gall bladder operation

Options
hi all just a quick question. I've got to have my gall bladder removed, if anyone has had this done can you let me know if there were any problems after and how did it affect losing weight
Many thanks
Di

Replies

• bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had already started losing weight when I had mine done about 5 years ago now. I gained some back during the 6 weeks it takes your body (mainly abdominal muscles that they cut) to heal from the surgery, but only about 10lbs. It was mostly because I didn't have the pain anymore and I could eat what I wanted without feeling sick. After the 6 weeks healing and I started back up exercising again, I lost at the same rate, the only difference is that I was healthier because I could eat better, and I had more stamina etc. I don't have any stomach or digestive problems or anything from the surgery.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    See, mine was the other way around. I had mine removed about 5 years ago, and because of the way the gallbladder works, I couldnt (and still cant really) eat anything greasy, fried, dairy or spicy without an upset tummy. I had to know where the bathroom was if i was eating anywhere but home, because within minutes, I was in there. I have re-accustomed myself to spicy stuff (and it still gives me trouble, I just love spicy food) I had lost some weight before I had it done, but I lost about 30 lbs in the few months after I had it out.
  • horsiegall
    Options
    I had mine removed couple of years ago, stay away from greasy or fried it will send you running to the bathroom. i even had to cut out milk and know i use almond milk. I still get nutrients but take in a third of the calories. as far as weight loss didnt affect mine, you actually eat healthier and have less irritation. FYI after surgery as soon as u can get up and walk around, the doctor didnt tell me and the gas they use to inflate you during surgurey went straight to my chest. i thought i was having a heart attack. walking helps get it out of your body.
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had mine out a few years back. The doctors lie when they say you don't need it. The reality is you can live without it, but it does serve a function. It aids in how your body digests fats. Your body will bypass where your gallbladder was and will still break down fats, but it is NOT the same. I wish I had known that before I let them remove it at the ER. I would have chosen to at least try to manage my condition with good diet choices first, and then opting for surgery if that didn't work. Now any time I eat something remotely bad for me, it is a 911 find a bathroom situation, which can be flat out embarrassing. However, it does help weight loss in that regard because you are much more conscious about what you are putting in your body, because you know bad foods will lead to bad things.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It didn't affect me very much. You have to take it easy after the operation, so if you're used to working out, you won't get to do that for a little while. Some people adjust after a while and are able to eat whatever they want, and some people never adjust to it. So it could conceivably help with your weight loss if it cuts the amount of fatty foods you eat. In my case I adjusted just fine, and could eat burgers, pizza, whatever. But since I decided to lose weight, I'm not as used to that kind of food so it does make me sick if I eat a large amount of fat at one time (burger AND fries is bad, but one or the other would usually be ok).
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about a year ago. For me, it has actually made me feel better than I have in years. Mine did not have stones, but had just gradually stopped working. I didn't have to change my diet much, because I was already avoiding most of the foods that cause problems. It did not effect my weight loss and has made me feel so much better.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed 9 months ago. I suffered with gall bladder attacks for a year before they figured out what it was. I had a couple issues from the surgery. One was extreme nausea and vomiting the second I woke up from surgery. This is from the narcotics because I am very sensitive to them. Also, for about three days I had a terrible pain in my right shoulder. Thankfully the surgeon warned me this may happen because of the gasses traveling and settling there after surgery. The most important thing to do is to make yourself walk a little each day. I would get my husband to assist me in walking to the mailbox each day. Getting out of bed in the morning is going to hurt a LOT for at least the first two weeks. Eating is...well, experimental at best. I could not have any fat for the first month and learned what I could and couldn't eat (buttered popcorn, gravy, sausage). I would still do it all over again. I am pretty much 100% better now. If you have any questions, feel free to add me! :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that while some people have trouble after surgery, it varies greatly by individual. I was eating, walking, and functioning normally within hours after surgery. I never had any pain at all. I had to make a conscious effort to take it easy because there was no pain to remind me.
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Everyone's outcome will be different. Surgery is surgery, there is always a risk of complications. Or you may be a lucky duck who wakes up and jumps out the bed and waltzes out the door. You may have diarrhea every time you eat for the rest of your life or you may not have any issues in that departments. The removal of my gallbladder has had no effect on my weight loss; but I have met quite a few people who blame their inability to lose weight on their GB removal. Everyone is different and will have a different outcome.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I just had mine taken out on Tuesday so I don't know how it will affect me in the long term but the recovery hasn't been so bad. Mine was removed laparoscopically...only two small incisions. One in my navel which I haven't seen yet and a small (1/2") a little higher on my abdomen. For the most part I feel like I'd done gazillion sit-ups and then let Jillian Michaels kick me in the stomach.

