Dogged by injury but need cardio

Hi Folks,
Any suggestions... I have been dogged by plantar fascia tears; no treadmill, eliptical, stepper, rower. The spin bikes stink at my gym. I need a solid cardio option.

Replies

• I broke my foot the other day. Best bet is to swim but I'm unwilling to shell out for gym membership here. Their prices are ridiculous!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Hmmm...if you don't have a gym membership the only thing I can really think of is shadowboxing which you can do seated or standing. You could probably also do some kettlebell DVD workouts which will be both cardio and strength training and just skip the parts where they do any squats or jumps that would hurt your foot. During the exercises you can't do, just switch back to kettlebell swings or something else that you are able to do.
  • Kettlebells- very cool idea. Thanks!
  • Me too! I was wondering what I could do since I have so much to loose and I don't want my foot to be my excuse, I have gained 25 just because I can't do what I used to! I am glad I am not the only one!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    you can get kettle bells at walmart or other place for fairly cheap, and there are videos out there, I think. have done a few classes, and they about kicked my butt. definitely good cardio.

boxing is another great suggestion.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    I suffered from terrible, terrible, terrible plantar problem. It was due to pregnancy, which releases a hormone, which relaxes all a woman's tendons for birth, but super relaxed my plantar. To top that, the 50 extra pregnancy pounds, flip flops, and a tile floor.

I went to the podiatrist. He wouldn't give me a cortisone shot as I was breastfeeding. He sent me to Physical Terrorist. Yes, terrorist. She hurt me so badly, but she was trying to do good. I went for 6 months, and still couldn't walk in the mornings. I was crawling to the baby in the middle of the night. THat's how bad I was.

I cured it. How?

Yoga. Yoga has many moves that stretch your plantar. Stretching is what the PT wanted me to do. But, I wasn't doing it between appointments. Yoga made me do it. Yoga is what cured me the most

Good shoes. I went and bought Finn shoes made in Germany. These are super shoes and helped to cure my plantar. I also bought these Japanese message sandals. These help to break up any scar tissue that forms. But the very best New Balances you can find for every day. Buy good, non-flexible soled shoes. You need support.

A special sock. They made this sock that keeps your foot flexed while you sleep. The plantar tries to heal at night. If you sleep with your toes even slightly pointed, the plantar heals shorter then normal. The minute you step on your feet, you feel that burning of your plantar tearing. With the socks, not nearly as much tearing. If you can't get the sock, flex & point your feet several times before getting out of bed.

Yoga is an aroebic workout. It will kick your butt. It's a large part of P90X, and it's there for a reason. Yoga makes your muscles strong at joint angles. Isometric. This is how body builders used to get super strong.

Frozen bottle of water. Watch TV & roll your foot over it.

It took me 12 weeks of twice weekly yoga to cure my foot. I still wear my podiatrist's orthodics when I run. I don't and can't run every day. Got to mix it up.