Question: protein after working out....

Options
dimplzz
dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
I usually do my workout (during the week) between 8-9pm. After I am done working out, I don't eat or drink anything but water and typically go to bed around 10:30. Would it be ok to have a protein shake right after my workout? I am getting all my protein in throughout the day with my meals but still usually have a couple hundred calories left. I have been pretty much at a standstill for the last few weeks and I want to change something up to see if it will work and I was thinking this might be the right thing.

Also, what brand of protein mix to you recommend? I would probably like to stick with a plain flavor so that I can mix it with the fruit smoothie that I have sometimes. (strawberries, blueberries, peaches, orange juice, and ice)

I keep hearing this stupid commercial on the radio for this liquid protein(aloe vera?). Take it right before bed and burn fat as you sleep. blah blah blah.... Is there any truth to it?

Replies

• dimplzz
    Options
    I usually do my workout (during the week) between 8-9pm. After I am done working out, I don't eat or drink anything but water and typically go to bed around 10:30. Would it be ok to have a protein shake right after my workout? I am getting all my protein in throughout the day with my meals but still usually have a couple hundred calories left. I have been pretty much at a standstill for the last few weeks and I want to change something up to see if it will work and I was thinking this might be the right thing.

Also, what brand of protein mix to you recommend? I would probably like to stick with a plain flavor so that I can mix it with the fruit smoothie that I have sometimes. (strawberries, blueberries, peaches, orange juice, and ice)

I keep hearing this stupid commercial on the radio for this liquid protein(aloe vera?). Take it right before bed and burn fat as you sleep. blah blah blah.... Is there any truth to it?
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    I like a glass of milk (well silk for me-vegan) after my workouts. I've read it has the right balance of carbs and protein for an after work out snack and it fights off any hunger I might have after working out
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

a after workout shake is fine-- I love GNC 100% whey protein
  • dimplzz
    Options
    Oh and how many calories/grams or whatever should I be looking for in a protein powder?
  • dimplzz
    Options
    bada bump....
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    The kind that I get is Isopure low carb whey protein. It's 110 calories per scoop. I either use 1 or 2 scoops.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    They're normally around 100-130 calories. Most protein powders have around 20-25g of protein and people add scoops if they need or want more.

Look at the sugar though. Go for the lowest grams, especially because you're taking it late at night. They normally have 1-3g but some of them go higher.

Oh yeah, banana flavored protein goes well with any fruit. They make for sweeter shakes without any extra sugar.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I've heard regular old chocolate milk is good after a workout.
  • BlossysMom
    BlossysMom Posts: 50
    Options
    Great question..........
    I was actually wondering something similar too. I dunno if anyone saw The Adventures of New Christine but she was taking Protein (whey powder) and got a fat *kitten* from it. Any truth to this?

206200.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    I usually don't get done my workouts until 9 or 10:00 at night and come straight home and make myself a Muscle Milk cake batter protein shake.....
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Oh and how many calories/grams or whatever should I be looking for in a protein powder?

Mine is low carb- like 3-5g

But after a weight training workout carbs are okay and actually good to eat-
  • Petunia_K
    Petunia_K Posts: 35
    Options
    Protein is actually recommended within a half hour after you workout. Helps with muscle building and repair. :flowerforyou: