Gyms in January

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

please quote your sources. it's just good form.
    I can't quote statistics that are aren't available online. But I can quote what is basically said about any New Year's resolution when it comes to follow through:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-power-prime/201001/life-new-years-resolutions-why-they-dont-stick
    and if 15 out of 85 people choose to continue, how is that bad? but let's, please, continue to judge. that's just what good people do, right there.
    That's not the point. The point made was that every January the gym is full of "New Year's resolutionists" that won't be around for after a month. So it's about the INCONVENIENCE of having to deal with longer wait times for equipment.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    During this time I try to find alternatives including at-home workouts and outdoor activities like hiking and snowplay!

I hate how full it gets but it usually dies down by mid Feb. Hang in there.
  • shasha_84
    Options
    I agree! I HATE going to the gyms for the month of January. It is PACKED can barely find a machine. I usually try to go at a different time or run outside till Feb when they all give up for the year.
  • PepperMan98
    Options
    I am hoping my 8-10pm slot is still fairly empty. I joined mid-year, in June, but didn't start going regularly until September. Sort of the opposite of the NYR people. I signed up, then never returned, then showed back up later, lol. Either way, as long as people understand etiquette, and are not on my machine (Because, of course, since I pay dues, it's mine...but I really do love this elliptical/stair-master/treadmill thingy), we should get along just fine. That's why the EVO has a volume up button...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I agree, and I've nothing against people starting fitness.

I'm against gym crimes.

The majority of the january crowd aren't new. I see them every January, the first sunny day of the year, sporting events, and when I was in the forces there would be the two weeks before the fitness test.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Suck. The plague of people trying to fix 5-30 years of abusing their bodies by standing around in a gym for a month decends soon.

Every year it seems to last a little longer.

I'm quoting this to point out some exact words that you said so others will notice.

Please be sure to note that it was said, "... by standing around in a gym..."

This is where I completely agree with the OP (I just got flamed for saying the same thing).

It is frustrating, when you're trying to go to the gym and just get your workout in, but there are 10x the amount of people, and most of those people have no manners in the gym (sitting on a machine for 2 hours during rush hour, not wiping down the machines, etc).
    That's what frustrates me.
    If you're a newbie, and you're trying to get healthy in 2012, by all means, please come to the gym. Ask me questions, I'll help you to the best of my ability. But don't act like you own the place. And don't think that by just coming to the gym and sitting on a machine you're going to get healthier. You're just frustrating the people who want to work out fast and get out.

My opinion.
    Let the flame war begin.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm against gym crimes.
    Fair enough :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    For those that think it's JUDGING, it's not. It's an annual event that happens every January and disrupts many regulars workouts. Unless you've actually worked at a gym, you don't get to hear some of the crap that goes on around this time of the year. As a trainer, I posted a thread about it, I get inundated with "New Year's Clients" who don't show up after week 2 or 3 and I spend a lot of time writing individual programs and working on their BMR's, calorie deficits, and taking stats (bodyfat%, weight, measurements, etc.) so it's frustrating when all that time could have been spent on my daughter or wife instead. Should I just not do all that work? No because I DON'T know who will stick with it so I have to just treat all exactly the same.
    Luckily again it's only once a year it happens.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    For those that think it's JUDGING, it's not. It's an annual event that happens every January and disrupts many regulars workouts. Unless you've actually worked at a gym, you don't get to hear some of the crap that goes on around this time of the year. As a trainer, I posted a thread about it, I get inundated with "New Year's Clients" who don't show up after week 2 or 3 and I spend a lot of time writing individual programs and working on their BMR's, calorie deficits, and taking stats (bodyfat%, weight, measurements, etc.) so it's frustrating when all that time could have been spent on my daughter or wife instead. Should I just not do all that work? No because I DON'T know who will stick with it so I have to just treat all exactly the same.
    Luckily again it's only once a year it happens.

IDEA Fitness member
    Completely understandable. We all spin our wheels at our chosen profession. But we chose it, for some reason.

