gall bladder operation

Options

Replies

• PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are many different outcomes from surgery. Mine is an extremely unlucky story, and I'm not trying to scare you, but I'd like you to have the knowledge in case it happens to you.

I had mine removed 6 weeks post-partum (3 years ago) and it was chock full of stones. I had it done laproscopically and they never checked for additional stones. I thought all was well, but a year later I ended up in the ER (different hospital) with acute pancreatitis. Turned out I had a stone lodged in my common bile duct. Had that removed. Wasn't told about another stone, but it was noted in my chart afterward. A year later, more symptoms and I had no idea why. Went to a third hospital where they discovered the other stone, had that removed, no issues. They said there were no more stones, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Sometimes people can still produce stones without a gallbladder.
  • Joj43
    Joj43 Posts: 54
    Options
    I had mine out about 18 months ago because of gallstones that I didn't even know I had. At the time I was being screened to be a kidney donor for my mum and was having every test known to man when they found them. I had my gallbladder out because the doctors said it would be best for me in the long term. I had never even had an attack until AFTER I had it out!! I still get them now and again but the doctors can not determine what is causing them as they said there were no stones left behind in the ducts. I have since found out that I can not stomach codeine in any painkillers after having the op. I've had really bad attacks from that. Other than the codeine, I can usually eat what I like. I soon know if I can't eat a certain food because it's off to the rest rooms pretty much straight after. Good luck :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Had mine out 15 years ago. Drove myself home the day after surgery. Took 1 pain pill and went to sleep that day, after that I was up and about. Back to full duty at work in a week. No difference in weight loss/gain. Never had any digestive issues, but I never did eat a high fat diet. It was always the spicy foods that did me in.

My guy just had his out 3 weeks ago. He was up and about the same day as surgery. He did have some constipation issues, but I think that was from the pain meds. He also had a small umbilical hernia repaired at the same time, so he was off work for 10 days. So far he says he hasn't noticed a frequency issue, but then again he has ALWAYS gone after a meal. He has noticed that he can't eat as much at one sitting....he swears the doc put in a lap band....:laugh:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed. The surgery went smoothly. The recovery was quick. Once I'd recovered, I felt so much better than I had before the surgery. I've never had a problem since- not even when I eat spicy/high fat foods. I've never noticed any difference with my weight loss either.
  • MrsUnderwood
    Options
    I had mine out about four weeks ago...so it was very recent. It was taken out laproscopically so that was great. I didn't have much pain but had to take it easy and was extra tired for at least 3 weeks, the doctor said that was normal due to the sedation medication. I couldn't do any lifting...I couldn't wear pants around my midsection, I wore sweats a lot! My biggest concern was my belly button incision, just try to keep it as clean as possible, clean it out everyday. I used neosporin on a qtip after cleaning it out and that worked out well. I still have to keep an eye on it, just to ensure it is especially clean.

I haven't started working out again yet but I intend to start asap! I am ready to get back in the gym now. As far as food is concerned, just over the last few days I've been noticing that I have been having some problems with my stomach shortly after I eat, particularly if I eat something fatty or greasy. I had to rush to a bathroom about three times today, so that part isn't fun and could be what is called "Dumping Syndrome" but if anything it should just motivate me to eat better!!

You will do fine, just take it easy, get a lot of pillows to prop yourself up as you will only be able to sleep on your back! Overall though the recovery isn't very painful at all!
  • dids01
    dids01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    thank you al for the replies. they are all helpful.
    Happy new year to you all and good luck with your weight loss in 2012.
    Diane xx
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    thank you for this thread, my father has been suffering severe gallstone attacks for a while now and has been scheduled to have his gallbladder removed at the end of january. i admit i was a little bit worried about it as he's not local to me (although i'm sure mum will look after him) and i wouldn't be able to make sure he was ok or what i should expect. you guys have made me feel a bit better about it now. although i'm pretty sure dad think he's going to be able to eat anything i personally think this wont be the case as he's always had tummy troubles. thanks for putting my mind at ease
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    I had mine out in the morning and went to work a few hours later. I was so miserable before surgery that I felt 1000 times better afterwards. Recovery was a breeze. The only problem I had was an allergic reaction to the surgical tape. It made my incisions itch like crazy. I had no down time whatsoever from my ADLs.
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    HI! I had mine removed when I was 15. I'm 32 now and I don't have any problems from it anymore. I did have issues with it for years. I hear that's not common though.

