How to start with weight training?

Options
Okay, I'm cardio savvy but, I know that isn't all it takes. I lost a bunch of weight before (80+lbs) But my body was just smaller, still very very goopy. I want to do some weight training but, I don't know how. And I don't go to the gym so any equipment needs to be purchased. I need something easy to follow. Once I get into it I am sure I can tweak it and learn more but, for right now I'd be happy just to start. Someone help me! I know some of you guys can help me. Consider me a little project! I do have an old style total gym. HELP!!!

Replies

• Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm really just starting out too, but today, I'm ordering New Rules of Lifting for Women...have heard so many good things about this book!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Pushups, dips (use the edge of the couch), planks, lunges, squats would be a good start! Do you have any bands? They are inexpensive and can add a lot to a home routine!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I could get some bands. Also, as far as pushups, i cant do them. I try. I can get down a bit, and then back up. Even if i use the kitchen counter I can't get all the way down. I'm trying tho!

Edited to add: Your doggie is soooooooooooooo cute!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a cheap gym. I go to a fairly cheap gym because I'm not at an intermediate lifting level yet.

They will give you a tour of the place and show you how each machine works and what muscle areas each lift targets. I'm sure they might be able to set you up with a good beginning routine as well.

I go to this page for motivation with my lifting: http://muscleandstrength.com/articles/transformations.html
    Most of the people on there started out with no experience (don't we all) and now look at them!
  • MelissaJ6807
    Options
    I could get some bands. Also, as far as pushups, i cant do them. I try. I can get down a bit, and then back up. Even if i use the kitchen counter I can't get all the way down. I'm trying tho!

Edited to add: Your doggie is soooooooooooooo cute!

you couls start with wall push ups and slowly work your way down. I started with wall, then counter, then a stair on my basement steps before moving to a "girl" pushup. Not to a normal push up yet, but every little bit helps.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    I use light dumbbells and Joyce Vedral workout videos. I like Definiton because it's only 15-30 minutes a day of either upper or lower body. She uses all the basic bodybuilder moves. My dumbbells are 2#, 3# & 5# but sometimes I do 3#, 5#, 8# depending on the exercises. I use something called the Pyramid system.
  • VicNeumann
    Options
    One of the best books on building muscle (for the average persona) and sculpting your body at home (and in 40 minutes) is Body for Life by Bill Phillips. It's a former New York Times Bestseller that I still buy as gifts for friends who've expressed the same interest as you have. I'm a former competitive bodybuilder from the early 80's and I've been implementing the training in this book with awesome results. I like it cause you can get it done quickly and efficiently without having to spend hours training and the results definitely show.
  • msaravalli
    Options
    Hi there, i'm new here but have been working on my strength/weight training for about a month. I looked all over the internet (mainly you tube) for fitness videos to follow. I did find one-"the best home workout exercise routine". It's pretty easy to follow, especially for beginners, he show's you how to make the work out easier or harder, that way you can progress at your own speed. Now I've graduated to Jillian Michael's "30 Day Shred". This one is a little more tough, but worth the hard work and soreness you may have. You will see results quickly if you eat right and do the work out's every day, its only 20 min so most of us can find the time to fit that in. Hope this helps, I've already noticed a huge difference in my leg muscles and arm muscles. If you don't want to go to the gym (like me), just get some weights (i started with 5lbs) and a mat if you have hard wood floors, that's all you really need. Well I left out the most important thing...MOTIVATION!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bands will add resistance. So will cans, bottles and any other household items with the weight label available so you know where you're at. Also, use same weight in both hands etc. When you can then move to dumbells, barbells, kettlebell or whatever you find works well for you. You really don't need fancy equipment, it's more about attitude to keep lifting things that are a challenge along with bending, squating and lunging while holding heavy things that make it a challenge as well. Goal is to add weights, reps & keep going. Have fun!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I know this gets said over and over....but The New Rules of Lifting for Women is probably one of the best places to start. Here is the link to the group here on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • babbs23
    Options
    Try modified push-ups....on your knees, back straight, abs tucked in, bum down, not piked up. Do as many as you can to start! I have been using Chalean Extreme, a DVD program you can order off Beach Body or Amazon if you want/need to go less expensive. It has done miraculous things for my body along with watching my diet! Feel better and stronger than I have in a long time!! Work outs are 10 to 45 mins max and you only do it 5 times per week (2 days of cardio and 3 days of hand weights) and in your own home! Its a great start to weight training! Do you have a local reuse/recycle center? Sometimes you can find great deals on hand weights if you need/want some and money is an issue. Otherwise, bands are a great alternative. Keep up the good work! I totally get what you mean when you say you were goopy even though you had lost weight. I lost 38 pounds before I started using Chalean Extreme and no one at work really noticed. It was only when I started toning and devoloping my muscles that people noticed. My first 13 weeks on the program I lost an additional 28 pounds and 17 inches!!! So you are right! Adding those weights is a necessity. Oh and I would walk about 45 minutes a day too....cuz the dog needed it and it was good for me! Lol!!! Keep working hard and my best wishes for continued success!

Babbs
    :smile:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    New rules for lifting is the go to book...sound advice and an easy and humorous read!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    My advice if the goal is toning up would be to pick 10 "stations" - that could be machines or free weights or whatever.

