Vegans/vegetarians with Multiple Sclerosis

Options
Hi! I'm Heather and I've been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis since 1998. I started out on Avonex, moved to Betaseron and have now been moved to Tysabri due to 2 attacks real close together and changes in my MRI. Since being on Tysabri, I have felt really well.

A couple of months ago, however, I happened across a several documentaries which really hit home. Food, Inc., Forks over Knives, The Gerson Miracle to name a few. For about 6 weeks now, I have been eating a strict vegetarian diet (I would say vegan, but I still wear my leather boots and do not want to mislabel myself). My diet consists of whole-food, plant-based foods. I shop primarily at Whole Foods and much of it in bulk. Nuts, beans, lentils, are my protein friends and my grains are whole, vegetables organic as much as possible. It struck me that I've been putting a lot of junk in my body for a long time and so I made a personal decision to change my habits. I also believe my poor eating up until a couple of years ago haven't helped my MS and could have been a contributing factor!

I have never felt better than when I started eating this way. I have consistently balanced my nutrients for the whole 6 weeks and supplement with a woman's daily vitamin as well as B-12, C, D, and calcium.

When I told my neurologist about this, he was anything but supportive. He referred to what I was doing as a 'crash' or 'fad' diet and basically told me it was dangerous. Needless to say I discounted it as ignorance on his part. After all, he is a neurologist, not a dietitian. I really wish, though, that he had taken some time to look into it before giving me such a negative response.

Has anyone here ever had a similar experience? I doubt I'm alone in this health-care vs. holistic care struggle. The medical industry doesn't seem to want to embrace what has been successful for many cultures over thousands of years and I just find myself angry with my Doctor's response. He basically threw his hands in the air and said "You're on your own" and walked out of the room. How wrong is that?

Thoughts? Comments? Help? Stories?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• tonitgarner
    Options
    I am being treated for a pre-lupus condition by a rheumatologist. When I told her that I was trying to better my health by becoming a vegan, she did not seem very happy with me. She was not suportive of my decision at all.
  • Wackydiva
    Wackydiva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It really shocks me that they look at this as unhealthy. Maybe the way some people do it? I mean, you can't live off broccoli & lettuce alone, but if an individual is responsible as I am and balances the nutrition perfectly, how can a person who has made human health the study of their life be angry about it. I tell you, sometimes I wonder if it's because they know that eating animals keeps them in business!
  • prsauer
    Options
    I too have MS and have also made the exact same changes you have about 6 years ago. I have not been on any medicine for over 8 and have been relapse and symptom free. I run about 4-7 miles 3-4 times a week and feel that my diet plays the most important role. Check out this web site about a physician with MS who has also made the same changes and is now out of a wheel chair. Please continue on your path and consider a new neurologist. You need and deserve someone in your corner.
    http://www.terrywahls.com/
    Also check out books by Joel Fuhrman MD. Good luck with your new changes. You are doing a great thing for your health.
    Pam
  • Wackydiva
    Wackydiva Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Pam, thank you for your response. Wow! That story about Dr. Wahls is truly inspiring as is yours. I really cannot see any reason NOT to do this. None at all. I am struggling, though, to find someone in Cincinnati that will support my way of life. I really believe strongly that much of the pain & suffering in this world could be managed in this way. It's really a shame that we have gone so far in the wrong direction as a society. I don't know how we can change the widespread thinking that chemical additives, animal protein, and pesticides are "ok" and "safe", but I know in my own little world, it's abundantly clear! Thank you so much for responding. You made my day!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather!

I do not have MS, but I am vegan and my grandfather had MS. This and other myriad health issues seem to plaque my family and I wanted to do SOMETHING proactive for my health. I feel better than I have in my life - my cholesterol is down, my weight is down, and I have more energy than I've had in a long time!

My husband and I both work in the medical field. Doctors are NOT proponents of nutrition. They generally receive one lecture on nutrition as it applies to health. It's not that doctors are AGAINST good nutrition - they are not taught anything about it and just don't see how it is connected to disease (or lack thereof). It's too simple. As an example, there have been a lot of studies on nutrition in pregnancy. But even now, many OBs will tell women it doesn't matter what they eat - just as long as they take their prenatal vitamins. But study after study has shown that a good diet results in decreased pre-eclampsia, prematurity, premature rupture of membranes, increased birth weight, and so on and so on. Most OBs discount this information. A high risk pregnancy OB I worked for thought it was "bunk." So if they can't see the obvious cause and effect of good vs poor nutrition on a growing baby, they aren't going to see it with an invisible disease.

I applaud you for being proactive with regards to your health. I do not see how, especially with your attention to your nutrient intake, this could possibly hurt you. It at least wouldn't hurt to try.