I had difficulty digesting without serious abdominal cramps following surgery. I had to take different types of cholesterol medication several times a day for a few years.

When I was well adjusted enough to be off the medication (I think I was on it for 3 years) I had real difficulty with digesting high fat foods. Peanut oil seemed to be a big problem, caused some bad cramping.

Even when that improved, until I was in my early 20s I would still have issues with high fat food. Basically it would lead to OMG I HAVE TO GO POTTY RIGHT NOW OUT OF MY WAY. That's the best way to describe that. It's like your body tries to expel greasy food as fast as possible from your system.

Even now I pretty much avoid too much fried food. It was fried meat like burgers or bacon or fried chicken that was the more troublesome. I eat fries now without too much of a fuss (again, I still avoid peanut oil because once in a while OUCH).

I don't think the surgery or subsequent issues caused me any weight gain. Most people who have this surgery have absolutely no problems with it. I think my situation was pretty rare.

If you have any problems whatsoever during your recovery and after, be sure to tell your doctor so that you can be taken care of. Don't suffer unnecessarily.

Good luck with everything.
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    I had mine removed on November 22nd, about a month ago. I had 5 laparoscip (can't spell it) incisions, but i live in Australia, so they may do it differently. I was in pain for my 2 days at the hospital, but never took one painkiller after I got home, even though it hurt a bit moving....no big deal though.

To answer some of the other people's issues:

I had gallstones and was told that therefore my gall bladder would no longer be working, so had to be removed or I would have further gall bladder attacks (much more painful than the recovery from the surgery) and possibly pancreatitis which can be very painful and possibly fatal. So getting it removed is the best idea and should make very little difference.

As far as having further stones they didn't find, I had a scan and ultrasound and camera procedure done during the operation to ensure there were no stones lodged anywhere else, and were all removed when my gall bladder was removed.

I had to rest and not drive for one week. I was home alone and managed fine so that gives you an idea how capable you will be. I could not do any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for two weeks, so my daughter helped me with my grocery shopping and I left the housework alone. I took one week off work but apparently should have taken two.

I was also very tired for a number of weeks afterwards but that could have been the particular anaesthetic they used.

I was told I couldn't take codeine, but they gave me panadeine forte (contains codeine) as my standard painkiller in hospital, so I'm assuming I can now...must ask my doctor.

As far as scars go, I am using stretch mark creme on my tummy as I read on here that it can also help with loose skin after weight loss.

I was told to eat a low fat diet for one month after the operation, which I did. I am back to a normal diet now (dairy, etc) but have always eaten low fat so that hasn't really been an issue (trying to avoid cancer, which is in the family, and heart problems). I went close to my fat limit on MFP on Christmas day but had no problems. I have not had to rush to the toilet once since the op...nor did I before very often....but have noticed, on the positive side, that the flatulence I was experiencing before the op has completely gone (the doc told me there was no relationship, but this is what has happened for me). I have never been able to eat cream or cheese without a toilet reaction so will continue to stay away from them...healthier to do so anyway.(In fact, if anything, I go to the toilet less). I haven't had a fast food meal (because I am dieting) but am happy to leave greasy food alone from here on in for health reasons. So I am planning to leave that type of food alone.

As far as weight loss goes....the first week after the operation, which included hospital food (which was fattier food than I would normally eat and way over calories) and no exercise, I lost 600 gms. The second week I lost 400 gms. This was much the same as it had been before. I have gained 600 gms since but that is totally because of Christmas....lol.

