Saving Mom from a Heart Attack - FEEDBACK NEEDED

My mom wants me to help her lose weight. Total I think she should lose 82lbs.
She has firbromyalga, osteoarthritis in her spine, arthritis in her knees. She is on several pain meds to even function properly so exercise is almost out of the question till she gets under 200lbs. I bought her a Richard Simmons "Sit Tight" work out dvd last August; its specifically for people in wheelchairs. (She's not in one yet but does use a walker or cane from time to time) I think that 2-3 times a week and maybe her stationary bike 2-3 times a week (just a slow pace for 20mins)
I was thinking an 1800-2000 calorie diet to start. I told her to start to not worry so much about protein/carb ratios, just calories.
She's already had a mild heart attack and I'm afraid I won't have her for another 10yrs if she doesn't lose some weight b/c her health is so bad already. Not just physically but emotionally and mentally. This is a woman that use to be able to do gymnastics, walk on her hands and could party & dance all night long. Think of how depressing that must be to not even be able to walk even around the block w/o pain.

Please an suggestions, advice, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Her stats:
51y.o.
5'7"'
242lbs

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Use the info on the site. MFP has a calculator to figure out the calories needed. Get her to track everything, no cheating. The bar code scanner on the android and iphone apps are great. Makes it really easy to scan a homemade meal in a few seconds.

A lot of people plan out the whole day ahead of time.

In this case, maybe a nutritionist might be in order, or some sort of food doctor.
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    definitely consult a physician first. then maybe work with a trainer or gym familiar with post-cardiac patients... given the damage the first heart attack probably caused, I wouldn't want to have something bad happen without some qualified medical personnel or equipment (ie defib) available.

I lost my mom at 64 from heart disease.. First a mild one at 59, then the killer almost 5 yrs to the day later... Her parents also died from heart disease in their 60s. I'm doing my best to break that cycle. I sympathize. Good luck.
  • I would get a doctor involved. My mother has a bunch of health problems right now including many bone issues and her doctor told her she is not allowed to exercise in her current state until they get her meds regulated. She did end up losing 40 pounds though by making better food choices.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Hi
    Would swimming be an option? Swimming is good because the water supports your weight off your knees and back. Good luck to you and your mom - I am an Australian so we say mum :-)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Have you talked to a doctor, dietician or occupational therapist?
    With her combinations of health issues and weight, better to seek out professional help if it is available.
    This is site is great for support, sharing and keeping track but your situation sounds like something that needs to be reviewed by health professionals.

Note: Until you are able to get the professional guidance you need. Log everything your Mom eats and see how many calories she is consuming per day where they are coming from. Also, if she is not drinking lots of water try and get her to drink the recommended 8 glasses per day. This should be a safe start to losing weight.

Best of luck for you and your Mom.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    I would go the doctor route as well. Maybe they could refer her to physical therapy as well which could really benefit her and make sure she is going in the right direction and not doing more harm than good. Kuddos to you for helping her out.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Her doctor tells her she needs to lose weight but hasn't really offered any other advice.
    There is a gym with a pool near by and I have encouraged that, however she can't afford it. I'm thinking I'll be buying her a membership with my financial aid money.

Her first mild heart attack was at age 35. She also had a hysterectomy that year. Both her parents have congestive heart failure. Like stated tinovr...I'm trying my hardest to not follow in her footsteps and the footsteps of my grandmother (who is also obese - 300lbs or more - I'll be surprised if my Grandma is still alive by next Christmas b/c she's given up the will to live I think.)

The bmr calculator on here told me 1745 for my mom and I've joked that I'm throwing away all the junk food in the house b/c my step dad is also one potato chip away from a heart attack. He is a little overweight but not bad. He could stand to lose 10-20lbs but his blood pressure is HORRIBLE.

She does have an iPhone so I'm thinking of downloading the app onto her phone and showing her how to use it.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,211 Member
    I think that is wonderful that you want to help your mom. Being a larger person, I can tell you trying to lose weight is easier when you have support from your loved ones. :smile: I am not sure if she has been given the ok to exercise and lose weight as you did not mention it. If she has not gotten permission from the doctor I think the first thing I think you need to do is get her to a doctor. Make sure you get his/her consent to exercise. Let her doctor give recommendations on how many calories he/she needs to eat each day and go from there. I think that is fabulous that you got her the Richard Simmons workout that is based on working out in a sitting position. Mention that workout to her doctor and see what he/she thinks. Also have her speak to her doctor regarding MFP and explain the site to him/her. Once your mom gets the "stamp of approval" from the doctor then move forward.

It sounds like you are already doing it, but be supportive of her. Try to remember when it gets tough for her that she is struggling. It's ok, we all struggle with things that are difficult and at times we want to give up. Encourage her and be supportive of her in the most loving way. Guide her through those "bumps in the road". With your love, support and devotion you can help her get on the road to a healthier her and reach her destination!

Best of luck to you and your mom on your journeys! :flowerforyou:
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,211 Member
    Her doctor tells her she needs to lose weight but hasn't really offered any other advice.
    There is a gym with a pool near by and I have encouraged that, however she can't afford it. I'm thinking I'll be buying her a membership with my financial aid money.

Her first mild heart attack was at age 35. She also had a hysterectomy that year. Both her parents have congestive heart failure. Like stated tinovr...I'm trying my hardest to not follow in her footsteps and the footsteps of my grandmother (who is also obese - 300lbs or more - I'll be surprised if my Grandma is still alive by next Christmas b/c she's given up the will to live I think.)

The bmr calculator on here told me 1745 for my mom and I've joked that I'm throwing away all the junk food in the house b/c my step dad is also one potato chip away from a heart attack. He is a little overweight but not bad. He could stand to lose 10-20lbs but his blood pressure is HORRIBLE.

She does have an iPhone so I'm thinking of downloading the app onto her phone and showing her how to use it.

I think you are doing everything right. I would contact her doctor and specifically ask for advice of what he/she wants her to do to lose weight. That is very sweet of you to buy her a membership with your financial aid money. Do you have any siblings, aunts or uncles, anyone else close to her who would be willing to chip in and assist in buying her a membership? That may take some of the financial burden off of you. Maybe you and a few others can chip in and make it a belated holiday gift?

When I first joined MFP my initial calories were in that range too. Oddly enough, I had difficult eating in the 1700 range and always came in around 1500 once I began to eat healthy. As you shed pounds MFP lowers your calories. I have found too that the more you eat healthier, the less you crave all that bad stuff. Though it is very difficult in the beginning when you are trying to get on track and there is "naughty" food tempting you. It may be a good idea to hide the foods she should not be eating until she gains enough will power to pass on those foods.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    I echo the others that suggest returning to the doctor for more specifics. Sometimes it is useful to go to the doctor with a specific proposal. For example, I will walk 10 minutes a day for the first week and plan to add 10 minutes to my daily walk each week until I am walking an our a day. I plan to eat X number of calories and limit my salt to X mgs. In a month I will re-evaluate. Then the dr. can address the specific plan of action suggest and tweak. On pro-active health issues, I find that doctor's do better knowing your baseline ideas. There is so much your mom can do an the early stages to get healthier that I would not consider expending money, particularly your education money, for gym memberships, etc. Remember it is her journey, you are a key companion and supporter, but she needs to stand proud and show you that she can do this. You sound like a great daughter, that alone must provide huge motivation to her to get healthy.