Given that mine had all but stopped functioning (4% ejection fraction) I figured that having it out wouldn't make so much difference.

My mom has always had problems with dairy, spicy, fat etc. so it wasn't a suprise when this continued after hers was removed. I am just going to take it nice and slow and use the potential side effects as motivation to stay on the straight and narrow.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 15 years ago. I have had no issues at all since. I had the laparoscopic procedure and just have 2 small scars. No problems with eating any type of food.
  • skmolove
    skmolove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    funny story...i suspected i was having gallbladder troubles, went to doc's. he asked if i could be pregnant. 'maybe' was my answer b/c i was nursing a 9month old & not on birth control. before he sent me for a gallbladder ultrasound he made me take a pregnancy test & sure as s**t I was. not only was i pregnant but i had to learn to manage my gallstones. who wants to have surgery while pregnant? not me. So manage i did, for 5 years. i finally had it removed & its been 7 years now. I still have trouble eating greasy & fried foods. But you learn what you can and cant eat. like someone said you'll need to know where the restrooms are.
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder taken out about 4 years ago. I didn't have stones but it wasn't working and had attached lesions to my liver. I had experienced gall pain since childhood and none of the doctors knew what it was. I had yellowish eyes for 1-2 years before I actually had it taken out so I assume the lesions to my liver were fairly severe. I have never eaten a lot of fried foods so I haven't really had to change my diet and haven't found any foods that I typically eat that bother me (except maybe sushi but I'm not sure if that's b/c of the lack of a gall bladder or just me). I have gained quite a bit of weight in the last 2-3 years but I was also recently diagnosed with PCOS and that's likely why.

Just curious....anyone else have their gall bladder removed at a young age and also have PCOS?
  • bigtwagner
    Options
    I had mine removed when I was 15. The only difference I noticed was my body had a hard time with fried food. Something I stay away from for this reason plus it's not a good choice of food.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out 3 yrs. ago with no problems at all. The only difference is I wasn't sick all the time anymore after surgery.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in August because it wasn't functioning at all. I have problems with red meat, greasy, fatty, fried foods. Nothing serious, just goes through me quickly.
    Best of luck to you!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I just had mine out on Wednesday 12/28. I had the world's worst gallbladder attack on Christmas night. Thought I was gonna die. Anyhow....I am recovering from the surgery right now. I had the laproscopic procedure. It was not as bad as I expected. The surgery went really smoothly and my appetite is finally coming back. I walked around a bit today without pain. I am still a bit sore...my wounds are fresh...but I will tell you that the surgery is worth it! Feel free to add me and ask me any questions about the surgery...it is still very fresh in my mind!!!!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Mine was taken out in August. No impact on losing weight at all. Big impact on not feeling like I wanted to die for 12 hours at a time once in a while.
  • lissavlog
    Options
    i had my gallbladder removed in may b/c i had gallstones. i was on a strict low fat, low cholesterol, nothing spice, nothing dairy diet for 2 months and dropped weight pretty quickly. Though i still eat low fat & low cholesterol, i have had no complications from eating anything i was originally told i shouldn't. i can eat a spicy meal or even something heavier and i'm fine. no change whatsoever.
  • marasw
    marasw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I had mine out when I was in high school. I had no problems with the surgery and was able to eat whatever crap I wanted both before and after the operation. My dad brought a double cheeseburger value meal to me in the recovery room and when the nurses tried to take it away saying it would make me sick he basically said "No it won't, I know my daughter" and sure enough, I ate the whole thing, didn't get sick, and they sent me home straight from the recovery room. I did, however, gain 100 pounds. I was underweight before the operation...apparently my sick gallbladder was making me skinny in spite of my very unhealthy eating habits, so once it was out I blew up like a balloon. Since you are already tracking your calorie intake and watching what you eat I doubt you'll have that problem though.