crosstrainer vs treadmill

Options
I am hoping to invest in a decent piece of exercise equipment so that I can still workout if I cant get to the gym. Would u recommend the crosstrainer or the treadmill. I am trying to build up my running but also do njoy the crosstrainer. Wot gives u the better/most effective workout.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    get a crosstrainer (do you mean elliptical?) you can always run outside.
  • jameslucy
    jameslucy Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I cant always get out as I have 2 young kids and my husband works long hours.
  • poulingail
    Options
    The cross trainer gives a much tougher workout. If you know you like it already get one of those. I am a real spazzz on those so a treadmill is for me.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you are seriously trying to build up your running, and can't get outside much because of the kids, etc. then a treadmill would be better to help with your running. I love my treadmill for when it it too hot or too cold but otherwise love outside running - but am not tied to kids (I'm old. LOL). Otherwise, if you get plenty of running time already, then the cross trainer would be a great investment.
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had a treadmill and it burned up. Replaced it with an elliptical. I love it and am so glad that I replaced it with it. However, given the chance I would like to try a Bowflex TreadClimber. But highly recommend the elliptial. I went to a sporting good store and got on everyone that I could to see which fit me better as I am 5'1" and very short legged. I found the front drive one worked best for me. Good luck in your search.
  • danmoffett
    Options
    I've lost 145 pounds in the last 21 months.
    I've learned you don't need to exercise to lose weight.
    After losing the weight I have so much energy that I want to exercise.
    I have a Belicon rebounder, a Body by Jake Tower 200, and a few dumbbells. That's all you need.
    Running is bad for the body. Rebounding is low impact. NASA and the USAF did a study and concluded that rebounding is the best exercise devised by man.
    It's fun, like jumping on the bed when you were a kid but without getting yelled at.
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I've lost 145 pounds in the last 21 months.
    I've learned you don't need to exercise to lose weight.
    After losing the weight I have so much energy that I want to exercise.
    I have a Belicon rebounder, a Body by Jake Tower 200, and a few dumbbells. That's all you need.
    Running is bad for the body. Rebounding is low impact. NASA and the USAF did a study and concluded that rebounding is the best exercise devised by man.
    It's fun, like jumping on the bed when you were a kid but without getting yelled at.

This sounds interesting, I've been avoiding running for fear of causing damage to my knees, ankles etc. (being large and putting that much shock pressure on the joints doesn't seem like a good idea to me). Therefore I tend to swim alot. No pressure on any joints with that! And as for elliptical vrs treadmill, I think my choice would be elliptical. But I am keen on learning more about this Rebounding. Oh yes and congratulations danmoffett on your wonderful success, it's allways inspirational to hear real success stories like your's.