Losing that extra xmas weight gain

Options
I am so angry with myself for the way I ate over xmas. It was pure greed. It took me months to get about 6lbs of and in 2 weeks I gained 7lb. Is this all fat or will some of it be water weight. I didnt log what I was eating so it will be hard to say how many cals I ate. Is it going to take months to get it of again. I hope not. I am finding it really hard to get back on track again. Every morning I get up I say thats it no junk but I still reach for the sweet things. I decided a few days ago to go cold turkey (as advised by a lot of u in another post). However as yet I still have not managed to do this. I really need to get myself back into gear.

Replies

• carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I joking say to contract a stomach virus...it quickly quashed all of my sugar cravings, and I am getting on track a bit faster than usual for the new year.

Seriously though give yourself a break. It is okay to slip up....it is very easy to do this time of year. The important thing is that you acknowledge it and then get yourself back on track. I do advise the cold turkey method as well, because one craving leads to another, to another, to another. Try to increase your activity. I find whenever I fall off of the wagon the increase in activity not only helps with extra calorie burning, but decreases my hunger. Also diversion can be a great tactic against the cravings. Go for a short walk, read a book, shower, brush your teeth, call a friend...anything to get your mind off of wanting sweets. One craving at a time.
    Good luck...I know it is much harder to do than I make it sound...You need to find the right combination that will work for you.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I notice for myself once I eat sweets I start to crave them everyday. When I get over the craving I seem to do better.
    Tricks I use to wean off sweets:
    Eat a chocolate calicum chew after lunch and dinner
    Eat a couple of gummy omega 3's a day
    Have a few dark chocolate hershey kisses on hand
    Cappuchino with a chocolate protein powder in it
    Make muffins out of choclate cake mix and a can of pumpkin.

These are just suggestions to give yourself a sweet taste that wont break you on calories.

I feel your pain but you can get back to your healthy life!
  • zumbabumba21
    Options
    Well I am dreading weighing myself because I have done exactly the same thing. Last time I looked I had lost about 6lbs and I'm worrying that I've put it all back on. I said I wouldn't go over the top with snacks and because all the food was out I just couldn't help myself. I've just thrown myself back into exercising-30DS and also just dance 3 for an hour a day when I can manage it. I think more activity is the key-also don't be too hard on yourself-this time of the year it's so, so hard not to overeat :( as I also have found out :(
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Get the crap out of your house and replace it with better choices. Mind over matter.
  • jameslucy
    jameslucy Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thats what I aiming to do but I am worried that it will take months to get those 7lbs off like it did before.
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Me too. I put on 4lbs and logged EVERYTHING. technically I should have only put on 2lbs but hey ho! Back to the grind.
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    7 lbs in two weeks - some of it is going to be water. Up your protein, cut your carbs and get some movement going. Log everything in your food diary so that you have that awareness starting you in the face. You can get back on track. Remember, it is a lifestyle change. The last two weeks are over and you can't change it. You can only reflect on it and move forward.
  • sammywil
    sammywil Posts: 104
    Options
    This is the BEST way! I wont have ANYTHING in the house that is chocolate, cake, cookies, candy, chips....notice a pattern? lol they all seem to have the letter "C"

Clear the cupboards of all junk, high calorie foods, then get active. I have found this works really well to fight the craving. Good luck!

Edited as i reposted the wrong quote! doh!
  • sammywil
    sammywil Posts: 104
    Options
    Get the crap out of your house and replace it with better choices. Mind over matter.

This is the quote i meant to repost :)
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thats what I aiming to do but I am worried that it will take months to get those 7lbs off like it did before.

Maybe you need to review your settings, as that seems like a small weight loss?? ( I dont know your circumstances, or how much you have to lose etc.)
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    it takes at least 3 weeks to learn a new habit. most of us already have the good eating and exercise habit established. a week of christmas/holiday revelrie isn't enough time to establish a new (bad) habit. we all just need to make sure that we get back on our good routine before the bad routine becomes the norm. i got back on track tuesday after thoroughly enjoying myself christmas week...
  • nettleboo
    nettleboo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    hello this is my issue right now i gained 5lb over the last feww weeks as i gave up counting and now im regretting it ive exercised so im assuming it would have been more if i coach potatoed it but i think ill have one little pizza and garlic bread new years eve then im back to the grind stone 1/1/12
  • edonald774
    edonald774 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing - ate like a lunatic and now I've put on 7lbs..... starting again today.
    Really annoyed with myself.
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. My Christmas binge started 12/23 and ended 12/26. I re-gained 5.2 pounds. In a matter of 4 days, with getting back on track on 12/26, I have now lost those 5 pounds. It wont take you months to lose if you are really serious about getting back on the wagon. Good luck :)
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    the important thing is dont give up and just keep trying there is a mindset you need of real determination and want for a new you once that kicks in and you are seeing progress then that keeps you going dont worry to much about what was now in the past because that will depress you just plod forward and it will come off just try really hard to log everyday and keep an accurate diary and within your daily allowance and then it will come of at a steady rate .if you need a friend I am willing to be one I will send a friend request which you can link or not no worries.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    How it helps to know we are not alone....:flowerforyou:
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I gained 4 lbs. over Christmas and Christmas Eve, and I just got back under my starting weight on here. I've decided it's simply not worth it, so I'm going to have an under calorie New Year's Eve. But I do like sweets. What my boyfriend and I have agreed to do is parcel them out in individual sandwich bags. One serving per bag. If I really crave a sweet, then I get one bag. Since it's already parceled out, I don't have this huge bag sitting in front of me, which I would have devoured pre-MFP. It is true that the cravings will pass if you don't eat candy, but I feel like if I gave everything up, I'd feel deprived like I have on other "diets," and I'd end up binge eating.