Quick low carb breakfast options!

Options
Morning MFP!

So I've been desperately trying to eat a low carb diet this week and it has been going really well! I've lost 2.8lbs in my first week eating under 100g of carbs a day. I am also on vacation, so it's easy to make eggs and turkey sausage for breakfast everyday. Does anyone have any quick and easy suggestions for what to eat on a regular morning when I'm working or heading to the gym before work? I was thinking apple slices with a tbs of peanut butter, but I doubt that will keep me full.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Make sausage ahead of time. Keep it in the fridge, or warm it up in the microwave. I like it cold, myself.

You can also scramble eggs in the microwave, although someone else will have to chime in on how to do that -- I don't own a microwave, so I don't know.

Boil a dozen eggs ahead of time and keep in the fridge. In the morning, just peel and eat. Easy peasy.
  • KimberlyWIOG
    Options
    Thank you!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Make sausage ahead of time. Keep it in the fridge, or warm it up in the microwave. I like it cold, myself.

You can also scramble eggs in the microwave, although someone else will have to chime in on how to do that -- I don't own a microwave, so I don't know.

Boil a dozen eggs ahead of time and keep in the fridge. In the morning, just peel and eat. Easy peasy.

My husband has been doing this. He buys sausage links, removes the casing, and bakes a cookie sheet at a time. He stores most in the freezer - they separate quite easily. He also does the dozen hard boiled eggs at a time. Just make sure you mark them well - my daughter got a real surprise the other day when she went to make a poached egg!
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites - a thin slice of turkey or ham, spread with cheese, hummus, or guacamole, and rolled up. I sometimes add a carrot or slice of bell pepper before rolling up. Another even quicker one is to roll a piece of string cheese in a thin slice of meat. I also like 1/2 an avocado with a dollop of hummus in it.
  • KimberlyWIOG
    Options
    Thank you! I love the roll up ideas for breakfast!
  • abeerobeid
    abeerobeid Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    am nt trying to be mean by this reply btw :P
    just a quick advice... try not to go on a low carb diet... u have to have at least 100 g of Carbs a day... it is better for ur health... i can go on with all the health stuff if u need cz trust me i dont mind :) I am studying Nutrition and those topics are one of what i am examined in :)
    if u eat less than 100 g a day, then ur body one day will make its energy from the body protein instead of the carbs... Carbs and lipids are made for the energy .. that is true... but when u excercice for example or when u need quick energy then fat cannot give u that energy... for that ur body goes to what is called" Glucogenesis"
    I am really sry if i was mean with my reply or anything :$ just if u want a low carb diet then go for at least 100 g per day :)
  • KimberlyWIOG
    Options
    You were not rude at all! I really appreciate you suggestions. :)
  • stephenson6
    Options
    Hi,

What about plain greek yogurt? 1 cup (8 oz) has about 9 carbs. You can add some fresh fruit, like 5oz of strawberries. It is only another 11 carbs depending on how low carb you want to go. Adding fresh/frozen fruit is much better than the sugar-ridden fruit greek yogurt.

As for needing a minimum of 100 carbs per day, I will tell you what I have found. I am not a dietician or nutritionalist, but I follow the advice and plan of registered dietician and certified diabetes instructor. About 50% of the population, have an alternative metabolism, rooted in insulin resistance, and over-release the fat gain hormone, insulin. Unless they rest their pancreas and stop the over-releasing of insulin, no diet will work for them and they will gain weight. By resting your pancreas for a short 8 weeks and eliminating most, but not all carbs, you can lose weight and re-train your pancreas to release the proper amount of insulin. After that initial 8 weeks, you systemically add in gentle carbs back in and still lose weight. I've lost over 45 pounds of FAT since May 2011. Since I joined MFP in July, I've lost over 20 pounds of FAT.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    As for needing a minimum of 100 carbs per day, I will tell you what I have found. I am not a dietician or nutritionalist, but I follow the advice and plan of registered dietician and certified diabetes instructor. About 50% of the population, have an alternative metabolism, rooted in insulin resistance, and over-release the fat gain hormone, insulin. Unless they rest their pancreas and stop the over-releasing of insulin, no diet will work for them and they will gain weight. By resting your pancreas for a short 8 weeks and eliminating most, but not all carbs, you can lose weight and re-train your pancreas to release the proper amount of insulin. After that initial 8 weeks, you systemically add in gentle carbs back in and still lose weight. I've lost over 45 pounds of FAT since May 2011. Since I joined MFP in July, I've lost over 20 pounds of FAT.

AGREE 100%!! The "healthy" diet with 100 grams of carbs does not work for those of us that are insulin resistant. I have tried the "balanced" diet for many years while exercising, and no weight loss.

I have only been on low carb for 3 weeks, but already seeing weight loss and more importantly inches lost on my middle!!

I wish everyone would read "Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It" by Gary Traube. It shows the science and statistics around conventional dieting as compared to low carb dieting. Low Carb is not for everyone -- but for those that cannot lose weight despite honest calorie logging and exercise, it is the best alternative. It does not damage our body as long as we give it fat to burn. Low Carb/Low Fat is dangerous.