Fast food craving

Options
I really need some help for fast food craving. I used to eat fast food and dining out all the time for the first few years of my university study (where i collected all those extra pounds). Now, I cooked more at home and did not dine out very much. Somehow lately I've got this craving to eat all those food again. Just today, I spent my whole 1200 calorie allowance just for one meal in Mcdonalds and a few days ago I ate an extra 1000 more from my recommended calorie allowance. Does anyone else has this problem as well? Is there anyway to control the craving? Thank you in advance.

Replies

• ThisIs_4_CJ
    Options
    I work in fast food, and spend approximately 70% of my time there. Something to consider when you are craving it is if you they have a healthy salad. I am trying to really hard to eat salads for the restaurant I work for, but I crave red meat. Without red meat, I get very irritable and angry (and extremely sick). So I will eat a hamburger patty cooked without salt, and no bun, just putting the vegetables on it, and even a packet of chili seasoning for a little spice.
  • aamierra
    aamierra Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Never thought to eat salads at fast food restaurant though. Will try next time.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Fast food is designed to make you want more. The typical meal is usually a burger, fries and a soft drink. The combination of fat, salt and sugar creates cravings for more of the same. The only cure for it that I know of is abstinence. Like you, I ate a ton of fast food. Usually in the car on the way to somewhere. I haven't touched it in 7 months and honestly, I don't miss it anymore. If you are determined to move forward in your weight loss, when you have the urge to splurge on fast food, look up the calories first and ask yourself, "Is it worth it?" Also ask yourself, "Why do I really want to eat this?" Sometimes the craving is really stress eating in disguise and the stress is the issue, not the craving.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Whenever I crave the golden arches I think about this:
    http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/09/12-year-old-mcdonalds-hamburger-still-looking-good.html

It's more than a decade old!!!
    No mould, no rotting... that cannot be good for you!!!
    Sooo many cancer causing preservatives in that baby...

UGH!
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    make homemade versions of your favorite fast food items. someone posted a recipe on MFP a few days ago for a home big mac. You can search the internet for recipes for your other favorites as a way to meet your cravings with a healthier version.
  • aamierra
    aamierra Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    EUUWW!!

I ate the whole thing for lunch. That is nasty.
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I eat Wendy's chili a lot. It's filling and seems to be less evil(calorie and fat-wise) than a burger.
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My crave food is a Big Mac. Loaded with crappy calories but oh so yummy. I eat one every 1-2 months and guess what? I'm still losing. Yes I panic after I eat one, but when I weigh in and see a drop in number it makes the cheat day all worth while. No I am not encouraging you to binge on fast food but there's nothing wrong with treating yourself once in a while. Maybe that's why youre craving it, because you feel like you're depriving yourself? I dont know, just my opinion
  • SachaMichel
    Options
    I stopped eating fast food years ago after that Supersize Me documentary came out. If you haven't watched it, the full thing is on Youtube.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you just can't beat the craving - get a Happy Meal instead. Smaller burger, smaller fries. Get water, or a diet soda if you have to.

Or, determine exactly what it is that you're craving - it might not be the whole meal, it might just be the fries. Or just the burger. Or maybe you just really want a shake....in that case, get just that, and don't feel you have to get and eat everything that comes in a meal just because it's 'cheaper' that way.

Don't be afraid to take just a couple of bites for the flavor, really *enjoy* those bites, then throw the rest away, too. Nothing says you have to eat it all. Eat a sensible, low-calorie meal (or get a salad, if you're out), then eat two bites of a juicy, drippy Big Mac for 'dessert'. Then pitch the rest.

I sometimes have a weakness for the McFlurries - what I do now is get a snack-size, and then share that with my kids. Two or three bites is all I need.

As for other fast food - I've really gotten into Wendy's salads - the apple pecan chicken one is amazing, with the blue cheese and the dried cherries and the pomegranate dressing...it's a flavor explosion, for really not very many calories at all (in the half size), and perfectly filling.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. All 4 years of college all I did was basically eat fast food. I still get urges..in fact this morning I was actually thinking I would like some Jack N the Box...however, I think the best thing to do it just not eat it...it will suck but you can do it! I like how someone said make your own version..I make turkey burgers at home a lot..or regualr burgers with lean ground beef. If you can't say no though..just get a burger or a kids meal. Sometimes if I am craving fast food I just get a McDouble from mcdonald and that helps.
  • skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling now to go on a 14 day no fast food break then hopefully after the time is up I can start another 14 days until I no longer want it. i eat out once, sometimes twice each day and now my son is always pointing at a fast food chain when we pass by. I have to eat better for him and make sure he understands that healthy food is better. add me if you need support, I'm struggling w/ this too