WOMEN: Lost Weight.... Started Menstruating Again?

Options
So, my periods have always been irregular... but for the past 2-3 years they have only been happening around 3 times a year (no biggie, I've talked to Dr's about it, its fine... especially b/c of the birth control pill I'm on)... now that I have dropped 40lbs... I've had my period 2 months in a row.. I googled it and I found that being overweight can cease menstruation. But, the last time I lost some weight, my period didn't return to normal... maybe I didn't lose enough for it to make a difference... I don't want the darn thing back!!!... Anyone experience anything else like this? Or know why it happens?

Replies

• MissesOfficer
    MissesOfficer Posts: 368
    Options
    So, my periods have always been irregular... but for the past 2-3 years they have only been happening around 3 times a year (no biggie, I've talked to Dr's about it, its fine... especially b/c of the birth control pill I'm on)... now that I have dropped 40lbs... I've had my period 2 months in a row.. I googled it and I found that being overweight can cease menstruation. But, the last time I lost some weight, my period didn't return to normal... maybe I didn't lose enough for it to make a difference... I don't want the darn thing back!!!... Anyone experience anything else like this? Or know why it happens?
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    What you read is exactly right, it's from weight gain and now it's back and will stay back. Sucks, I know!
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    It only took a few weeks and a few pounds for mine to come back! But I think the difference was what I was eating and that I was exercising. I think my body was protesting that I wasn't treating it right and so it wasn't going to help make me a baby factory! We tried for 9 months to get pregnant with my daughter and it seemed that when I lost 5 pounds is when we were successful! I'm hoping to get to my goal weight by the time hubby comes home so I can be sexy for him and so we can have number 2! :laugh:
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that, weird because I was always regular up until this past month where it's been a pain. Though I think something else might be going on considering I've been bleeding on a near consistant bases for a month now. Stopped for four days then came back with a vengence. I feel tired all the time now because of the amount of blood I lost in a short amount of time.

I usually go for six days, instead it went for 2 and a half weeks straight with spotting for the third week coming back heavy on the fourth week. Have an ultra sound test next week so we'll see what they say.
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    I usually go for six days, instead it went for 2 and a half weeks straight with spotting for the third week coming back heavy on the fourth week. Have an ultra sound test next week so we'll see what they say.

That's awful! Hope all is okay!
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    Mine did the opposite!!! I have had horrible periods most of my "adult" life...staying in the fetal position wanting to die, type periods. Now that I have been working out and have dropped a few pounds, it's like my body loves me!!!!!! My birth control is helping, though. I have no complaints! Hope you see improvements! Your body will reward you in time.