Chinese Food - HELP!

Options
I'm going on an outing to a Chinese buffet next saturday and I was wondering if any of you know some healthy options I could choose?

Replies

• callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the noodles. Those things will KILL your calorie budget. Try to stick to things that don't look fried. I try to pile on as many veggies as possible, leaving little room for the "bad" stuff. Either way, Chinese buffets are not great for "diets", but don't forget you can always get a salad (most people forget they even HAVE salad on the buffet). Try playing with the calorie tracker ahead of time so at least you're aware of what is in your favorite foods and what is the healthiest option.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd just go and enjoy myself and not worry about what's "healthy". Life's too short and it's there to be enjoyed and you'll never truly succeed unless you find that balance between enjoyment and abstinence.

As it's a buffet, you can have a little taster of everything you like. Sure you're probably looking at ca.1200 Calories but you could factor in some extra exercise before and afterwards to build yourself some room for a spring roll or sesame prawn toast and some chow mein or lemon chicken. (sorry getting a little carried away with the thought of the buffet :tongue: )

You've already lost over a stone, so it's highly unlikely that one buffet evening will undo all your hard work.

I've eaten like a horse over Christmas and I've maintained because I've kept swimming and not become a couch-potato.

Tonight's Hogmanay Party at the pub and I know there's going to be a regal buffet fit for a King with all sorts of goodies (not to mention the booze :drinker: ) but I shall go and enjoy and maybe only have one or two sausage rolls instead of the bucket I used to trough! :laugh:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    OOOH, Chinese is a weakness of mine! I try to do veggies and steamed stuff, with a little meat. I typically go for steamed rice with veggies, and a little bit of chicken. Or, lettuce wraps if available. However, sometimes I just go for it, enjoy myself, and get right back on track by getting my favs like hunan or general tsos chicken. Can't have a lifestyle change without enjoying your favorites! :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I always just try a taste of the things I really like and maybe go back for a little something else like a bowl of hot & sour soup
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You can use my philosophy: Eat what you want, but exercise the calories off like crazy.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Beef with Broccoli is a good one as they don't bread the meat. Fried rice (or most rice and noodles) aren't best choice if avoiding calories and fat nor is anything "sweet & sour".
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    chicken broccoli is usually a safe bet, soup as well, stay away from all the fried stuff...remember veggies, veggies, veggies, but all Chinese is loaded with sodium! Or eat what you want and work out like heck afterwards!
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Eat 1.5 of these before you go to the Chinese Buffet (aka "Artery Stopping Place"): http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_clif_bar/1203
    Then, opt out of the buffet, drinking only water with lemon instead.
  • mama_to_1
    mama_to_1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Chinese is a weakness of mine :embarassed:

i normally eat what i want but in smaller portions than i used to. but i LOVE veggies, so i normally pile those on and fill up on them and then a little bit of rice and small portion of chicken (cause i like the fried stuff :happy: )
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My tips are to A) Enjoy the food but in moderation: b) if it s a help-yourself- affair - try sitting in an awkward place so you have to disrupt people to get second helpings; c) drink chinese/jasmine tea to counter/metabolise the fats, d) ask for a use a smaller plate or bowl e) If you can, use chopsticks too - this slows your eating and you will fuller quicker.

And so what if you binge a little don't beat yourself up - just made adjustments later in the week.
    Enjoy , and Happy New Year
    Tara :smile:
  • Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My tips are to A) Enjoy the food but in moderation: b) if it s a help-yourself- affair - try sitting in an awkward place so you have to disrupt people to get second helpings; c) drink chinese/jasmine tea to counter/metabolise the fats, d) ask for a use a smaller plate or bowl e) If you can, use chopsticks too - this slows your eating and you will fuller quicker.

And so what if you binge a little don't beat yourself up - just made adjustments later in the week.
    Enjoy , and Happy New Year
    Tara :smile:
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am ordering 1/2 my weight in Chinese take-out tonight and having my own buffet!! (hey it's an improvement, normally I would order my weight!!) I love Chinese veggie dishes, but I plan to order what I want, enjoy it, and drink boatloads of water to offset the sodium.

Side note... I am always amused when ordering Chinese take-out that is going to be for 1 or 2 people and they put like 8 fortune cookies in the bag (or box).... Hello, are ya telling me I am ordering enough food for 8 people??? Yeah I probably am but hey it is a once a year indulgence.... (It will take me a year to work it off lol!!!) Happy New Year and enjoy!!
  • ceciliabluesky
    Options
    good question!!
    I faced a similar dilemma last night. We went into a Chinese restaurant and everyone ordered big dishes. I chose mixed veges with bean curd, which actually turned out to be super delicious! I am glad at the end that I stuck to my principles and didn't have to say "I no this is not good for me, but..."
    so rule of thumb: small portions of everything, try to have fish, veges, tofu; stay away from fries, pork, rice and noodles
    also if u can, u could add spice into your food as chilly stimulates your metabolism and help u burn fat =)
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Fish only and salad greens everything else has sugary sauce, or way to much sodium - unsweetened hot tea - green preferrably.
  • Classicbdw
    Classicbdw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Enjoy,

None of it is really good for you but it tastes soooo good
  • charisxena
    Options
    Thank you for your help guys!
    I've planned to eat some chicken and mushroom soup, boiled rice and some vegetable curry.

Thanks once again,
    Charis