just started. need to stay motivated.

Options
I'm Eileen. 51 years old and tired of feeling tired and fat. Really need to take control of my life in this new year. I'm usually really motivated for the first 2 weeks, but then fall back in to my old bad habits. My biggest hurdle is getting the exercise in. I have arthritis in my right hip and it hurts when I walk or move my right leg. Not sure how to do anything without it hurting. I would really appreciate the support and encouragement.

Replies

• jenniemarie91
    jenniemarie91 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I'm 42 - and just started here a week ago. I'm the same as you in that i ususally fall back into old habits after a week or two. However, this place is really keeping me motivated........I am finding that i can't WAIT to exercise or record my food just to keep up with the numbers!! Anyway, welcome!!! :smile:
  • MarileeP
    MarileeP Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Eileen,

You and I are in the same place. In fact I could have written your post. I'm 54, and like you tired of feeling tired and fat. My right hip hurts too, and we are still trying to figure out what the problem is. Thought it was arthritis at first but doc said no. So just had a back x-ray to see if there is a pinched nerve. No word back on that yet.

I signed up to walk the Komen 3 day in October 2012 to give myself a fitness goal to work towards.

Am working with a trainer once a week (just finished my 3rd work out with her) and have found that very helpful. I'm at least exercising once a week now. My goal now that the holidays are over is to work out on my own at least 2 more times each week.

Would love to have some fitness pals to help me stay motivated. I know it's hard to workout when you hurt - perhaps your doc could recommend some exercises? Or maybe you start with upper body work?

Just started with this program so not sure how to add people to my friend list but feel free to add me if you know how - my user name is MarileeP.

All the best and sending good thoughts your way!
  • samatalma
    Options
    Hi there and welcome!!
    Have you tried water exercises? They are usually very low impact and may be good for you considering your arthritis. You could also talk with your doctor about it! He/she may have something they can recommend to you!!
    Good luck!
  • ew513
    ew513 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I will start with upper body. Then maybe pop a few advil and try walking on the treadmill. Wish me luck.
  • ew513
    Options
    A good idea, but have no access to a pool. Thanks though.
  • kellsma
    kellsma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 using Fitness Pal. I too am motivated for now but need to stay motivated. 47 and feeling blah. Lost 30 lbs last year and gained it all back. Ugh. Hopingbthiscwill be a better journey. Need to lose about 60.
  • ew513
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'd like to lose between 50-60. Let's keep each other motivated.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and gained an extra 30 lbs when I went through menopause. I lost all the weight by just cutting out bad carbs ( I eat whole grain low carb breads, 4 oz sweet potatoes instead of white, 1-2 oz whole grain pasta instead of usual 6 oz, lots of low fat popcorn to satisfy the salty crunch I am addicted to), cut out sweets except special occasions, fast and processed foods. I also got a food scale and taught myself what a true portion looks like. You can do it without exercise.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my knee and hip due to an injury I sustained when I was 12. I am joining a health club next week and plan on starting off working out in the swimming pool to decrease the impact on my joints.
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Like Smokey19 pointed out pools can be great. Some pools even offer special arthritis water classes. I used to teach one at a YMCA. You might look around for some options. Good luck!
  • ladyprofaz
    Options
    Hi. I have been here for about six weeks. Like you, I have pain issues. When I started I couldn't walk 1/4 mile without pain in my back. But I mapped out short walks and just kept adding a little at a time. No rush. Yesterday I actually walked a full mile without pain and I have now lost 16 pounds. I am also 60. So we can do it. Add me if you like. I always respond to friend postings and I understand where you are.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Okay, Ladies, Seems like several are new and anxious to get started on a healthier you. You all have come to the right spot! There is so much inspiration, motivation and down right good encouragement here.

I started late July and have enjoyed each day of the journey. Why? Because MFP gives me the tools to keep me focused. It also provides me with a member base that has the same goals as I have. To not only lose the weight, but to get healthy in the process.

Please remember to log EVERYTHING! The GOOD, the BAD, and the sometimes oh so UGLY. Because logging is key to your success. It keeps you on track and shows you what you need to change in order to reach your goal.

Remember to stay hydrated! And also above all, ENJOY THE JOURNEY TO A NEW YOU!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hi,I'm Paula,just turned 55. I have been a yo-yoer since 30yrs old. Up and down. Last year(2010) my son was getting married so I worked on losing weight. Lost 25lbs. Then started gaining again. So I started again trying to lose some weight, lost a little before I came across MFP. I joined MFP in Sept 2011. Finding this site was a blessing,and finding people like me to share in this journey with me. So now with the help of this site and the motivating buddies I have found here I have lost 36lbs. So people our age can do this! So add me as a friend if you like. Any of you can if you like. Get deternined and this can be done.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I am the biggest quitter I know. But..this time, I am not letting me beat myself. That is how you have to look at it, be your best weapon, not your worst enemy. If we can do it, we know you can and we are all here for support the whole step of the way. I didn't think my friend would stick to it when she told me about it, and here I am half way to my goal because of her continuing work on herself. I want to be dependant upon myself to stay motivated and it does get hard, so I post a pic of me and the side by side says it all. Then, I am right back on it. You CAN do this!
  • dietkix
    Options
    how are your eating habits? it's more important to eat right than exercise.. though both are needed to lose weight, but eating right is 60% and training is 40%.. and btw, if you do something for 21 days, it usually becomes a habit.. so first try avoiding sugars, sodas, processed meat and transfats, then go from there :smile:
  • ew513
    Options
    I am impressed and inspired. You make me believe that I can do it too!!!! I'm going to friend request you.
  • ew513
    Options
    I'm inspired by all the posts I am reading.
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hello Eileen, please hang in there. You can and Will succeed at this.I believe in you and now BELIEVE in You! Just take it one day at a time, one step at a time, one ,meal at a time . You can Do This !!!!!:smile: