Am I eating too much cheese

Options

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Have you tried veggie shreds? I have lactose tolerance issues so I'm removing cheese from my diet (although I love it!). Veggie shreds melt and really taste like cheese.http://www.galaxyfoods.com/galaxy-products/soy-cheese/veggie/veggie-shreds/

I'm hooked! :flowerforyou:

Slainte!

Have you tried Daiya? It doesn't have much protein, but it melts beautifully, and is soy and gluten free (if that matters to you).
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    Cheese is modern-day ambrosia. Just make it fit into your macros.

Cheese is one of the great things vegetarians can eat. Why restrict yourself from everything, just because?

FYI: Not all cheese is vegetarian.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I try to eat paleo/low carb... cheese & dairy I have been hanging on to... If you feel good and are achieving your goals, keep it in your diet. If like me, certain foods are a trigger, cut them out! You can gradually cut back if you think you are eating too much but cheese and butter add so much flavor to vegetarian and conventional dishes alike!
  • blueandigo
    Options
    Okay I just checked my fats and from the past week my cheese hasn't been big on the fat. The fat has come from either cake or pop-corn.

I know for sure when I get back in school I actually have a problem eating : /. Another subject for another day.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I think if you're asking the question, maybe you already know the answer.

I'm vegetarian too and since I joined MPF I've decreased my cheese intake dramatically because I know how much fat, sodium and calories it contains! There are MANY other protein sources in a vegetarian diet and some posters have already brought these up.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    As long as the cheese fits within your daily calorie goal, don't sweat it. I sub cheese for meat a lot too and I've still lost.

Forget the low fat stuff, eating small amounts of the full fat cheese will be more effective at filling you up and keeping you feeling full for longer (maybe also make friends with eggs. Eggs and cheese, mmmmmmm).
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Have you tried veggie shreds? I have lactose tolerance issues so I'm removing cheese from my diet (although I love it!). Veggie shreds melt and really taste like cheese.http://www.galaxyfoods.com/galaxy-products/soy-cheese/veggie/veggie-shreds/

I'm hooked! :flowerforyou:

Slainte!

That is a good substitute for you if you have issues for dairy. But otherwise, not really. It doesn't have less calories than a low fat cheese.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    You don't like beans, but have you tried quinoa? It's amazing, with a respectable amount of protein.
  • blueandigo
    Options
    As long as the cheese fits within your daily calorie goal, don't sweat it. I sub cheese for meat a lot too and I've still lost.

Forget the low fat stuff, eating small amounts of the full fat cheese will be more effective at filling you up and keeping you feeling full for longer (maybe also make friends with eggs. Eggs and cheese, mmmmmmm).
    I don't eat eggs. They're nasty.
  • fh1951
    fh1951 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    smile and say cheese...

that's really cheesey!

like some cheese with that whine?

who cut the cheese?

<examples of too much cheese>
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love cheese myself, but since joining MFP I have eaten less cheese and focussed on eating low fat cheese instead of full fat cheese. I never thought I would like low fat cheese before, but I started eating it so I could eat more cheese for the calories, and now it's hard to go back to the high fat stuff.

Also, cottage cheese and ricotta are your new low fat diet cheese friends - they are awesome on toast (ricotta pairs well with a little honey, and cottage cheese is great with tomato relish). Cheese crackers with cottage cheese are deliciously more-ish with two cheese flavours at once. I am continuing my extensive investigations on how you can eat cottage and ricotta cheese, it's a hard job but someone has to do it!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cheese! I'm a vegetarian and I often say cheese is the only reason I don't go vegan, haha :tongue:

As long as you're still staying with your calorie goal and losing weight, I don't think it's an issue! I eat tons of cheese and have still been losing weight right on track. It is high in calories so you may have to exercise a bit more to make up for it, but I think that's totally worth it!
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _John
    _John Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    James

You said "I became a vegetarian because I want to be healthy and move away from all of those things that ...leads to heart problems" and then you go on to tell us you're eating cheese, cake and popcorn and you refuse to eat beans and eggs?!

If you're serious about losing weight and/or being healthy you need to make better choices. There's lots of people here to help you (friend request me if you like), but you have to help yourself too.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Cheese I my favorite but to satisfy my cravings with a little is not gonna happen!
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I may have a cheese biscuit which includes 1 oz. of cheese and for dinner I always have mac & cheese.

I don't think it matters if you're within calories and fat or not, eating just mac & cheese for dinner every day is not healthy. Even if it's not all your eating for dinner, it's probably not too healthy. Packaged mac & cheese is generally a nutritional nightmare. Try switching to whole grains and vegetables. If you must have mac&cheese, make your own with whole grain pasta and a little low-fat cheese grated over it. Serve it with a bunch of veggies. If you really love full on mac & cheese, save it for an occasional treat.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian so it is hard for me to get proteins as I hate beans. I can only drink almond or soy milk as well. I have also found that cheese satisfies me unlike other things I eat. Should I lay back on it? I am obser by Christmas break now so I have almost no access to whey until the semester starts btw.
    OUCH!
    You'd be better off sneaking in some fish when nobody's looking....
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese regularly in small amounts and I am losing weight.

Remember to portion it out and make sure it doesn't throw off your daily numbers...
  • Bentley2718
    Options
    I am a vegetarian so it is hard for me to get proteins as I hate beans. I can only drink almond or soy milk as well. I have also found that cheese satisfies me unlike other things I eat. Should I lay back on it? I am obser by Christmas break now so I have almost no access to whey until the semester starts btw.
    OUCH!
    You'd be better off sneaking in some fish when nobody's looking....

Or teaching yourself to eat beans (and quinoa, brown rice, etc.). Or eating nuts, or reduced fat peanut butter (which you can make by buying natural peanut butter and dumping the oil off the top). Or drinking low fat milk, or eating yogurt.

Can you tell I find the, I eat cheese because I need protein argument a little flimsily?