Roasting Potatoes??

Options
What is the healthiest way to roast russet potatoes?

Thanks :) and is it weird to try to spice them up with a buffalo sauce?

Replies

• realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I do mine in some olive oil, with a bunch of Trader Joe's frozen fire roasted peppers and onions, 380 for about 25-30 minutes....sliced anyway but be consistent in the size of your pieces.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I usually cut them in 1-2" chunks and toss with a little olive oil and seasoning. I put them into a baking pan covered with foil and roast at 375 for about an hour. Sometimes I add baby carrots and onion chunks to them and toss it all together. Everyone in my house loves them!
  • leeuuh143
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! do you usually keep the skin on and if im putting a buffalo sauce to spice it up how do i make sure the veggies wont get soggy from the marinade
  • whalertly
    Options
    I would bake fries with them
    Cut them into sizes you want, add some seasoning, hot spieces, and BBQ sauce, then cook em for about 20-30 at 350. Great and delic
  • Natrgrl
    Natrgrl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would toss them in olive oil and spices and roast them. Then if you want use the buffalo sauce as a dip. Ibet it will make them soggy if you bake the potatoes in it.
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think potatos taste fine without any added fat when cooking, so will simply cut them in to sizes that will cook through, spice them to taste (My go-to's are cayenne, no-salt salt substitute, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper) Press a piece of tinfoil in to a pan, spray it liberally with cooking spray, and bake at 375 covered for 30 to 45 mins, then uncover and broil until they're brown and crispy. You can microwave the full potato for like 3 or 4 minutes if you need less time to cook.
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    FYI
    Nonorganic Potatoes
    The expert: Jeffrey Moyer, chair of the National Organic Standards Board
    The problem: Root vegetables absorb herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides that wind up in soil. In the case of potatoes-the nation's most popular vegetable-they're treated with fungicides during the growing season, then sprayed with herbicides to kill off the fibrous vines before harvesting. After they're dug up, the potatoes are treated yet again to prevent them from sprouting. "Try this experiment: Buy a conventional potato in a store, and try to get it to sprout. It won't," says Moyer, who is also farm director of the Rodale Institute (also owned by Rodale Inc., the publisher of Prevention). "I've talked with potato growers who say point-blank they would never eat the potatoes they sell. They have separate plots where they grow potatoes for themselves without all the chemicals."
    The solution: Buy organic potatoes. Washing isn't good enough if you're trying to remove chemicals that have been absorbed into the flesh.
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about trying some tomorrow with italian or balsamic dressing...
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of potatoes but my ex (a Chef) taught me this years ago. Soak the potatoes in ice cold water, let the starch come out, repeat till water is clear, then pat the potatoes dry before baking or frying. A double fry is another way to get them extra crunchy.

roast them on top of a oven safe wire rack over the pan, that way the hot air with make them crunchy and not soggy sitting in the pan of oil. Salt and pepper them just as you take them out of the oven. Use the buffalo sauce as a dip...enjoy.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    put them in a pot of water and put on stove when they just come to boil drain them well..... then coat them in a little oil and your spice.... you will get a crunchy roast potatoe that way... just to the boil though.