2»

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I hate to be mean, but...

1. You're horribly impatient.
    2. You need to stay off the scale.
    3. You lack knowledge of the proper way to eat healthy and exercise in a sensible way. (Note: huge deficits <> sensible)
    4. You will have water fluctuations.
    5. You're horribly impatient...

Did I forget anything? Again, I'm really NOT trying to be mean. The sooner you come to terms with the above, the happier and more successful you will be in achieving lasting weight loss. Trust me. :flowerforyou:
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    The junk food part I disagree with, when in fact too much sugar can kill some people. If I have too much sugar I just gain. I'm limited on foods because I have a family and no one else eats like me, turkey burgers, etc. A turkey burger at 1/3lb has 200 cals while a 1/4 lb hamburger has over 310 cals. What's gonna be more filling? A turkey burger. You can eat more by eating less cals if you eat the right foods.
    That wasn't the point I was explaining. I stated you CAN lose weight eating junk food, not that it's the most sensible way to do it.
    There are people who only eat 2 times a day and it works for them. So eating a Turkey burger as one their meals may not help them achieve the calories they need to meet. Everyone is different on how they approach eating their calories, so there is no one "right" way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    All I said is I disagree with it in particular to myself. I also said Junk food, especially with lots of sugar in it makes me gain weight. I went on to say, on another note, not really having to do with what you said that turkey burgers with less cals is more filling than a smaller beef hamburger. But I do agree with you that your right we are all different and yes it is true that one thing doesn't always work for everyone. Health and environment, stress, all these things come into play. I was only saying the one thing I disagreed with on the junk food cause this doesn't work for me. I wasn't trying to argue with you, I have a right to make my own point.
  • jessalwayz
    jessalwayz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow so many responses! Thanks everyone. I used to exercise once a week but now I'm trying to be healthier and its really fun to exercise. I noticed I've been drinking lots of water too! And these pasts months I've been gaining weight so I want to go back to a healthy weight. I'm not trying to do this just as a diet but a healthy lifestyle. Ive always seen it as going on a diet but it never seems to workout so this time I just want to add more exercise and healthier choices.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Wow so many responses! Thanks everyone. I used to exercise once a week but now I'm trying to be healthier and its really fun to exercise. I noticed I've been drinking lots of water too! And these pasts months I've been gaining weight so I want to go back to a healthy weight. I'm not trying to do this just as a diet but a healthy lifestyle. Ive always seen it as going on a diet but it never seems to workout so this time I just want to add more exercise and healthier choices.
    Way to go you! Great attitude and great response.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

First you have to calculate what your BMR, basic metabolic rate is, how much you can eat without gaining or loosing. Just google it.
    A pound of FAT is about 3500 kcal, that means you have to subtract this from your BMR if you want to loose that.

False...dont eat below BMR.
    BMR is how many calories you need to get essential nutrients to vital organs if you do nothing all day.
    Thats sitting on the couch or in a coma.

You dont subtract anything from BMR.
    I think you mean TDEE.
    Eating less calories than you burn daily will result in weight loss.
    Dont go below BMR unless your doctor says you are "healthy" enough to stand it.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

First you have to calculate what your BMR, basic metabolic rate is, how much you can eat without gaining or loosing. Just google it.
    A pound of FAT is about 3500 kcal, that means you have to subtract this from your BMR if you want to loose that.

BMR is how many calories you need to get essential nutrients to vital organs if you do nothing all day.

I think you mean TDEE.

Find out your TDEE and eat 10-20% below that.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options

I think you mean TDEE.

For me its basically the same thing, at least from what ive read and how the terms are beeing used both here and on other sites. But point taken. No need to continue this discussion here, if you feel the need to lecture me, feel free to inbox me instead, looking forward to it.
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    I hate to be mean, but...

1. You're horribly impatient.
    2. You need to stay off the scale.
    3. You lack knowledge of the proper way to eat healthy and exercise in a sensible way. (Note: huge deficits <> sensible)
    4. You will have water fluctuations.
    5. You're horribly impatient...

Did I forget anything? Again, I'm really NOT trying to be mean. The sooner you come to terms with the above, the happier and more successful you will be in achieving lasting weight loss. Trust me. :flowerforyou:
    This. Especially lines 1. and 5.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    really? I hate to be mean but? (but you didn't care enough to chose a kinder way of saying it?)

just sayin......
    some people really could use a FILTER!
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    Some people are just sensitive if that offended. That seemed a pretty honest and nice way too put it ,she even gave her a :flowerforyou:
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    well, don't you thing most people are "sensitive" as you say when it comes to their weight? Especially if they are here at MFP trying to lose and get advice?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've been excercising for these past 5 days and eating around 1,200 calories while burning from 500-1,000 calories, and I haven't lost any weight, I lost 1 pound but then I gained it back. So is it true that at first you don't loose anything because muscles are getting stronger? When will I start seeing the difference?
    your starvation diet is shutting down your metabolism.

Eat more.
    And make sure your settings are for 1lb of weight loss per week and that you eat back all your exercise calories.
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    I've been excercising for these past 5 days and eating around 1,200 calories while burning from 500-1,000 calories, and I haven't lost any weight, I lost 1 pound but then I gained it back. So is it true that at first you don't loose anything because muscles are getting stronger? When will I start seeing the difference?
    your starvation diet is shutting down your metabolism.

Eat more.
    And make sure your settings are for 1lb of weight loss per week and that you eat back all your exercise calories.

THIS:happy: Throw away the scales. Use the tape measure and the MIRROR. I have gained 5lbs, but lost 4% body fat, and I can see definition... even my oblique abs are starting to show (slightly). I have added lean muscle mass everywhere, especially on my pecs, biceps, quads, and calves.
  • terra_angelica
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?

Total (daily) energy expenditure. Basically, maintenance calories.
  • terra_angelica
    Options
    I calculated mine and it is 2367. If I eat 20% below this it is almost 1900 calories. I can't lose weight eating that much. I eat anywhere between 1200-1500 a day and I am full.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I calculated mine and it is 2367. If I eat 20% below this it is almost 1900 calories. I can't lose weight eating that much. I eat anywhere between 1200-1500 a day and I am full.

You can if you give it 2 weeks time to adjust.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    All I said is I disagree with it in particular to myself. I also said Junk food, especially with lots of sugar in it makes me gain weight. I went on to say, on another note, not really having to do with what you said that turkey burgers with less cals is more filling than a smaller beef hamburger. But I do agree with you that your right we are all different and yes it is true that one thing doesn't always work for everyone. Health and environment, stress, all these things come into play. I was only saying the one thing I disagreed with on the junk food cause this doesn't work for me. I wasn't trying to argue with you, I have a right to make my own point.
    You did say you disagree, but also said that too much sugar will kill people (not a reference to you). So I responded. And yes you have a right to make your point.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition