Hot wings?

Options
TheFitHooker
TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
Hey guys,
I have a huge bag of wings to make for dinner. Since it's New year's eve I agreed to my husband I'd make Hooter style hot wings. Thing is, just 6 wings is over 700 calories, and I'm trying to think of away that I can eat them without having so much calories? So my question is, does anyone have a low calorie recipe? I do not want BBQ wings, I do have stuff to make a sauce like Hooters, but I'm not so sure I should eat the sauce on mine lol. I'll be frying my husband's but thought maybe I could bake mine and take away some unhealthy fat. Urg I hate cheating... Any ideas?

Replies

• doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    , bake them....you can still put flour on them to crisp them up. There not as good, but still satisfying.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bake them. Also, does the 700 calories include some sort of blue cheese dip? Could you skip the dip?
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    No that's just the wings, I don't use dip on my wings anyway.

Yeah I thought about baking them just not sure the calories and how much better that will make them?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The calorie count is form the deep frying and the fat in the sauces.

Bake them and skip the butter in the sauce. Frank's Hot Sauce on its own has virtually no calories, the butter is a carrier to make it mix better with the wings.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Have him make a batch for you and another batch for you. :love:
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I use Wing-it sauce... it is amazing and has 0 calories per tsp serving. I like it much better the hooters sauce.
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    Bake them and I would make the sauce with a Smart Balance 50/50 stick instead of whole butter. Not sure how many calories you will be saving but some is better than none.
  • sunset19
    sunset19 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't bread them, the skin will crisp nicely if you bake at a high temperature. But most of the calories are from the skin I am guessing.
  • LeslieMartina
    LeslieMartina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Randomly, the best wing sauce I've tried is what they sell at dollar stores (dollar tree I think) and it's zero calories too. I sometimes toss chicken breast strips in it after roasting them. It's just as satisfying for me.
  • taradactyl81
    Options
    Get a package of skinless chicken breast and cut them into strips. put some of the sauce on them and bake them and then dip them in low fat ranch or blue cheese. Thats my plan. Good luck and happy new year
  • bean6344
    bean6344 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like naked (or skinless) wings. They are a bit of extra work, but they are only about 40 calories per wing. Bake them with non-stick spray and any of the lower or zero calorie sauces and you can enjoy them without any guilt.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I soak mine for a few hours in Frank's Red Hot Sauce and then bbq them using more sauce. You could bake them too.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    *double post
  • kryshouston
    Options
    Get a package of skinless chicken breast and cut them into strips. put some of the sauce on them and bake them and then dip them in low fat ranch or blue cheese. Thats my plan. Good luck and happy new year

Sounds great
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    I think I'll go back to the store in a few and see about one of the other sauces... I already have a huge bag of wings and they weren't cheap lol. I think if I just did a 0 cal sauce or something might take a lot of cals out and bake them with no breading...
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Overbake. The skins fat should keep the meat inside relatively moist, though they will dry out a bit. I'd say over an hour at like 450. My friend made these with cooking spray, then just tossed them in Franks Red Hot and they taste great. That way you have no added fat. When I've made then I've also peeled the skin before tossing them to let the fat help with taste but not go in to my stomach, then I mix with the hot sauce. I then used a high end low-fat blue cheese dressing, but I can't remember the name of the dressing right now. It was great and requires no frying and no butter! Salt content will obviously be high :)

Thanks,
    Shawn
  • SweetMegz04
    SweetMegz04 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love hot wings.. I can't even remember the last time I had them! So this info is very helpful
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    hooter style? you mean you're going to dress provacativly and then get mad when he hits on you? don't forget to over charge him too.
  • cathyvice
    cathyvice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    this made me laugh lol