New to MyFitnessPal!

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm new to MyFitnessPal! My sister and brother-in-law have both used this site and love it. They are both very successful and look great! I would like to lose weight to become healthier. I'm 22 and have too many health issues due to being overweight. I hate waking up and looking in the mirror thinking "oh my gosh you're so fat" and feeling ugly. I deserve to wake up and think "Wow, I feel great and look pretty good too!" lol. I know it doesn't happen overnight, but with hard work I think I can accomplish the things I want to. I have a horrible habit of emotional eating: I eat when I'm bored, upset, mad, happy, excited, nervous and many others. I have a love for food in general... I tend to think it tastes good and I'll randomly think "oh my gosh, I want a chocolate shake from Sonic--last time it was soooo good." Thinking like that has gotten me to being 227 lbs, standing at 5'6--unfortunately the doctor world states I am considered obese. I'll tell you what, that really hurts! I knew I was overweight, but that word obese just hits so much harder and so much deeper. I went to a free training session at LA Fitness and the guy said I have 40% body fat... first word that came to my mind was GROSS, I was so embarrassed. I wanted to crawl up somewhere in a corner and cry. I do not want to be looked at like oh my, she's so overweight... no one wants that! Please send some encouragement my way... I want to get on the right track and get this under control. God bless!

Rachel

Replies

• ellieblueberry
    ellieblueberry Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You're taking a great step---This site rocks! I can really identify with a lot of the things you wrote and it will get better. Be consistent and work hard and you will feel so much better on the way to your goal weight. Let's be buddies and we can do it together! (:
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This is a great place to do the work. Make sure you take advantage of all the people here to support you.
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. Lots of support around here. I know exactly the feeling you had when you heard the word "Obese" except mine was Morbidly Obese. UGH. You can do this. IF you wouldn't write it down then don't eat is ..is the best advice I can give.
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    welcome...you will get lots of encouragement here..add me as a friend if you want
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I love encouraging newbies...please feel free to add me as a friend :-)
  • lorri68
    lorri68 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    hi im lorraine from england uk your story sounds like mine can you add me as a friend.
  • dchienku
    dchienku Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    hi and welcme to MFP! feel free to add me if u like!

Denise
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    First, welcome to the first day of the rest of your life!!!!

Second, you can wake up and look in the mirror and go OMG WHO ARE YOU!!!! I did that, was walking by a mirror at work and I glanced over at the mirror and scared myself because I wasnt in it, somebody was.

Thrid, you can get healthlier I have been taken off at my high blood sugar meds and my high blood pressure meds have been cut down to 1/4 of what they were this time last year. The doctor no longer wants to see me every 3 months it now every 6. And the next visit he may take me off my high blood pressure med all together.

Just want this more than anything in the world and it will happen. I have split out so many bites of food I said I didnt need I do not count them anymore. If your in a room with food and your temped leave the room, I do that at least once a day lol. You can do it, you can be healthly and you can look in the mirror and say wow, I really look good. :)
  • raelynn2133
    Options
    So... my boss just came in the office with a cake for one of our co-workers birthdays... GEEEZZZZ! Can I have a little piece or do I have to say no altogether?
  • cheree1965
    Options
    You will do great. I lost 110 on ww quit and now 46 percent body fat. I am only 156. Close your eyes and you know what that cake taste like.

Cheree
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The cake is a test to see how bad you want this. This is not a diet but a food plan. I would get the calories under control first with the food diary and then see where I could fit in some treats. You have to be deternined to make this happen. Only you can do this for yourself. And some excercise is a great tool too. It doesn't have to be hard maybe extra walking or if you have a wii you can use that or some people use dvd's. You have to see what is right for you. I wish you the best in this journey.