All the best to you with your changes to improve your health.
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    About 17 years ago there was a woman in our church who was suffering with MS. She had 2 young children, and she found herself in a wheelchair taking her medication every day. She decided that was NOT acceptable, and she took matters into her own hands. She bought a book on how to eat with MS, did tons of research (before the internet age), and she healed herself through eating and nutrition! She did say that she had to follow the diet exactly, down to the ounce, but looking at her, you'd never know she had MS! It didn't take long to get out of the wheelchair, and she became an active, healthy, running around chasing the kids mom! Her testimony really impacted my life back then, and helped me focus on good nutrition!
  • rcaton3
    rcaton3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I struggled with hyperthyroidism for years literally taking 18 anti thyroid pills a day. My upper right quadrant area (liver area) hurt constantly. I asked the dr. if the pain was caused by this massive dose of medication he said no. I could not walk to the bathroom without being exhausted. just sitting around my heart rate was around 120 to 130 beats per minute and i had to take proprananol to lower it and still it wasn't working. I had a thryoid storm and I was hospitalized, they had to jolt my heart to get it working after they gave me medication I told them I was allergic to, I woke up in CCU. I did research and one theory is that thyroid diseases are caused by a nutritional deficiency either copper (for Hyper) or zinc (for hypo). I mentioned it and was immediately dismissed by the Dr. I wanted to try and fix the problem I was desperate and tired of three years of existing not living. At that point I made an active decision I would question, question, question. finally the VA finally approved my surgery. i'm sure the call to the Governor's office complaining about the lack of concern and treatment had bearing, because the day after that call, the VA called and set up surgery for the following day. after they told me two days prior the dr. was ready, i was ready but the va wouldn't approve it and it would be another month or so. For some reason that the dr. cannot explain after the surgery, the pain has stopped completley! still not acknowledging even the possibility that it was the mega dose meds. Now I'm healthier but have gained 50 lbs and am having trouble with getting my thyroid levels equalized. (not sure the word healthier should be used!!!) LOL! I have gone from hyper to hypo.
    I take a more active role in my care. You are your only advocate when it comes to your health you know when you don't feel quite right, what makes you feel better or worse. So, questioning the authorities sometimes makes them angry but they should understand your concerns, and if not get a second opinion with one that has more compassion and understanding willing to be open to actually listening to you.They can get hemmed up in the God syndrome and they forget they work for you. I went to three doctors before I was diagnosed with my disease, I didn't allow them to ignore my concerns. I am grateful that I did otherwise I'd probably be far worse. So, joining the MFP is another way for me to question. It helps me question myself- if I am eating the right way and exercising.
    My niece went Vegan on us about three months ago and she has convinced me to try it. I just have to learn how to cook differently now! do you have any recommends for recipes?
  • spazgrl74
    spazgrl74 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi, I am both Vegan and have MS. I am Married with two boys 6 and 13. My mother in law and father in law live with us. They are separated :# and don't play well together, so we made a studio apartment for my father in law out of the garage and my mother in law stays in with us. We have a dog (6lb) a cat (30lb) and a cockatiel.Delete Unfortunately, love of sweets and lack of mobility topped off with steroids, now there is two of me (yikes). I tried to refuse to use the wheelchair for over a year. Most of my legions are in my brain and I have no feeling below my knees, spasms, severe pain, some crankiness (I need to blame it on something :D why not MS) . I now have 6 herniated discs in my back from all the falling. Lesson learned, it takes some of us more than shear will to overcome this disease. I only use the wheelchair when we go out. I cannot drive anymore, so I bought an electric wheelchair. I live in a town with a fantastic public transportation system, I use the electric wheelchair as my car, I hang all my grocery bags on the back. I also take it to my local YMCA (I live .03 mile away from...Awesome) to go swimming every day. I started swimming in August and I find for me its great for mind body and soul! swimming has helped me regain a lot of strength that I had lost. I still walk around inside my house but my husband had to make some modifications. we converted the dining room closed it off and moved our bedroom on the main floor (we were in the attic / beautiful huge bedroom), had to add a ramp to come in from the street (there is a funny story to that). I no longer go upstairs to the boys rooms or the attic, I don't go down to the food pantry in the cellar either. My husband and I have a business we do custom molds and sculptures. He sculpts and molds I cast and paint and handle all the paperwork/sale. My neurologist started me on Tecfidera but the cost was just too much for my family. we pay $940 a month for our health insurance and since tecfidera is tier 5 my cost was 33% that came to $214.50 a month! I realize that it is tax deductible, but we just didn't have that money to spend. I am now on glatopia which is the generic copaxone. I have been on copaxone for 5 years now. MS likes to remind me its there with regular bouts of optic neuritis in my left eye, and frequent speech disturbances. I am also blessed with a fantastic family support system. We find the humor in MS... and you don't have to look too hard, its everywhere!
    Over the years I have collected many vegan recipes, some even your meat eating friends will not balk at ;) feel free to ask me