Calorie burning question

Options
Hi Everyone,
I am new to MFP, but I have been working out for awhile. I noticed when I loged my Strength training today it didn't say I burned any calories from it. My question is Do you not burn calories during strength traning? If so this could explain some of my weight loss issues I tend to do a little more strength then cardio, could this be messin my weight loss up?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• MountainMamaMarissa
    Options
    I've also been wondering the same thing...
  • CiciPorcayo
    CiciPorcayo Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Type in Strength Training into the Cardio section of exercise and then put in your minutes. It isn't strength training specific but it calculates some calories burned! ;) hope this helps!
  • jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You have to go under Cardio exercises and put in strength training...I wondered the same thing until I figured it out...Hope that helps...
  • jacguill
    Options
    Not sure why it doesn't record that part of it (probably because it's difficult to quantify), but you definitely do burn calories from strength training. In fact, you burn more calories over the next day as your muscles build. With cardio workouts, you stop burning calories as soon as you walk out the door, but with strength training, you continue to burn over the next day.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Yes, you burn calories from a strength training session, not as many as a cardio session though. If you want you can add it under "cardio" there is a strength training option.

No! It is not messing up your weight loss issues!!! As long as you are truly eating at a deficit (10-20% of your TDEE) you should be losing weight.

**Strength training helps you to burn more calories at rest than cardio does, therefore IMO, it is better to do more strength than cardio.**

Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • jkleeh
    jkleeh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you strength train. if you do high reps and very little rest in between sets you can burn more than if you are doing 6-8 reps of heavier weight and resting a couple minutes inbetween sets. I am more about light weight/ high reps and little rest (not trying to bulk up, just looking to tone up) I use the strength training input under cardio but only use half what MFP says I can do in the allotted time....
  • jkleeh
    jkleeh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, you burn calories from a strength training session, not as many as a cardio session though. If you want you can add it under "cardio" there is a strength training option.

No! It is not messing up your weight loss issues!!! As long as you are truly eating at a deficit (10-20% of your TDEE) you should be losing weight.

**Strength training helps you to burn more calories at rest than cardio does, therefore IMO, it is better to do more strength than cardio.**

Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I want to lose weight but I also want definition so I was scared maybe I was just adding muscle under the fat!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The strength training section is to keep track of weight / sets / reps.
    Use the cardio section to record calorie burn