Sugar sensitivity?

Since I've started eating healthy, I avoid most sugars. I don't have sugar in my coffee/tea and I rarely have dessert. Honestly the only sugar I eat is from fruit. This past week I've been treating myself to a couple desserts and I have felt HORRIBLY sick afterwards; shaking, nausea, tired, cranky. For example this afternoon I had a frosted cupcake, and I just fell asleep and now I have the shakes/nausea. Have I developed a sugar sensitivity? does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• YogaBooty
    YogaBooty Posts: 52
    Since I've started eating healthy, I avoid most sugars. I don't have sugar in my coffee/tea and I rarely have dessert. Honestly the only sugar I eat is from fruit. This past week I've been treating myself to a couple desserts and I have felt HORRIBLY sick afterwards; shaking, nausea, tired, cranky. For example this afternoon I had a frosted cupcake, and I just fell asleep and now I have the shakes/nausea. Have I developed a sugar sensitivity? does this happen to anyone else?
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    I have the same problem. Because I have learned to keep my glucose levels steady, when I eat sugar the resulting spike of insulin is enough to make me feel miserable. The best way I can describe it is "brain fog" - I can't think clearly, I'm tired, I feel overwhelmed and I feel ill.

Since it's unlikely that you'll go the rest of your life NEVER eating sugar - try to remember to balance it with some protein - that seems to help me.

Isn't it amazing how much abuse our bodies use to take from us and we never knew just how terrible we were treating ourselves?
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Could be you're hypoglycemic and just never knew before. Low blood sugar is pretty common. If someone who is hypoglycemic eats sugar their pancreas doesn't process it correctly. Just a thought.
  • YogaBooty
    YogaBooty Posts: 52
    "brain fog" is a great way to describe it! lol. I just had 1/2 a whole wheat english muffin with cottage cheese and I feel so much better, the protein and complex carb seemed to be a good idea