In Need Of A Multi Vitamin/ Regular Bowel Movements

Options
Okay so I'm not lacking anything in my body but I am in need of a daily multi vitamin. Which ones do you all use and whats a list of the best ones I can take? Also this is kind of personal but I have trouble having daily bowel movements, sometimes I don't go for a few days and I take fiber one pills and drink lots of water. What else can I take or do to be able to go to the bathroom regularly or just to go? Please help!! Your ideas are very appreciated.....

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    increase your fruit/vegetable and water intake. The nutrients and fiber will cover your issues naturally.
  • reachoutsgirl
    reachoutsgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a stool softner sometime the fiber can make hard stools and drink plenty of water
  • rhodenizer
    rhodenizer Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    prunes will work and more fibre. google the subject you will find some interesting reading.
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use Rainbow Light's line of vitamins (you can pick them up at Whole Foods or order online on Amazon).

With regards to regular BMs. Things that get me "moving" ;o)

* Coffee (even more would be soy frappuccino light beverages from Sbux)
    * Sushi
    * Lots of veggies
    * Tea
  • Bells5001
    Bells5001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try a probiotic and you'll have no problems! Meijer makes one that about $13.00 for a month supply.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i use the daily multivitamin from Whole Foods. it was about 28 bucks for a 6 month supply!
  • DeanLite
    Options
    Chia Seeds. YOu can get them from any GNC. They are loaded with antioxidants, fiber, lowers cholesterol and high blood pressure, plus they are a great cleanser. Google facts about them. They are also great for weight loss.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Ground flax seeds can be added to lots of other things and can regulate you!
  • carrie0210
    carrie0210 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I take Nature Made Multi for Her
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Fresh coconut milk.

Also, cut out the fiber pill if you mostly eat fruits/veggies. If you eat a lot of cheese, stop.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I take a popular prenatal, I figure it has everything I might need and I might become pregnant so figure it's a good idea anyways.
  • ValMcB
    ValMcB Posts: 44
    Options
    I find that a salad and an apple a day keeps me quite regular. Plus water. If I drink less than 8 glasses of water a day I throw the whole system off.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Probiotics!!! They make pooing a pleasure. Ok, not really but they do help in an amazing way. I prefer a brand called Pearls but I have had good luck with some generics that say live cultures and digestive health etc. Accuflora was a brand I think.

Also, you may not need a woman's daily if you are not having periods anymore, or aren't anemic. Meaning a senior's or general one may be fine. Good luck choosing the right combo :)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I vote for fiber. If I am feeling stopped up, I find a meal with ~12 grams of fiber really get things moving again. Something like beans combined with veggies. Lentil soup, burrito bowl from chipotle. The key is getting both soluble and insoluble fiber in this fiber packed meal. Other than that, keeping up my intake of fruits and veggies work. Berries + Nuts + oatmeal is another good combo.

And I agree, a strong cup of coffee does the trick. I find it takes 2 shots in an espresso drink and about 30 minutes moves things right along in the morning (it only works in the AM for me).
  • Ashleysh22
    Options
    First of all, are you getting too much fiber? I know that they say you should take fiber to help with bowel movements, but too much OR too little can really impact your bowel movements. Our dietician at my medical school pretty much says stay away from fiber supplements.

I too have had all kinds of bowel problems in the past two years. Two things helped me: First, exercise. I know that sounds weird, but I went from never exercising to exercising 5-6 days a week and saw a dramatic improvement. and second, shakeology, I think its because of all the nutrients in it. Not sure, but I notice big differences in my bowel movements when I drink it regularly versus when I do not drink it at all. And some people have even claimed shakeology has helped their Crohn's Disease, which is a bowel disease. Message me if you want more info on Shakeology

But either way, pay close attention to your fiber totals. You can easily get too much if you are taking a supplement.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have trouble having daily bowel movements, sometimes I don't go for a few days and I take fiber one pills and drink lots of water.

I'm not a regular pooper either. I tried Benefibre but all it made me do was pass gas! My Dr recommended fibre with psyllium so I mix a serving of bran buds into my fruit and yogurt in the morning. It's better but I still do not go daily. My water intake is usually 8-10 cups a day, at least. Coffee doesn't do it for me, neither does exercise. Running will sometimes clean me out but not always. I've heard carbonated drinks can contribute to the issue so I tried cutting those out - didn't help either. The only thing guaranteed to clean me out is TOM. My Dr didn't seem to be too concerned because I've always been this way.

I know this probably doesn't help you much, but at least you know you're not alone!
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    increase your fruit/vegetable and water intake. The nutrients and fiber will cover your issues naturally.

Agree completely with this. Your body will get more benefit from eating more servings then taking fiber supplements.

Coffee and dried fruit (Prunes) also help.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Aloe Vera juice !!! But be careful because too much and you wont get off the toilet.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    Okay so I'm not lacking anything in my body but I am in need of a daily multi vitamin. Which ones do you all use and whats a list of the best ones I can take? Also this is kind of personal but I have trouble having daily bowel movements, sometimes I don't go for a few days and I take fiber one pills and drink lots of water. What else can I take or do to be able to go to the bathroom regularly or just to go? Please help!! Your ideas are very appreciated.....

No matter how I eat I have the same issue so I take Casara Sagrada. it is 100% natural and I get it at outpost or the vitamin shoppe. no side effects at all and I have been using it for 6 months
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    How's your blood pressure?

I have found, in my own self, that a chronic lack of magnesium contributes to both elevated bp and chronic constipation. Getting enough water certainly has helped, though all the other suggestions, from fibre to probiotics, from prunes to chia seed, did NOT. Getting enough magnesium, along with getting enough water, has helped BOTH of my problems.

I use Peter Gillham's Natural Calm in my daily bottles of water, to get the magnesium - and I try for 1 ounce of water for every 2lbs of body weight, per day. That's all that really seems to do it for me.