Zumba?

Options
I was thinking of getting the Zumba dvds and doing the workout. For those that have tried it, is it worth the money, and is it beginner friendly?

Replies

• roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes, and yes. I started Zumba in August and this is the first workout I've stuck with. It can sometimes get a little boring, but that's when you just put your own little spin or "flavor" into the dance. Hope this helps!:smile:
  • Naivea
    Naivea Posts: 22
    Options
    Is it true, on there site they say you burn 1000 calories an hour. Wanting to hear the truth before I make any decisions.
  • roblow65
    roblow65 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't have an hrm, but I know I sweat like crazy. There is a website, you put in your info and it will tell you about how much you're burning. I've seen some posts on here saying that they use an hrm and it's pretty close, give or take a few. It's at zumbacalories.com. It will get you sweating!
  • Naivea
    Naivea Posts: 22
    Options
    thanks!
  • LosingMyselfin2011
    Options
    I love zumba. It's the only workout I actually LIKE. I haven't tried the dvds, but I have gone to several different classes on a regular basis. I have a body bugg, so it is the most accuate calorie tracker out there. I work my butt off! And I have never burned anywhere near 1000 calories. On average I burn just under 500. Usually it is 460-490 for a one hour class. Maybe the dvds are a higher intensity..I don't know. But I just wanted to tell you what my bodybugg tells me.
    I still love zumba!

Ps. That online ZUMBA calorie calculator has always lined up accurately for me when I use the "low intensity" option. Which is crazy because it sure doesn't feel low intensity to me! On the flip side, it has lined up pretty well with the "high intensity aerobic" thing here on MFP. :-)

HTH!!
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba for the Wii, and I Love it. It's fun, and you don't even realize you've worked out until you're done, THEN you feel it! lol
  • ronniekh
    Options
    zumba is for everyone! It's well worth your money and it's not just a great workout but it's so much fun!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    It's a great workout. The DVDs really break down the moves so you're aren't totally lost. I have a bodybugg and it says I usually burn about 8-10 calories per minute doing zumba and I weight 155.
  • branflake5
    Options
    If you have never done Zumba there are tons of videos on youtube here are some links of the videos I do and best thing about them is they are free and the choreography is pretty easy to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRxgHkR_Bbo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCf-unnLh6o&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UYrrx79qwM&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vThDM2fdus&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfsaSHjoFUo

This instructor is my favorite she has a lot of videos and there are also many other instructors with tons of videos try them and see what you think, I was addicted after day 1:) Good luck!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    is it beginner friendly?

It takes a couple classes to get the hang of it! But the more you go, the better you get. And it's really fun.

:smile:
  • azuria518
    azuria518 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was wondering myself if the DVD, game, or classes are better? I'm scared to go to the classes and all the girls are 100 pounds. I swear I'll walk right out, lol.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I was wondering myself if the DVD, game, or classes are better? I'm scared to go to the classes and all the girls are 100 pounds. I swear I'll walk right out, lol.

There a different mix of people at Zumba... I don't think I saw any 100lb girls there. lol
  • BCobey
    BCobey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I have never thought about looking up different sessions online rather than attending a class.
    I love going to the actual Zumba classes, my Zumba instructor is AWESOME! But sometimes with my hectic work schedule, it makes it a challenge.
  • Chika85
    Chika85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! Sadly it has been neglected since I started Insanity. Will need to dance a few songs soon so it won't get jealous. haha.
  • ladybugfrenzy
    ladybugfrenzy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Zumba is my addiction! I go to classes, have the videos, and have the Wii game! When you go to the classes, you will see every body type there. I have seen a wide range of ages too! Even some men attend. I felt really uncomfortable when I first went, but then I realized everyone is there for the same reason: to lose weight. Then I just didn't care anymore and you're moving so much that you don't really pay attention to your neighbor anyways. I have burned up to 690 calories and as low as 450 for an hour. It is still a lot of calories for one hour! I have a HRM to help me.
  • MACNana2
    MACNana2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Zumba is literally the only exercise that I have continued with any regularity. I was a confirmed couch potato. Even after several weeks break to take care of my mother, I went back Thursday and was able to keep up and even push myself. I will continue it filling in with the DVDs when I am unable to make it to class. The only problem I have with DVDs is that I can stop them to go back to it where I cannot stop the instructor at class and must keep going to get my money's worth from class.
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

CLASSES are the best. You can't shut it off when you get tired. You are accountable to finish & give it your best effort. And the atmosphere makes it a lot more fun! You just have to find the right instructor. Also, my classes have women of all shapes, sizes, & ages, so you would NOT be alone. Most of the women in class want to lose weight, so they are not tiny! Give it a try. I'm sure you'll love it!