I wish you all the best with it. But it should be absolutely fine. I was really nervous about mine and it was perfectly OK....much easier than I expected. And I am much better with food now than I expected I would be too. I would say to just take it a day at a time afterwards as far as food is concerned, stay away from fatty food if only for health reasons, and hopefully you will be fine...you will learn over time what you can and can't eat anyway. Most people have to avoid some sort of food for various reasons so I don't think that's such a big deal...you'll have a really good reason anyway. It'll be fine. Good luck! :happy:
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    I had mine removed in 2010 and I have felt perfect since. No problems with any food. I typically don't eat fried or greasy foods but if I taste something now or then I still feel fine and never have to worry about those horrendous attacks again. I lost approx 30 lbs between my attacks and the decision to watch my weight and eat as little fat as possible. I was literally afraid of eating something bad that would trigger another attack so I ate nothing fatty or greasy and now, a year + later, never looked back! :bigsmile:
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I had mine out many years ago. There is only one food I have difficulty eating, and that is donuts. (They give me hearburn.) I was so, so sick before the surgery, that I often tell people I would have done it for fun if I could have to avoid the year of sickness. I am grateful every day that horrible little organ is gone. I was fine quickly after surgery and never, ever looked back. Yes, you might be different. My surgeon had a list of foods that might cause me issues, but none did. I can't even say the donuts are because of the gall bladder. I probably got hearburn before the surgery too!
  • mylovelyhumps
    mylovelyhumps Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    See, mine was the other way around. I had mine removed about 5 years ago, and because of the way the gallbladder works, I couldnt (and still cant really) eat anything greasy, fried, dairy or spicy without an upset tummy. I had to know where the bathroom was if i was eating anywhere but home, because within minutes, I was in there. I have re-accustomed myself to spicy stuff (and it still gives me trouble, I just love spicy food) I had lost some weight before I had it done, but I lost about 30 lbs in the few months after I had it out.

I had mine taken out and am doubled over in pain if I eat badly. Gall bladder removal fixes one things but if you do not restrict what you eat or drink you can cause more problems. I now have bad reflux and painful ulcers 10 years after surgery.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Great thread! My doctor recommended I have my gallbladder removed. After complaining of stomach pain, had an ultrasound that confirmed that I do have gallstones - not pregnant (thank God, lol). I'm not anxious to get the surgery, haven't had a major attacks yet - maybe that would change my mind.

Has anyone tried or know of any alternative treatments besides surgery? I know staying away from greasy foods and improving my diet will help but was wondering if anyone knows of anything else?
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed in December of 2008 and at first I lost weight, because I couldn't eat from lack of appetite for about 3 days. It turns out I had a complication and had to go back in the hospital. Then my appetite was low for a week. After that, I started gaining weight because I could eat what I wanted. I had trouble with greasy and fried foods too - they went right through me, but it didn't stop me from eating them. I struggled with bile dumps and phantom pain for about a year.

My suggestion is that you eat a low fat, high protein, high veggie diet. Your body can't store or process fat and cholesterol as easily once the GB is gone, and you can retain more fat as a result. Switching diets will help your body adjust quicker to the loss of your gall bladder. And drink a lot of water to keep your bile secretions thin.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw my opinion out there :) I have had horrible GERD for the past 7 years that causes so much scar tissue my throat closes and I have to have it widened every 6 months just to swallow! Horrible pains when eating too much fat, or grease, and burning pains in my chest. Took that whole time for them to finally discover gallstones and recommend me have it removed but after covering from a Pulmonary Embolism, I was on blood thinners and couldn't have the surgery....so I read about the gallbladder and it's functions and decided that I would change my diet in the meantime to help limit the pain I would get until surgery day.....well it's been almost 6 months so far and I occasionally have burning chest pain or acid reflux but haven't had an attack I would go to the ER for. Deoending on how bad your pain is, if you can change your eating habits, sometimes you can live with it and not have to have surgery.

