No Suagr Challenge

Options
Hey guys not sure about you but I've just about had enough of all this holiday sugar. I've heard from a couple people who have cut all "unnecessary sugars" from their diet, that they have dropped pounds quickly. They weren't doing it to lose weight, rather to be healthy, but ended up losing about 20lbs in about four months. Anyone up for a challenge, or could we think of it more as an.... experiment say? Out of curiousity I'm going from Janurary 1st to valentines day with no "unnecessary sugars". This of course means something different for everybody. For me for example, it will mean no chocolates or sweets or ice cream, I'll even throw in potato chips even though they're thought of more as a salt. I would really avoid eating things like pancakes (even if I wasn't doing this challenge), but even more so now because I need syrup with them, and syrup is a ig sugar.

If I remember correctly, the lady who lost the 20lbs in four months usually doesn't eat things with more than 5 grams of sugar. I won't follow this strictly- for example when I eat my natural sugar-free yogurt I NEED to add half a tsp of jam for it not to taste like sour cream. And obviously fruits have natural sugars and I'm not cutting out those!

Any takers? It seems like I never follow through with reporting every week, but ideally I would like to weight myself each week and see my progress, and also see how you guys are doing. I want to know how big of a difference sugar makes in our daily diet.

Replies

• Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've cut all processed sugars and white flour for about a month before and LOVED the results. January 1, it's ON!! thanks for the inspiration!
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    oops, duplicate post.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am on for the NoSugar Challenge. I just need a reminder that I am on a NoSugar pursuit! One of my problems is that I am not thoughtful enough about food choices and I fall into my old mindless eating habits. I don't know if I can cut out completely all sugar though. Like you need jam on your fat-free yogurt, I need a small serving (only one) of a homemade treat. I have a family who I like to cook and bake for. It shouldn't be a problem if I remain consistent in mindful eating.

MFP has been so good. I am recording my calories everyday. I need to exercise more. It is rainy and cold here. So walking is difficult to make myself get under way. Even though I enjoy my walks at the end. I would like to get more protein in.

Yes to No Sugar! Let's definitely stop eating processed sugar. And plan our meals so we can prepare to eat filling whole-food with no sugar and hopefully high protein. Keep posting about your progress and food choices.
  • ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I will try it! I would love to try to have less dependence on sugar. As it is, I eat dark chocolate every single day. It's my treat :) But I will try to make substitutes! (Sometimes eating a bowl of frizen blueberries is just as yummy to me as ice cream).

However, I am going to give myself one cheat day during this time because my birthday is on the 30th! :)
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes count me in!
  • MandiGordon
    Options
    Count me in!!! I just started my diet two days ago and haven't had anything but natural sugar in two days, which for me is big because i am a soda junkie!!!! the headache sucks but i am already feeling better without it!
  • MariaLeonza
    Options
    I have been off added sugar all month. I have lost 27 pounds in 27 days giving up sugar pop and white bread- count me in!
  • MariaLeonza
    Options
    I have been off added sugar all month. I have lost 27 pounds in 27 days giving up sugar pop and white bread- count me in!
  • smangani
    smangani Posts: 120
    Options
    I am sick of the sweets! I am SO IN!!!!
  • mroneal3
    mroneal3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am ready for this challenge. I have to stay vigilant & focused toward examining my food choices. I wonder will I see a huge change in my taste buds. I hope not to have those cravings for something sweet around that time of the month.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options

wow! thats very inspiring!!!!!! congrats i hope i'll have as good of story as yours in a month or two.
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    I will try it! I would love to try to have less dependence on sugar. As it is, I eat dark chocolate every single day. It's my treat :) But I will try to make substitutes! (Sometimes eating a bowl of frizen blueberries is just as yummy to me as ice cream).

However, I am going to give myself one cheat day during this time because my birthday is on the 30th! :)

take the cheat day! im happy to have one of my MFP friends in this with me! I really hope we can keep with it. its so eay to start, but let's do this!
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    My weightloss was driven by a reduction of sugar and any simple carbs, which is sugar to your body. It works unbelievably well.
  • jamja
    Options
    Count me in...I need a support group to get refocused!!
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
  • irisheyes42us
    Options
    I am a big sugarholic! I am in! At least til Valentine's Day =)
    Thanks for the challenge! Didn't lose any weight this month because of Holiday Sugar!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jamja
    Options
    The reason No Sugar excelerates weightloss is because how your body responds to sugar.
    Foods with no sugar (low glycemic) will produce low amounts of insulin. When your body has low levels of insulin being produced it will release fats you've eaten rather than storing them. The opposite is also true...eating sugar (simple carbs/high glycemic) foods your body produces more insulin and your body responds by storing fat.
    So the key take away is - Fat does not make you fat - sugar does.
  • LosingMyselfin2011
    Options
    I'm in! Where will we post updates and such? I actually just started this 2 days ago. I'm following the south beach diet approach to it for now. :-)
  • SnazzyTraveller
    Options
    I'm in! Where will we post updates and such? I actually just started this 2 days ago. I'm following the south beach diet approach to it for now. :-)

i was never really sure how posting updates worked. unless anyone else has better ideas i think here on this topic page would work? also if anyone is in need of a MFP friend, it would prob be beneficial to add someone who's doing this same challenge. so far i have two friends who are doing it (on MFP) and i think its going to be great to be accountable to them :)))

should we say every week, whoever wants can record their weight by replying to this topic?
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm so in! I need to get refocused on eating healthy and stay away from chocolate and cookies etc.