I saw myself today ...

Options
I mean I really actually saw myself. I was in a fitting room and at the end of the hall was a mirror. Do you know those mirrors at a carnival ... ones that make you look long and ones that make you look small? Well, the image I was was one that made me look short and fat. I realized sadly, as I carried my size 22 pants, that there was nothing wrong with the mirror. That it is really the way I look. Whenever I would buy my size clothes, it never even occurred to me how BIG my clothes really are. And I fit into them comfortably. What a wake-up call! I feel very sad tonight ...

Replies

• carlypreiss
    Options
    You can do this! I wear the same size pants (depending on the store, anywhere from an 18-24) and they're starting to feel looser.
    Don't give up :)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    its ok. we have all been there! eventually you will wrap your head around this and be truthful to yourself, your at the point where your ready to do something about it!
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The good thing is you are on here so obviously there is desire to make a change and you are headed in the right direction. Keep at it and you will be wearing size 8 before you know it :)
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't feel sad. Use that energy to conquer this and change what you see. I know the feeling that you felt...but that's what we need...the true picture. That's what sets us free. :)
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    No sadness! That's a huge realization and if you really commit to this lifestyle change you will never see that person in the mirror again! At my highest weight I was the same size (and they were tight!) and I'm now in 14's that are getting looser every day. It takes time, work and dedication but you can turn it around!
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Think positive! You SAW yourself, so now you are doing something! YouCAN. Do this! I am so proud of you for acknowledging it! That is a huge step!!!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You know, there are always going to be people that are bigger and smaller than you are. I am wearing size 28 but they are loose now because I've almost lost 30 lbs! I have to cinch up the waist and they look baggy. Focus on the fact that you are doing something to make yourself healthier! It won't be long and you will be noticing that those pants are baggy too and what's more you will have more energy to move and there will be all sorts of changes. Just keep on logging every mouthful and moving as much as you can!! You can do this!
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody. Your words are very motivating. I am tracking everything I eat and have done it for a few days now. I'm striving to stay within my calorie range. As soon as I get a few pounds off, I hope to be able to walk again (I have COPD and the weight is making it worse). I really look forward to walking everyday again!
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    I hear ya...I tried on almost my entire wadrobe tonight, trying to find something suitable for going out tomorrow night, and I could find nothing. I feel like I look like hell in everything!!!! So fustrating. But I am going to try to use some of my favorite things, things that don't fit now, as motivation. They are hanging on my closet door, and dammit, I will look good in these!!!
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have only been on MFP for a couple of weeks and my motivation has soared! I try to read as much as I can on this site and each story motivates me. I know that I can do it too thanks to the members of MFP!!!!