Garmin Technical Questions! Help please!

Options
I got the garmin 310 XT w/ HRM for Christmas, but I'm TERRIBLE with all this technical set up stuff. So here are a few questions:

1) I put on the HRM strap as it directed me & the watch buzzed and said "HRM Detected" but it doesn't display my HR anywhere, even though I have it set to display BPM. Do I have to start running to get it to show my HR?

2) I have downloaded the connector software to my Mac and it says it is installed but that there is no Garmin device plugged into my computer. I have attached the cord to the watch & plugged it into the computer. I know it is plugged in because it begins charging the watch. I have also plugged in the USB stick that came with it. What am I doing wrong to get it all to connect?

I've searched the FAQs on the Garmin website but didn't find any answers to the questions above.

Thanks!

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I strongly suggest that you call Garmin tech support. I've used Garmin products since the 1990's and have found their tech support to be very competent and extremely friendly.

Having said that, I must congratulate you on your taste in HRM's (I have the 305) and in computers (I switched to the Mac in 1987 and wrote software for Apple for 3 years, starting in 2002). And, congrats on the running!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Thanks! Some companies tech support services don't explain anything clearly at all and I was afraid I'd end up more confused! My husband is about to see if he can figure it out and if not, we'll call Garmin's tech support.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This may sound gross.... but lick your sensors on the HRM strap. They have to be wet to connect.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Or run it under the sink like a normal person (not me, obviously) haha!
  • Jeniroosen1
    Options
    This may sound gross.... but lick your sensors on the HRM strap. They have to be wet to connect.

Ha! I lick mine too and that was the first thing I thought of.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I also got a Garmin (405cx) and would like to know if any of you ever use the HRM for things other than running/biking. I play a lot of tennis and box - would love to know my burn for this events.
  • ronkoscelnik
    ronkoscelnik Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sorry to hijack the thread but since were talking about the Garmin i have a question. i have the Garmin 305 and usually use it outside while walking or biking. i have set my bike on a trainer for the winter and wanted to use it inside. i know i did it once after searching for satellites it asked if i was indoors. at my house it finds the satellites and thus wants to track my progress thus showing my standing still for the entire work out and not counting calories etc. (i tried to turn off the gps and auto pause to no avail) do any of you use it inside and if so how? thanks i just re read the booklet and didn't find anything