Every time you have surgery there is a risk and you body needs to heal itsself. Depending on your body, you may or may not need to change your diet permananlty afterwards due to the fact it is no longer there serving its purpose. Even though we can live without the gallbladder, I don't think that means we should unless we HAVE to. If you have severe pains all the time or if it is life threatening, I would do the surgery. If you get the occasional flare up like I do but its because you are eating greasy and fatty foods, then I would say give it a shot and try with a change in your diet first. My gallstones are still there but they don't bother me enough to risk another surgery. I have had 4 of them so far between my back, knee, etc.... so I am a believer that once they cut, it's never the same and some people get WORSE after it's removed. It all depends on the person.

It's your decision because it is your body and only you know if you think it's untolerable now or if you think a change of eating habits will help. Just be cautious that things don't always go as planned and there are not only complications from surgery, but there is a risk that it still doesn't solve the problem and your body will be working harder to do the job the gallbladder did. It's case by case and everyone is different and needs it for different reasons.

My recommendation, from me needing it, and my cousin who had hers removed, I would say lose it if its a really bad problem, but keep it if you can!
  • skatermom503
    Options
    Hi
    Having mine out tomorrow. Friend or message me if you like and I'll let you know later this week!
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Great thread! My doctor recommended I have my gallbladder removed. After complaining of stomach pain, had an ultrasound that confirmed that I do have gallstones - not pregnant (thank God, lol). I'm not anxious to get the surgery, haven't had a major attacks yet - maybe that would change my mind.

Has anyone tried or know of any alternative treatments besides surgery? I know staying away from greasy foods and improving my diet will help but was wondering if anyone knows of anything else?

I did a LOT of research, especially into natural remedies, before agreeing to surgery. I even did a gallbladder cleanse that was very unpleasant. When I realized the things you pass aren't even gallstones I was really irritated. They are little green balls of bile-covered olive oil. I then modified my diet to high-protein low-carb but it made my attacks 10x worse (I realized later this was from ranch dressing...dur!) The only thing that did not trigger attacks were starchy foods (carbs) and I have PCOS so this is the opposite of what I should eat. So eventually I opted for surgery. Totally worth it to me. Now I can high-protein low-carb with no issues. And I can eat ranch dressing! :)
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had mine out by emergency surgery in April of 2009. I had severe attacks prior and drove myself to emergency where they removed it immediately. Afterwards, I felt sore, but was running again within a week (slowly!) and lifting weights within 2 weeks. The only "treatment effect," as I like to call it, comes from fake butter. So, I can't get butter on my popcorn at the movie theater, or use spray butter, or use anything that is a butter substitute. Let's just say that it greases things up. Prior to surgery, I lost 80 pounds, which I have since found out can be a determinant in causing gall stones. Since then, I have maybe lost 10 more. But, like I said, I haven't had to change my diet at all (except to eat real, delicious, creamy butter).
  • fullgambler
    Options
    Story:I am a very active 69yr.old female.I had my gallbladder removed when I was in my early 40's.I did fairly well for about 3yrs and then I started having severe pain in my right side where my gallbladder had been located.I had to go to ER and they did a gastroscope and saw where a stone was supposedly caught in the bile ducts.So they had to replace the bile ducts with some plastic tubes for the stone to get through,Went home that evening and during the next two days I was in bad pain everytime I bent over,Went back to my gastro Dr. and the tubes were too long and they had to shorten them.Spent several days or nights in the ER due to the excruciating pain.The tubes have been replaced a few times and the last time was a little over a year ago.I have been to ER at least 3 times in the past year down on the floor in the worst pain ever due to stones getting stuck in the bile ducts.Til the stones pass I can not do anything but,cringe in pain and get morphine for the pain.Sometimes the pain will last for 3 hours.I have to take an antibiotic so I won't get infection in that area,this is what I am doing as I put this reply on here.I also have severe IBS with diarrehea most all the time and take the anti-diarreheal medicine everyday that I leave the house and know I am going to be gone for awhile.I also have GERD.So,I really don't know if the gall bladder surgery was for me or not.I don't think so.I know a few other people who have had the exact same problems as I am having.So,I wish each of you the best if you make the decision to have your gallbladder removed.