Clueless in a Gym But no $ for a PT

I remember why I hate going to the gym--I am clueless. Cardio or strenght first? How do I do all the machines? I feel dumb and helpless. Sadly I can barely afford the gym so I really can't afford a personal trainer not even for one session. Any ideas?

Replies

• Most places will be happy to show you around and answer any questions. Just be honest and say you're not really sure what you're doing and you're wondering of someone could give you a quick orientation?

Beyond that, there are always people in the gyms. Just ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing to give you a few pointers on how to use a particular machine or do a move. Or with training, you could always just strike up a conversation and ask what their usual routine is.
  • meyaotrr120
    meyaotrr120 Posts: 2 Member
    Usually if you ask at the gym reception they can organize for someone to show you how to use the machines properly for free, kind of like an introduction to the gym. If that does not work, then look around at the gym and don't be shy about asking someone else how to use the equipment. Most people would be happy to help. Good luck.
  • Gracestar12
    Gracestar12 Posts: 46 Member
    Can you possibly ask one of the people supervising the gym to give you a quick rundown on how some of the machines operate? Most gyms here (Australia) insist on giving you a 1:1 session when you first join to go over how the machines work and how to operate them safely - this is probably for OH & S reasons and to cover their backsides in the event of litigation... but still...

Also, I've found that whoever is supervising 'the floor' or whatever they like to call the weights area is always helpful if I have a question about something. Just try asking them : )
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    I have ideas!

Ask a staff member at the gym to give you an orientation - tell them you are unfamiliar with the machines and would love to know how they work/what they're for. Hopefully, if they are a good gym, they will get someone to show you right away, or will arrange for a time to do so.

Check out "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women", or Tony Horton's "Bring it on" - they explain a lot of free-weight and barbell exercises.

Check out Jamie Easons program on Bodybuilding.com - she has great clips to explain each week - exactly what to do, how much weight lifting, how much cardio, when to do them, and even what to eat.

Extra Credit: Learn about each different muscle area - where it starts, where it ends, and what it does (brings the leg up, brings the leg back, ect) - this can be helpful in making you more aware of what you are working out, and if you are doing the exercise correctly.

Good luck, and have fun!!!
  • I just started going to a trainer. She says that you should do Strength Training first, then Cardio.
    Super Sets are a great way to get the most workout in the shortest amount of time. You do sets of exercises (i.e. squats, then bicep curls) that work different muscle groups. You move straight through the sets without resting, because when you are working one muscle group, you are resting the other. In this way you also keep your heart rate up.
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightlifting/a/supersets.htm
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    when you start up they always give you at least one session free to try to get you to purchase their training sessions. not necessary to have pt but def helps. depends on what your goals are. have them go thru the machines with you. write down what you do so you know what to do when they arent there and make sure that he goes over upper and lower body also. upper body is always more difficult for me to figure out so if you have to make it that one. then get on the treadmill for five min or elliptical or whatever and then go stretch and then do weight and then do at least 30 minute on whatever machine you choose. make sure you take the time to stretch again after before you leave, so extremely important to prevent aches and pains but never stretch before you warm up as you may pull something. dont feel dumb. i just started back 2 months ago after a car accident and have lost the 15 lbs i gained because of not being able to workout, lost 3 inches from my waist and back into my skinny jeans already. so worth it! and this time my goals are to get super toned so i am gonna keep going until i have the body of jennifer aniston with a badonkadong of course as that is my curse but i love it. good luck i will add you too to help out!
  • I believe that cardio and strength training is key. when I had personal training, he was honest its both you can't have one without the other. The cardio burns the calories, and the strength training helps your metabolism.

So 30 mins a cardio and then Strength training

with strength training you need an upper body day, and a lower body day, and on both days you want to do abs.

since I couldn't afford to stay with the personal trainer he recommended this program http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightloss//a/12weeks.htm

its a 12 week program. and its working for me!!!!! Its gives you help on what you need to do... it gives you exercises too i almost follow it religiously ..

i hope that helps
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    I agree, most places will have one free session with a PT. If not, ask questions. I belong to LA Fitness and all of their machines have diagrams on how the machines are used. I hope that you get as much as you can out of your gym membership.... :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I remember why I hate going to the gym--I am clueless. Cardio or strenght first? How do I do all the machines? I feel dumb and helpless. Sadly I can barely afford the gym so I really can't afford a personal trainer not even for one session. Any ideas?
    Strength first then cardio for more effective use of glycogen. Every gym has at least an orientation on how to use machines, so just ask for it.
    Do at least one exercise for EVERY body part. Start there and bodybuilding.com has videos of how to perform exercises if you forget.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Thanks guys. i will ask tomorrow when I go in. When I went in tonight it was after hours (24 hour gym) so nobody there. When I signed up I asked about a free trainer session because another gym offered it (would of went with them but I need childcare) and they told me they didn't have that and blew me off. it was a 18 yr old kid so I will ask when I go in tomorrow.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Strength then cardio, I know others have said it, but someone said the opposite as well.

There's plenty of free workouts online, find one you like and take it with you. There's plenty to argue about which one is best later, getting started is the most important thing, a beginners will start to develope and learn how to use equipment on practically any program.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Thanks guys. i will ask tomorrow when I go in. When I went in tonight it was after hours (24 hour gym) so nobody there. When I signed up I asked about a free trainer session because another gym offered it (would of went with them but I need childcare) and they told me they didn't have that and blew me off. it was a 18 yr old kid so I will ask when I go in tomorrow.

Thats when I would go up to the PT staff directly and ask... Sometimes the sales people can be jerks. I got a free session when I started, plus two more at a reduced rate.. and then when I switched trainers, I yet again got a free session.

As far as the rest of you're questions, people have covered those and given you really good resources to look at.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    ALL gyms at the very least should show you how to safely use all the equipment, usually with one of the gym instructors not a PT (mine offers a trial session with Pt before you pay but not all do this)Every gym I have ever used insists this is done before you are allowed to use the gym for health & safety so they don't get sued if you injure yourself from not using equipment correctly, not sure if the same applies in USA?
    They will usually ask what your goals are, write you up a program, show you how to correctly perform each exercise and ask you to book on for review in around 8 weeks to see how it's working for you.