I think 20% is a GREAT goal (its mine in fact!), but I think 23-28% is more likely to be more of the standard in health for women.

Currently, I'm 24% body fat if you wanna check out my pictures to get a better idea!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The advice usually given regarding don't try to lose more than 2lbs a week is because more than that would be more than just fat. If you can keep it at 2 or less, usually fat.

Depending on how your BF% was measured, the % of inaccuracy will probably more than compensate for non-fat weight loss/gain on the scale.

Meaning - don't go by percentages of BF for weight loss. You next visit could be off 3% the other direction, and you may think you are not loosing fat or too much.

The problem with that is at the beginning when you first start adding muscle while loosing fat, your weight probably won't change and may go up. Hammer through that until you are back to 1-2 lbs a week.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    1% a month would be awesome
    20% for a woman is super low
    Whole foods, protein, weight training, keep training sessions under an hour, aim for slow weight loss
    As you know, BF% measurements have huge daily/method/hydration fluctuations, so aim for consistent measurements, and be strong when they fluctuate or stagnate.

Calipers are under a £10
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    20% is a good number. It can take a while to reach that number. Focus on losing fat and not scale weight. Scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing. If you lose 1 to 2 pounds of fat in a month that's good.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I think 1% is about average until you get closer to your goal, it may slow down a bit. 20% is actually pretty low. 25-30% is actually healthy for a woman. Once you get lower, you get into fitness and then athlete levels.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    While I think it's a fine question, I wouldn't concern yourself too much with it as it won't change your strategy to get there.

If you look in the mirror and see a fit and beautiful person that you are quite pleased with, and you go get your bf% tested and it says 26%, would you change things? I hope not.
  • aaronburgess
    aaronburgess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My BF% is about 12-13%. I'm a male and 37 years old. I am not a fitness expert or an athlete. If I get below 12% I struggle with sleeping and with strength during training. So be careful of going too low.

If you want to reduce your BF% you want to make sure you get enough protein. About .8g to 1g per pound of body weight.
    You might want to consider supplementing with protein drinks. Don't take in extra protein unless you are lifting weights. It will just add calories and lead to weight gain.

I would also recommend a weight training program that works every major area of your body (legs, back, arms, shoulders, abs, chest). This will increase lean mass (muscle and bone) across your body and increase your metabolism. Do the weight training 3-4 days a week and add in some cardio on off days.

The best way to lose body fat is to do it slowly with a consistent weight training program.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    While I think it's a fine question, I wouldn't concern yourself too much with it as it won't change your strategy to get there.

If you look in the mirror and see a fit and beautiful person that you are quite pleased with, and you go get your bf% tested and it says 26%, would you change things? I hope not.

I realise now, that my hope has been damaged from speaking to too many neurotic women
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Last week I went and did the BodPod (on base), which is considered the "gold standard" of body fat testing.

I'm 43 yrs old, 5'8" and 140.2 lbs

Here are the results of my test:

Thoracic Gas Volume - 3.159 L (no clue what that is)
    Body Density - 1.046 kg/L
    Body Volume - 60.828 L
    Body Mass - 140.206 lb
    Fat Free Mass - 108.66
    Fat Mass - 31.546
    % Fat Free Mass - 77.5
    %Fat 22.5

My Body Fat is 22.5% - Lowest Rating of "Moderately Lean"
    My RMR is 1316 kcal/day
    TDEE is Low active 2000 kcal/day

I'd do some reseach online and see if they have a BodPod in your area (some colleges have them) and see how much it cost, they will go over the results with you and help you find a calorie intake for your goals. I found the results invaluable, I will go back every few months to gage my progress.

Hope that helps - Good Luck!!!!!!
  • Longbowgilly
    Options
    It would be interesting to put those figures into the calculator I posted to see what that comes up with TDEE wise.
  • Longbowgilly
    Options

Well said, more people need to think like that!
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I should mention that on Dec. 2nd I had a caliper test done at a local gym. He did 7 spots and he came up with 19.1%, that is what prompted me to have the other test done.

If it is really important to you to have the most accurate test done I'd recommend the BodPod or the water displacement test because the tape measure and calipers all rely on the experience of the person doing the test.

Just a little food for thought.