Long distance runners - how do you fuel your runs?

Options
Okay so I know everyone works a little differently. I usually don't eat at all before a run, even on my longer runs, but now that I'm getting up there in mileage I want to start experimenting a little. I also know that I'm going to need something on the day of my marathon so I want to figure out what's going to work best for me now, and not try something new the day of the race. I'm just wondering how you fuel and maybe I will get some ideas of what I want to try. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Replies

• ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I typically eat something light prior to my run (usually either two SMALL pieces of toast with syrup or peanut butter - i.e. Weight Watcher's brand, which are much smaller than typical slices of bread!), or 2 waffles.

DURING my run, I've found the best gel for me is PowerBar brand (I LOVE the Double Latte flavour because it has 50 mg of caffeine, which provides a much needed kick)....I also use the caffeine-free chocolate flavour on shorter training runs (21 km or so)....

I've found that for myself, taking a gel every 6 km is the formula that works the best, but you definintely need to experiment to see what works for you!

Hopefully that helps!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I typically eat something light prior to my run (usually either two SMALL pieces of toast with syrup or peanut butter - i.e. Weight Watcher's brand, which are much smaller than typical slices of bread!), or 2 waffles.

DURING my run, I've found the best gel for me is PowerBar brand (I LOVE the Double Latte flavour because it has 50 mg of caffeine, which provides a much needed kick)....I also use the caffeine-free chocolate flavour on shorter training runs (21 km or so)....

I've found that for myself, taking a gel every 6 km is the formula that works the best, but you definintely need to experiment to see what works for you!

Hopefully that helps!

I think I may try that one... the caffeine may be something I find very useful when I get closer to the 20 mile mark LOL
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If I'm going more than 10k, I'll have a Promax bar about 30 minutes before (cookie dough flavor), Gu gels (vanilla) every 30 minutes and I drink a 22 ounce bottle of Gu or Vitalyte (2 scoops per bottle) at about 1 bottle per hour. Sometimes I'll eat the gummi chews, but I'm always afraid I'm going to choke on one. :noway:

I'm going to be experimenting with this a lot this summer in preparation for 1/2 Ironman - need to figure out how to take in enough calories during bike ride to sustain run leg.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm an empty stomach/early morning runner & racer.

I just stick with gels for the most part. These days I use Clif Bloks - I like that they are easy to carry in my pocket. I also like that I eat one or two (unlike a gel where you kind of need to eat the whole thing).

Try different brands and flavors and see what you like (it really is a personal preference thing). I sweat pretty good, so I use the margarita flavor with extra sodium. I also will eat the cherry flavor with caffeine.

Be sure to take gels with water, not sports drinks.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I run on an empty stomach but I find that at about 8 miles or more I get really hungry. I think you have to experiment and find what works for you. Some people's tummies are more sensitive than others as to what they eat and how soon they eat before a long run.

My go-to "pre long run or pre-race" meal is about an hour to 90 minutes before I run and it's a slice of wheat toast with some peanut butter and sprinkled with chia seeds on top, a banana and a half glass of skim milk.

I have a terrible time with eating anything during a run. I've run 4 full marathons, my first 2 I tried to eat and it made my stomach feel awful. The last two I haven't eaten anything, just drank Gatorade or Powerade during the races.
  • Kluthyy
    Kluthyy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also have to run on a relatively empty stomach. I usually have something small before every workout. However if I know I am going to be doing a long run, typically more than 7 miles, I'll have a bit more. BANANAS are my go to pre-run food...And LOTS of water.....that is a MUST for me. But I definitely reccommend potassium rich foods because we lose through potassium by sweating, and secondly, potassium helps regulate muscle contraction and prevents cramping. They are also easily digestible and a good source of carbs.I've never personally been big on gels- I only stick to water during runs- but I know a lot of runners who swear by them to make it through a race.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've done long runs on empty stomachs and after having a cliff bar about 90 mins prior. I'm gonna try more experimenting on the empty stomach.

On my runs I use the Gu vanilla, or any flavor of the powerade gels. I bought a random assortment of gels to try for this years training.

I also think taking a gel at shorter intervals than they say helps me out much more.
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For both half marathons, I ate a bagel with peanut butter early in the morning and that did wonders for me. I tried the chews... Cliff blocks, power bar ones.... But they really messed up my stomach. The stingers have been the best for me. I am afraid the gels will also bother my stomach.

I need something before I run 6 miles. I must be a wuss!!!!! Lol.... I usually have a piece of fruit. I only drink water. Only at the water stops at the half marathons did I ever drink gatorade....
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • runwithmike
    Options
    My long runs are in the morning, so I drink 16 oz. of water and eat a bowl of oatmeal. If it is over 10 miles, I bring a small energy bar to munch on.
  • Lp80
    Lp80 Posts: 29
    Options
    I can't run on an empty stomach so I always have toast and porridge a couple of hours before my run. When I start ramping up the mileage I have a bottle of lucozade sport every hr and on 20 mile runs I sometimes have some haribo sweets or jelly babies as a pick me up every now and again :)
  • mackenzg
    mackenzg Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For my full marathons, I always ate oatmeal about an hour and a half before the run. Then I did a Gu Chocolate (with caffeine) every 45 minutes. I get side stitches, so I always be sure to do a Gu that often..most people dont need them that much. I've also done a promax bar before, or a smoothie. GOOD LUCK!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I am a breakfast person so I need my bowl of frosted mini-wheats every day... and always about an hour before I run (if it's morning). On runs up to 6-7 miles I don't carry anything and do ok even though I'm really hungry right after (post-run banana or something works until I can have lunch) On longer runs I carry water or Gatorade (if it's really hot) and so far my favorite carbs to carry are the Jelly Belly Sport Beans. I take about 4 of them every 4 miles or so, sometimes more if I'm starting to feel tired. I've only run one half marathon so far so I too will be experimenting a lot this year as I ramp up my training for several races over 13 miles. Possibly even doing a marathon this year so I'll be trying all sorts of new fuel!

Oh, the best thing about a bowl of cereal for me is that about an hour after I need to use the potty... then I know I'm ready to go!! I know that's probably TMI for some, but runners tend to keep it real about the no-so-glamorous side of running, right????
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I always eat prior to a run whether it's 3 miles or 13.1. Typically I have toast and peanut butter with some kind of fruit - half a banana, peach, or apple. Today I had oatmeal with strawberries before my 10 miles.

I drink water and Powerade/Gatorade on long runs - especially in hot weather. Since it was cold today, I just took 10oz of water and had some left.

I almost always take advantage of what's offered during races. Usually there's something offered around mile 10 of a half marathon/marathon. I take the gu or gummy things. I notice a difference with them.

I suggest you try a few things before race day. When I was training for my full marathon, I stayed pretty close home by doing loops. I swung by and had half a PB sandwich on my 20 miler. I wanted to stay somewhat close to home in the event ***clears throat*** something didn't agree with my system. 'Cuz that's just no fun.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Before my long workouts/races I have a ritual. Because I am naturally prone to cramping in my calves I try to load up on potassium early in the morning. Yogurt, banana and a waffle with almond butter and coffee.

Depending on the length of the run... lets say my 16 miler... every 4 miles I'll have 1/2 a gel and 8 oz of nuun. Water every mile.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    bump- interested to know how we do this! so far i've done a few halves and haven't used anything other than water. and i run on an empty stomach!