40 years old today

Options
I've eaten myself into a body I despise. I once dreaded weighing 200 lbs. Now I'm at 250 and would love to see 200. I've cut myself off from old friends because I can't stand the thought of them seeing me this way. I shy away from having my picture taken.

My goal is to lose 75 lbs by my son's high school graduation in 2013. I want to stand proudly by him and not be ashamed of how I look. We are also planning a trip to Ireland for his graduation present. I don't want my health to slow us down.

I need this life change to work. Please friend me if you can keep me motivated in posting my food & exercise logs. I will return the favor.

Replies

• skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Im glad im your friend! I feel the same way! We weigh about the same so lets start this journey together! !!
  • unrulygurl
    unrulygurl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yea! Let's do this.
  • capergal
    capergal Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday....isn't 40 fun lol. I hit that mark two months ago................this is a great site, I find it is the only thing that works to keep me motivated. Good luck!
  • 2011JAM
    2011JAM Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey cheer up, you've made the first step... Happy 40th....lol....
    Feel free to add me, I wanna shift at least 42lb before the end of July, so I'll be about for a while...
    Good luck
  • Hadahsah6
    Hadahsah6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday...like daveandjuliea stated...You've made the first step! We should all help and motivate each other. I just turned 36 this month, I weigh 208 and for me that's a whole lot. Like you, I shy away from pictures and hate shopping now. I want to lose at least 38 pounds this year and I need all the support I can get. I have a busy life, 6 kids that are involved in many sports and activities and from June-Nov I'm a cheerleading coach..my problem is finding time for me. I work in an office which means I'm sitting most of the time and snacking on things I shouldn't. I would really appreciate any tips/help that could help me in my "New Year, New Me" goal. I'll friend you unrulygirl...we all can do it with a little support and life changes.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Me too! I turned 40 today. ((sigh)) LOL Happy birthday!

Friend me! I haven't figured out how to do it on here yet! LOL
  • Sunshine70Smith
    Sunshine70Smith Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday and good luck with your goals!
  • Lanna74
    Lanna74 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!

I am 45 and my mother-in-law always told me those were the best years for her. I always dreading turning 40 but have to say I am agreeing with her! There is a new acceptance of yourself, you no longer worry as much what others think. It's really liberating!

Anyway, you can do this!! Best of luck to you!! :smile:
  • JennBunny73
    JennBunny73 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I will add you as my friend. I will be 40 next year. My youngest graduates this year and I definitely want to look good in pictures. I almost skipped my 20 year reunion and if it wasn't for seeing some of my very best friends I would have. Looking back at the pics..ugh..glad most were not full length. My arms are what was the most embarrassing. You can do this though. Posting here is a start and I know if you dedicate yourself you can..Check in here everyday and record your food/workouts..it has helped me lose over 7 pounds since Nov. 7. I know it doesn't sound like much but it is the most weight I have lost all year...so it is definitely going the right direction!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday:flowerforyou:
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and in a very similar position to you in terms of my current weight and goals. If you wish, send me a friend request. You CAN make the changes you are looking for and be successful. And happy birthday...
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If you only give one thing, you can surpass your goal of 75 lbs by mid 2013. That one thing is dedication. Dedicate yourself and you could be 100 lbs lighter by then if that's what you want.
    It's easier than you may think. I know when I started out it felt out of reach but I learned that all it took was for me to dedicate myself to it. Once i did that, the weight starting falling off.

Happy BIRTHday. Today is the beginning of the rest of your life. You got this!
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and my mother-in-law always told me those were the best years for her. I always dreading turning 40 but have to say I am agreeing with her! There is a new acceptance of yourself, you no longer worry as much what others think. It's really liberating!

Here, here!! The 40s have been liberating for me in so many ways! I'm stronger than I've ever been mentally and it feels good!! Turning 40 was my "ah ha" moment! I was 20# overweight (had lost 10# the summer prior, but s-t-a-l-l-ed there...). I thought that if I didn't get things under control then and there, I never would. Joined WW (needed to accountable to someone other than myself) and lost those last 20#. A back injury 2 years ago laid me up for a bit and I fell back into some old [bad] habits and gained 10# back. I'm now 44 and joined MFP in July 2011 and though I've continued to bounce back and forth with those 5-10#, I've found the most wonderful support system! I recently had my 2nd "ah ha" moment over the weekend and am committed more than ever to rid myself of the last of those pesky pounds!

So glad that you've taken this frist step!! I'd be more than happy to cheer you on as you reach your goal(s) - add me if you wish. This is the BEST birthday present you could give yourself - you CAN do this!!!!
  • lookgood46
    Options
    I'm a newbie too and reading your posts think i might be the oldest at 46:blushing: But hay.....older and wiser:bigsmile:
    You can do this..........
  • CrysButcher3
    Options
    Happy 40th Birthday! :flowerforyou:
    I'm turning 40 this coming May. I have joined this site about 8 months ago and have made the best of friends on here that motivate me and give that shoulder to cry on. This IS the best site for losing weight and you have come to the right place. It really IS about dedication and moving forward even when you slid back a few lbs.
    Feel free to add me...I'm always commenting and here for support. :smile:
  • ew513
    ew513 Posts: 35
    Options
    Happy Birthday. I'm 51, and I miss 40. I also shy away from people I used to know, because I don't want them to walk away from me thinking, "WOW, she really let herself go. I barely recognized her." I have twin girls who graduated from high school this past June. I see pictures of myself with them in their cap and gown. Instead of being proud of how they look, all I can do is be ashamed of how I look. So unfair to them. I would love to try to keep you motivated and you can do the same for me. Everything you're going through now I went through the exact same thing a year ago. Let's make 1 good choice every day about our eating habits or exercise ideas and then celebrate that good decision. I will friend request you. Good luck !!
  • ew513
    ew513 Posts: 35
    Options
    !!
  • twogoots
    twogoots Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday to you. I am turned 42 in just a few weeks and also hate the body I have grown into.

Do yourself a favor. Take a picture of yourself now.. full body. Then in a few months, do it again. I am doing this just so I can see the difference. I lost 40 lbs from Jan 2011 to May, but gained over 1/2 of it back . I am back at this now since I was given the "diabetic" health status last month. Lets join together in support and work through this one step at a time.

I'll send a friend request today. Good luck and I am here for you to lean on any time.
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Feel your pain! I am going to turn 40 in September and I made up my mind this August that I was NOT going to be overweight when I turned 40, so I got busy and have lost 25 pounds so far. I have another 10 that I think I would like to lose. Soooo with that being said, how about you make your goal to lose your weight WHILE 40! You can do it!!!! I am behind you all the way.
  • unrulygurl
    unrulygurl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.