I'm just big boned!!! NOT!

Options
So how has mfp helped me? Well I used to be the one always complaining that ah look at my skinny friends, they eat everything! I don't eat anything and I am huge...I must be just big boned or genetics or somethign! It can't be me!

Well, logging on the past few weeks has really opened my eyes. I have been very honest with myself and have logged in everything in my diary. Even my binges. Guess what? It is me...I am eating way too many calories and what passed in about 1 minute (that's how long my binge would last, as I woof down so much), ends up being my entire full day calories. And this is even with me being mindful of what I am eating, since I know I have to log it on, so most days would be much worse than this.

I have also had the opportunity to look at some of my MFP friends (women) diary's on here. Very enlightening. The ones who have all lost the most (no matter what anyone says) as a whole and on average eat about 1200-1400 calories or even less. These are mostly from people who have lost over 100 lbs. On average they have a workout calorie of 700 per day which they do not eat back. This has been my finding after reviewing so many diaries, and getting conflicting answers. I know this is what I have to acheive also. I don't think I can do it now? can I?

I think what I have come to realize is that of course there is no way I am eating because I am hungry. There are many hidden emotional issues there. I also eat because my body is truly addicted to large amounts of food. Wether that is scientific proof or not, I don't care. I am addicted to food as if it were heroin! When I get the cravings, I think" would I steal money if I didnt have it, just to SCORE some food?", and my answer in the heat of the moment is YES. THAT IS AN ADDICTION. I am not religious and I know the 12 steps are for people who believe in a higher power...but I really need to go to re-hab. Are there re-hab centers for food addiction?

I am glad I am here and I intend on being honest every day and logging in all the food and pouring out my emotions, to myself, everyday, until I figure this thing out. Too many years of life have been wasted, so there is no turning back. I am going to use all the support I can get.

Replies

• annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    here to support you! after a few wks and a loss of 6 lbs i finally decided to try eating the way i did when i lost it the last time and go figure, bam, 5 lbs gone in a wk!
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sure you'll love this site, it's really helpful.

Good luck on your journey!
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    I really do have big bones :cry: Its very sad. My doctor said it was gentic. My grandfather was 6'11 and passed on his huge wrist spand. Even when I weighed less my wrists have been huge....

But hopefully I can beat this thing...big bones and all :ohwell:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    We are all loaded down with rationalizations, excuses and blame.
    The simple truth is we did this to ourselves.

And you, and ONLY you are the author of your future health.
    That's it.
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Wow! what an amazing post! You can do it! THIS IS your food addiction re-hab! Use it wisely and honestly and it will help you every step of the way.

Also, many, many people drop down to 1200 cals a day but I am going to speak for myself here and say that I took baby steps to get there! I did what you did and logged EVERYTHING that touched my lips for a few weeks to get an idea of where I REALLY was. Ideally you can cut 500 cals a day to lose a pound a week.....this works most of the time but don't focus on the goal of a pound a week. Look at the bigger picture of a SLOW and STEADY weight loss...that's what counts. We focus too much on a certain number by a certain day and that will just wreck you emotionally!!!
    Start by changing ONE thing each week...say you stop drinking soda at lunch this week. Next week you add 2 more glasses of water. The next week you decide to exercise 2 days for 30 min. etc.....baby steps, just like any other addiction!

Good Luck to you! This site is amazing!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have also had the opportunity to look at some of my MFP friends (women) diary's on here. Very enlightening. The ones who have all lost the most (no matter what anyone says) as a whole and on average eat about 1200-1400 calories or even less.

I would also suggest that you look at longevity of loss, rather than just the average calories. How long are these women keeping the weight off? Because maintaining is the truest measure of success.

When I was 23, I had 100 lbs to lose, I went on a strict 800-1000 calorie a day diet and worked out about 2 hours a day - every day. Did the weight come off? Sure! Did it come off really fast? You bet! I lost 100 pounds in about 6 months. Did it stay off? Heck, NO! I ended up with a messed up metabolism and some level of exercise bulimia.

I'm going about it completely differently this time. I am accepting slower weight loss, I am not dieting at all, I am practicing moderation and intuitive eating. I eat about 2000 calories a day and have been consistently losing weight. I've never stepped on the scale and NOT seen a loss. I am exercising regularly, but not rearranging my life to do more/longer workouts. This time, I lost 41 pounds in 39 weeks. Sure, that's not as fast as past weight loss attempts. But it's been painless and effortless, and something I can continue for life.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You know, thank you for posting this. So many people believe they have big bones...not true! I may have thought it a bit myself, but once you get on here, you realize you were cheating yourself the whole time!
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Everything you said is soooo true! I've had those same realizations. I actually thought, and said, that if I ever got to 120lbs I would look like I was dying. I thought at 5'4 I was still just "bigger" than everyone else who was my height. I'm not there yet, but guess what? I would look fine and could probably stand to loose a few more at that weight.

I found a picture of myself the other day from when I maybe the fattest I've ever been, and wow. Just wow. Even my husband, who is sitting next to me in the picture, doesn't remember me being that big. I rationalized myself all the way into being delusional about how I really looked.

All those years of working out so hard, yet eating WAY WAY WAY over my calories needs, let alone at a deficit, I feel like it's so simple; Count calories.
  • rflowers2
    rflowers2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I believe in food addiction. I think I have it, too. Although I am at a good weight now having lost 25 lbs tracking for two years on Livestrong.com, I think about food CONSTANTLY!!! I moved over to MFP because it is a better site and I like it so far. You can do it, but it takes resolve. One mantra I have used is "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." also you must track every single thing that enters your mouth. If you are making a pb&j for someone else and you lick the butter knife, track it! It is a hassle, so you will stop licking the butter knife and save yourself 25 calories (equal to 10 minutes of walking on the treadmill). And you are right, don't eat back the calories you burn exercising. Your body will use up the fat you have stored over the years. Think "I am using up my big arms right now."
    I still have big arms! Maybe my mom was right that I am "big boned"! - NOT. I just have to keep working. You can do it too!
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It takes courage to say the things you have said and even more courage to say them to others. An addiction to food is not like any other addiction; you cannot give up food like you can drugs, alcohol or gambling. I have been down this road as well, and I have also had an over-spending disorder as well. There are some great forum topics on this site. Do a search for BED (binge eating disorder) or OED (overeating disorder). There are also some amazing books out there; Geneen Roth is superb. Feel free to add me as a friend if you are looking for more support.
    All the best to you on your journey. Reach out any time you need to.
  • Fashionista012
    Fashionista012 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thank you so much! I am looking forward to our journey together. So inspiring to see so many people feel the way I do and have beaten this thing! I am here if anyone needs me!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the realization and writing a post about it. I have a friend who had a binge eating problem. She's been my best friend for 20 years and I had no idea! In any case, she told me she went to therapy and hypnotism and it helped her somewhat. I think in most of these cases there is some extent of emotional/anxiety issues, so therapy might help.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    That's awesome that you have realized it AND you did your own research on yourself to figure that out. You didn't need any book, internet, talk show host to tell you how to successfully lose weight!

Being honest is key. It is with all successes! Keep being honest in your diary no matter who can see it or how bad it looks. be honest, you can always review the day and decide what you could have done without and improve in the future. You will succeed this way!