30 Days into my journey on here......

Options
I don't know for sure how much weight I have lost. I don't have a scale here that goes that high and I have to use the one at my Dr.'s office. Last time I was weighed I was 381. I get weighed again on Jan 10. I am anxious to see the results. But I have noticed some changes that are encouraging:

Breakfast: If I had breakfast before it was almost always a package of pop tarts and a Mt. Dew. Now I wake up starving and craving decent food. I eat breakfast every day now.

My stomach is shrinking, or at least feels like it. I get full much faster and hardly finish my lunch or dinner meals. I am eating all day long but still under my calorie goals most of the time. When I do over eat at a meal, like two nights ago, I feel sick.

For over a year I have had some major issues with m bowels. I would have accidents in public and in my car. It was incredibly embarrassing and I actually kept a pair of underwear in my purse with me and pants in my car all the time. One of the first things I would do when I work up was take an Imodium and then keep them in my purse and take one before lunch and sometimes dinner. I have not had one single accident since I changed my eating and exercise habits. In fact, I am almost normal down there which I can't remember the last time that was. :happy:

Sex Life. Sex life has always been good with my husband. But now it is even better. He can now lay on top of me and kiss me without me feeling like I was suffocating from the fat my boobs would push up to my throat. I have more endurance and flexibility. I can't see it but he tells me my belly is smaller and so are my breasts (those I do notice a little bit). I don't constantly cramp up while having sex.

I feel proud when I am under my calorie goals and especially when I work out. Before I could barley do 10 minutes of Jillian's Boost Metabolism. Now I can do 40 minutes, even though I feel like I am going to die, I get it done. I also started the 30 day shred. I can walk further than I used to and stand longer.

I weigh my food. I used to laugh at people who would do that and think how lame. But now I weigh and measure out my food. I am finding that if I eat the actual serving size it usually fills me.

I am drinking a lot more water. I still do one Mt. Dew at dinner. Once in a while I do two, like yesterday, I let my craving get the best of me. But I was drinking literally a 2 liter or more a day including two or three of those large $1 sodas at McDonald's .

I am finding honesty with my husband motivates me. He seriously thought I was under 300 lbs. I am hour glass shaped and most people would not believe I am as big as I am. When I told him my goal was 200 lbs, for now, he didn't understand why. He fought against me thinking I was going extreme. When I told him my real weight it brought him to my reality. Now he fully supports me and is much more encouraging.

My pants are still the same size. I don't know how much, if any, weight I have actually lost, but I do know that this life style change has changed my life and coming on here was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. And yes, for the first time I am doing this for ME not anyone else. :wink:

Replies

• sunshinel397
    Options
    You are doing amazing. I am really happy for you that this journey has been fulfilling. Best wishes for 2012! It is your year to shine.
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    You are doing amazing. I am really happy for you that this journey has been fulfilling. Best wishes for 2012! It is your year to shine.
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Wow! You've had some amazing success for only 30 days! You should be incredibly proud! Let all these great achievements motivate you to keep going and keep making healthy changes for yourself. Can you imagine where you'll be a year from now if you stick with it? :smile:
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the overeating pains. Whenever I eat junk food or just plain overeat, I end up feeling really sick. I don't enjoy that feeling at all and I much rather would eat a healthy amount and stop myself before eating too much rather than letting myself go. Simply put, i'd rather eat too little than too much. Wow, that doesn't sound like the old Kagen I knew :) Good luck to you and your progress. Maybe someday we'll both be able to drop the Dew habit...maybe.
  • GoinOrganic
    GoinOrganic Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I LOVED your sharing (although the sex part a little graphic for the granny in me!)... getting honest with ourselves is step 1 to success... compassion is another.... there are layers and layers of process here. Let me know if you need specific support at any time, I'd be honored to support someone like yourself!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking these steps to be healthy! And how awesome that you have such a supportive husband! Keep up the great work!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! You have an incredibly healthy attitude. This should be about becoming healthier - losing weight is just one of the many benefits.

Don't be discouraged if you haven't lost much scale weight. Remember that muscle is denser than fat and with the amount of exercise you're doing, you're definitely building muscle. And, it sounds like you haven't been weighed for a while so it's hard to know where you were on the first day.

One bit of advice I wish someone had said to me - now is the time to take those full body shot photos. You don't have to share them online, but they are an excellent way to really see how much you've progressed over time.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I LOVED your sharing (although the sex part a little graphic for the granny in me!)... getting honest with ourselves is step 1 to success... compassion is another.... there are layers and layers of process here. Let me know if you need specific support at any time, I'd be honored to support someone like yourself!

Sorry about the sex part. I tried to keep it real clean! :) It has transformed my relationship with my husband so I wanted to share. I appreciate the support!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Wow...good for you! Thank you for sharing your story! Regardless of what that scales says on the 10th you have made some amazing, wonderful changes. And that's got to feel good! So proud and happy for you!! Thank you for inspiring us!
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Well done and keep it up!

Since you have infrequent access to a scale I would suggest getting a tape measure from a craft store and taking measurements once a month as well. That will help you keep better track of your weight changes in the meantime. And those inches dropped are amazing, let me tell ya. haha.

As for the soda: biggest addiction and hard to ignore. I used to practically live on soda. I'd drink 6-7 bottles/cans of soda a day. Now? I might have one every week or two. If I do get a soda going out to dinner I can't always finish it. Which makes me feel great. I think cutting out all of the soda was the best thing I could have done to change my weight and the more you can cut it out the better off you will be. Caffeine does terrible things to our bodies.

I have the same issue with feeling full faster now. It's an interesting dilemma. I've learned to fill my plate less. I can always go back and get a little more, but if it's on my plate from the start I'll probably eat it.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing really great! One of the most important things is being honest with ourselves, and then making corrections when we mess up. You are so lucky to have such a supportive husband. Make sure you show him how much you appreciate that. And good luck in your next 30 days! Now that you know you can do it, there is no turning back! :D
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! To me, the most important changes are in your brain! You are making better choices, and feeling the results of those changes on many, many levels! The scale is a nice payoff when you see a drop, but my advice to you is to also get a tape measure. The tape measure NEVER lies! I usually do a measurement 3 times in a row to account for tape placement, how I was breathing, etc and over time you will be truly astounded with your inches melting away!

I am so happy for you that you made the decision to get healthy and to stick with it. Please remember it isn't a race and there will never be a day when you can say, "I'm done". This will always be a lifelong endeavor, but you will always have us! I'm in it for the long haul. I have 4 more pounds to lose and then I'm on mainenance, but my food choices and exercise will always remain the constants.

I've taken the long road to losing 70 pounds over 5 years and I have learned a lot about me. I hope you will continue to learn more about yourself and how strong a woman you really are inside. I don't have anyone outside of MFP who can relate to my weight loss issues, so this is a very nice place to be!

Best of luck to you and Happy New Year!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,267 Member
    Options
    Many non-scale victories (NSV's) for you! Congratulations on your success in only 30 days! Being honest with ourselves and celebrating the NSV's is a great way to remain motivated and on track. You have a healthy attitude. Continue to measure your success by the NSV's and the numbers on the scale will follow.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • twogoots
    twogoots Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I see the happiness in your post. Keep up the great work and I bet you will see a difference on the scale on January 10th. I hope you post your update on this thread when that time comes around. I'll be here to encourage you along.

What types of meals are you eating now? I am always on the look out for good easy meals for my whole family.