Kill the cravings

Options
Whats a good way to kill hunger cravings? Between 8 and midnight i just get intensely hungry and just want to snack on everything! Especially sweets and pop. Does drinking alot of water actually help?

Replies

• LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone, but here are things I try:
    -brushing my teeth
    -drinking a couple glasses of water
    -if I'm genuinely hungry, I have a small bowl of a very lightly sweet cereal (something with a lot of fiber and protein)

those are my tricks. Hope it helps.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone, but here are things I try:
    -brushing my teeth
    -drinking a couple glasses of water
    -if I'm genuinely hungry, I have a small bowl of a very lightly sweet cereal (something with a lot of fiber and protein)

those are my tricks. Hope it helps.

yup cereal for me as well haha
  • cameralinds
    Options
    Go to bed. Number one answer. Unless that's your most productive time.

I know for myself personally, if I have a craving, I just eat a tiny portion of whatever I am craving. I've learned that eating around my craving does not help. For instance, if I wanted a serving of potato chips, I would eat almonds, crackers, fruit, and at the end of the scenario, I end up eating them anyway. Lack of willpower, if you will. I've learned just to let myself have a little because in the end, I spare myself a lot. (A lot of extra calories).
  • Kicktush
    Options
    I second the 'go to bed' comment. I go upstairs or get as far away from the kitchen as possible and try to keep myself productive by reading a book/folding laundry/cleaning until I finally feel it's late enough to go to sleep.
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    Brushing teeth...
    Distracting yourself with activities...
    Drink water...
    Eat little snacks like carrot sticks and celery sticks...
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Tootsie Roll Pop. It lasts forever (don't bite it), satisfies the sweet craving, and is only 60 calories.
  • betterin2012
    Options
    I like the tootsie pop idea! I'm just afraid if I bought a bag into the house right now.....I'd eat the whole bag. Maybe once i've been w/MFP a little longer.
  • lacyrae88
    Options
    Go to bed. Number one answer. Unless that's your most productive time.

I know for myself personally, if I have a craving, I just eat a tiny portion of whatever I am craving. I've learned that eating around my craving does not help. For instance, if I wanted a serving of potato chips, I would eat almonds, crackers, fruit, and at the end of the scenario, I end up eating them anyway. Lack of willpower, if you will. I've learned just to let myself have a little because in the end, I spare myself a lot. (A lot of extra calories).

See I could do that some nights, but when i work im there till either 10 or 12:30. And I dont have much willpower right now so i would start with one stick of a Kit Kat, then eat the whole thing. lol But ill try drinking water and brushing my teeth. I've never heard of the brushing your teeth thing before.
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do 1 slice of Whitewheat bread with 1 tbsp Peanut Butter. Wash down with either water or 1/2 glass of milk. It swells and I'm goof for then.
  • Marzipans11
    Marzipans11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bread and PB is a great idea-- a little protein, a little carb. If you want to cut as many calories as possible, Sara Lee has a 45-calorie bread that's pretty good. I'm not sure if it's lower calories (105 a tablespoon), but I really like Adam's no-stir peanut butter because it has no sugar in it.
  • lindsaymo34
    Options
    I have this same problem, but for the past few days I've resisted. I would always eat most of my calories after 5 pm, but do well prior to this. I found really sitting down and thinking about the cause of the cravings really helped. You could even get a journal and record what is going through your mind when you get a craving. Are you bored? Are you really hungry? Are you stressed? Depressed? Upset? Etc? Getting to the root cause of your cravings could really help break the habit. If you are actually hungry, try drinking a glass of cold water. Wait 20-30 minutes, which is generally the amount of time it takes for a craving to subside. If you're still hungry, choose a snack with a good amount of fiber and protein, which will help fill you up. For me, I found I wasn't really hungry at all, but sitting in front of the TV and eating sort of became a habit or ritual. Once I realized this, i was able to recognize it and resist the temptation.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Somewhere sometime I read that hunger is often mistaken THIRST. So I try and drink water and wait a few minutes to see what happens.

I just started knitting, and despite the teasing from my boyfriend, it helps me not snack since I'd get the yarn dirty.

We buy edamame packs and I pop one in the microwave for 3 minutes when I need to chew. A whole bad is 140 calories and takes a while to eat since they're in the pod.

I also eat frozen berries when I'm really craving sweets. I love the Cherry Berry Blend from Trader Joe's.

This is my problem, too. I do great all day and then lose my mind at night.
  • Pokorny63
    Options
    fruit would be a good craving killer for sweets and propel water as well, it will help fill you up and kill the sweet craving
  • Spinach_Brigade
    Options
    I might recommend trying to tackle the train of thought rather than its symptoms. If you're not thinking about being hungry, you're not. I know that sounds a bit trite. "Distraction" is probably not the best term because of negative connotations, but the essence is there: if you try to get your mind onto/into something else you'll forget hunger pangs.
  • ohnogogo
    ohnogogo Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This might be helpful. Hopefully the graphic is not too big.

Looks like it is getting cut down on the side. Here is the link to the original:
    http://nutritiouslife12.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/untitled-2.jpg

untitled-2.jpg