Protein!!!

Options
Any one have any protein suggestions for someone who only eats meat every other day? I do protein shakes on occasion, but heard its not good to do a lot while breastfeeding...or at least thats what it says on the container.

Replies

• codyyde
    Options
    Nuts or Quinoa?
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Here are my goto things
    Greek yogurt
    Fish
    Think thin bars
    Protein shakes
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt, pulses, and even whole grain bread.
  • Michael_23
    Options
    cottage cheese
    egg whites
  • cnick21
    cnick21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my go-to for protein is mostly peanut butter. before every workout i'll have a slice of wheat toast with peanut butter, and it has been helping me tremendously.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My Go to proteins
    Red Lentils
    Whey protein Powder
    Fish
    Edamame
    Cottage Cheese
    Almond Butter
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    quinoa!!!!
  • Gharley64
    Gharley64 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Im all about egg whites. lean grilled beef, tuna and white turkey meat.

I LOVE meat, so following Dukan as well has been easy
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    if you buy just the regular whey protein without extra stuff in it - it is safe for pregnant and nursing moms.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    My go-to protein sources are:
    eggs, almonds, cheese, beans

Usually I head for meat of some sort though whether is be chicken, beef, fish or on occasion pork.

May I ask why every other day?
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love hummus and always keep some freshly made in the fridge. It's great on anything!
  • terra_angelica
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice! I completely forgot about Quinoa!!!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I second (or 3rd) quinoa. 2 faves with quinoa:
    Treat it like oatmeal for breakfast-- cinnamon, nuts, raisins, yum.
    For dinner, add lemon juice, walnuts, edamame (more protein!), and olive oil. (sometimes + sun dried tomato, but not necessary)-- so good!
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt and eggs (or just whites if fat's an issue). I am a milk fan also but that is controversial around these parts, lately.

I suspect the nursing mother warning on the can is strictly a matter of CYA. But if it's got creatine or something else in it, then maybe.
  • IHeartNewMe
    IHeartNewMe Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten tired of Egg Beaters. I usually have an EB omelet in the morning and sometimes for dinner. It is so filling with staying power. One variation is to about a 1 cup omelet, add 2 oz. of sliced ground turkey burger and a squirt of dijon mustard and reduced sugar ketchup in the pan and flip, then add a piece of low fat cheese melting on top after it's done. So filling, that could be 2 servings, but 1 if really hungry. Another variation: To a 3/4 cup omelet, after flipping it, add about 2 T. fat free greek yogurt with 1/2 pc. of low fat cheese in the middle and a dash of Frank's Buffalo Wing sauce. Now that's good eating!!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I also really like cottage cheese mixed with sardines. I suspect that is controversial-- in terms of taste preferences-- but I like the taste and it's very hearty.