None of us get to guess at who will listen to our professional advice. Yet we continue to do it because it's our profession and passion. Right?
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I completely forgot crowded the gym gets in January. I've been working out at home about 95% of the time. Fortunately, I have a set of kettlebells and an elliptical at home. So, only recently have I gotten back into the classes at the gym...which I think I'll take a break from come next week and re-start classes in February. :)

THanks for the reminder. I hate crowds - not just the rude people at the gym, but rude people everywhere. Or maybe I just hate people? haha jk....sorta. :)
  • CathyS205
    CathyS205 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started at a gym yesterday, and I can promise that I am in it for the long haul. I started on this site just before Thanksgiving, but was losing weight before that. I'm down 22 lbs now from my highest and will do anything to keep going. I also do karate one night a week. I hope and pray that I don't annoy people at the gym while I am learning my way around. I was going to ask a couple people who appear to be long-time regulars (as there are no trainers at my gym) for help on beginning on the weight lifting equipment, but maybe I'll just try to figure it out on my own when the gym isn't as busy. I don't want to get in the way. I am continuing to make a big lifestyle change, and thankfully everyone I have talked to there so far has been supportive and understanding, but yeah...I'll just stick with what I know for now and stay in cardio world on the ellipticals or bikes to avoid being an inconvenience to anyone.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I did also single out the ones that only attend for a month.

Every year, something I love and is an integral part of my daily life is ruined because just because there's a new number at the end of the date.
    Yes I freely admit I'm judgmental, I just wanted a whinge, and to warn some confused MFPers when they experience their first January in a gym.

Adding to what Ninerbuff us saying, we all know full well how hard a lifestyle change is. If the calender is you're only incentive, you're not likely to make it.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Cathy, the regulars would absolutely love to tell you how it's done, no matter what frowny face they're pulling.

Don't worry about doing something wrong with etiquette, like I said earlier,it's just not being selfish.

Use you time as best you can in the gym, don't try to hog more than one piece of kit, wipe anything you've got sweaty, put away your weights.

Oh and the squat rack's for squatting.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Double
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just started at a gym yesterday, and I can promise that I am in it for the long haul. I started on this site just before Thanksgiving, but was losing weight before that. I'm down 22 lbs now from my highest and will do anything to keep going. I also do karate one night a week. I hope and pray that I don't annoy people at the gym while I am learning my way around. I was going to ask a couple people who appear to be long-time regulars (as there are no trainers at my gym) for help on beginning on the weight lifting equipment, but maybe I'll just try to figure it out on my own when the gym isn't as busy. I don't want to get in the way. I am continuing to make a big lifestyle change, and thankfully everyone I have talked to there so far has been supportive and understanding, but yeah...I'll just stick with what I know for now and stay in cardio world on the ellipticals or bikes to avoid being an inconvenience to anyone.

ASK, ASK, ASK! You will find people are more than willing to help, particularly if you are unsure of what to do. They will help you learn and stick with it instead of get frustrated and leave.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

NO, DON'T WAIT. ASK.
    Trust me, asking help from others is one of the best things you can do. Because then you're asking from people who have experienced it themselves, and you're probably giving somebody a little ego boost when asking for THEIR advice.
    Also, if I was asked for advice by newbies, I'd be so happy! Because it means you're actually looking to stick to it. It shows you're making an effort beyond just hopping on the elliptical and doing what you think is the right thing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Completely understandable. We all spin our wheels at our chosen profession. But we chose it, for some reason.

None of us get to guess at who will listen to our professional advice. Yet we continue to do it because it's our profession and passion. Right?
    True. I'm not in it for the money, I'm in it because I know it's the right thing to do. Being in a Wellness Center (Hospital based gym) rather than a regular gym, I get to see the benefits of how helping others (who are recovering from stroke, heart attack, injury, surgery, etc.) can impact not only their life but their families as well.
    If I did it just for the money, I could work in LA as a trainer to the "stars" and make mega bucks, but that's not me.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Believe it or not, the people that ask are the people who seem to stay longer. Probably because if they get helped, they'll continue. I encourage you to ask. The majority of members in almost any gym are willing to help someone who genuinely needs it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

You should definitely ask! Someone asked me the other day how to work a machine and I was more than happy to help! The majority of people are!
  • CathyS205
    CathyS205 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to be a pain. I know everyone is there for their own reasons and some just want to get done and get out. I don't use any equipment for more than the allowed time, I'm just looking to expand my workout a little more so I can keep my arms and thighs from getting flabby and gross.

As far as wiping down any squat machines, that won't be a problem for me because I won't be using them there. I do enough squats here with the wii game I also use. And doing my 6 karate katas 5-10 times a day also gives me enough squatting. If I stuck with the karate since June '10, I know I will make the gym a long-term thing too. Thanks for all the encouragement.