Have someone show you the proper way to do them.

Do each station 2 or 3 times each session, lifting only the amount that makes you start to feel just slightly weak by the end of the set. Do 2 or 3 sessions per week. If you are a little bit sore the next day or two, then you are doing good. If you don't have full mobility (i.e. - can't extend your arm all the way), you are lifting too much weight and should back off a little. I'm not a power lifter, not do I really want to bulk up - for me it's about adding stamina through strength and maintaining flexibility while adding stability and joint health.

Gradually add weight every few weeks until you find you comfort zone, or increase the number of reps per set, but never enough that you feel like you could get hurt. Personally, I tend to do 2 sets of 20-30 reps with low weights rather than more shorter sets of high weight.

I like to do the following - I split it into two sessions:

- Squats (I do them standing on a half ball upside down to work on balance)
    - Leg Press
    - Bench Press (incline, flat and decline)
    - Military Press
    - "butterfly" lift (where you stand and lift hand weights from your hips to overhead with the arm motion of someone swimming butterfly - but be careful on the way down, if your shoulders pop, lower the weights in front of your chest - that's what I have to do)
    - Calf Raises
    - Curls
    - Ab Crunches (there are many varieties, I do about 6 different methods)
    - Hamstring Curls - I do them with the Ball after ab crunches
    - Leg Extensions
    - Not sure what it's called, but the one where you squeeze your knees together
    - Not sure what it's called, but the opposite of the previous one where you push your knees out
    - Balance Drills, standing on "squishy" things
    - Ankle strengthening with bands
    - Lat Pulls

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    On my lunch hour i take sculpt classes, they are an awesome way to learn how to lift weights. I joined At The Beach, Ladies Fitness about 5 years ago, the membership is very cheap $20 to $25 a month (skip the tanning packages). the YMCA is also reasonable but i can never get a good fitness schedule near my house. Go to all the local gym's websites and check out their schedules for group fitness that works for you and then go try their free week. You'll get to know everyone that goes and dont ever feel self conscious, you have to start somewhere and you'll love how strong you feel! good luck!
  • Texaganian
    Options
    Pushups are tough if you've never done them. But you can get there.

A year ago I was able to squeeze out ONE pushup with really bad form. Today I do 100 pushups with good form every other morning.

It just takes doing it and being patient.

If you can't do a single standard pushup to start with, do modified pushups ("girly pushups") where you keep your knees on the floor.

If you can't do a single modified pushup to start with, put your hands on the edge of the kitchen counter, move your feet back til your at about a 45% angle then do pushups to the counter edge.

You will be able to find something that you can start with. After that, it's just a case of doing them every other day, steadily increasing the number you are doing and being patient.

Just like losing weight, consistancy and patience are the keys.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am doing the New Rules Programme and it is erally good, you can do it at home if you wish.

My one tip would be to abandon the 'girl push up' it does nothing for your core and makes life hard to go to normal push ups.

I learnt to do them this way... wall push ups until i could do 4 sets of 10, then counter top , then edge of bed/sofa/ gym bench, now i alternate between reebok step and floor and now i can do 2 sets of 10 which was amazing to me as i have been trying to do girl ones for YEARS!
  • Raychel_P
    Raychel_P Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You need to hit each muscle group 2-3x per week. A good workout plan would be to work out six days per week, alternating cardio and weightlifting days. To start out, a simple full body routine would be good, and as you get more advanced you can start a "split" routine, which is where you work different muscle groups on different days.

I am a former personal trainer, and want to hammer this into your brain- you need to ignore "toning" workouts or all these womens workouts that encourage you to lift tiny pink 3lb weights and stuff- it doesn't do **** for your muscles, think about it- your purse probably weighs that much, and you lift it how many times a day? Remember-spot reduction (making the weight magically disappear from one area of your body by "toning" or "sculpting" exercises) doesn't work, and the only way to look "toned" is by building up muscle via heavy weight training, and lowering your bodyfat level by dieting and cardio.

You need to work up to lifting heavy weights, don't be scared to- you don't have enough testosterone for it to make you look like a guy. I recommend checking out the website www.stumptuous.com. It gives alot of training advice, diet advise, and motivation for a weight training novice and is geared towards teaching women how to lift real weights as well. Here is a sample beginner full body workout from their website:
    Workout 1: Beginner, full-body

These workouts are done either 3 times weekly, or on alternating days (1 day of workout, 1 day of rest, 1 day of workout, and so forth). You can even do these workouts only twice weekly and see some gains, say on a Monday-Thursday split. Don’t do this workout two days in a row.

Rest 1 to 2 minutes between sets (you might want a little longer between squat sets).

Notation: Exercise sets x reps
    For example: bench press 3 x 8 is 3 sets of 8 reps per set

routine 1
    1.Squat or leg press 2 x 12-15
    2.Lat pulldown 2 x 12-15
    3.Standing overhead shoulder press 2 x 12-15
    4.One-arm dumbbell row 2 x 12-15
    5.Bench press 2 x 12-15
    6.Calf raise 1 x 15
    7.Ab crunches or Swiss ball crunches 2 x 12-15

Welcome to the wonderful world of lifting weights, it will change your life !!