Options
I'm thinking about running a 5K a goal for 2012. Has anyone done the couch to 5K program? If so, has your desire to run increased? I'm not a big fan of running, but I want to run, if that makes sense. And I will probably have to use a treadmill for a part of the training while the weather is crummy. Are there any tricks to making the treadmill quieter when jogging/running? The loudness, or how loud I perceive it to be, is a real turn off. :/

Replies

• ladypirate70
    ladypirate70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started running last year by using Couch to 5k. It really breaks it down into manageable amounts of running. It pushes you slowly so that you don't injure yourself. Running on a treadmill is so much different than running outside. I hate the cold but I love the nature sounds and the solitude. The only way I have found to make it quieter is by concentrating on striking your foot on the midfoot instead of on the heel. I just turn my radio up louder. Good luck, have fun and don't forget to stretch after to have warmed up a bit!
  • Footpower
    Options
    On the treadmill I need music piped into my ears. with earbuds.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I will finish a couch to 5k-like-program tomorrow. I never liked running before but gave this a try and now I really enjoy it. I'm actually running farther than 5k at a time. Yesterday was a 30 minute run and I ran 3.6 miles. I'm considering doing a 10K training program next.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I started with that program a year ago. The first couple months are hard but then you find your groove and your love for running. Power through and I promise it will grow on you!
  • BrittanieGo
    BrittanieGo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I HATED running, and I could barely run really. But I signed up for a 5k, last Jan. Since then I have done about 8 more. running is kind of boring for me, but races are way more fun, and it makes the training more fun. I started with the C25K program but follow a different one, similar concept though
  • AShell97
    Options
    I was not a runner. Plain and simple. But I downloaded C25K and tried it. I had to repeat a few of the weeks. But, October 2 I ran my first 5k. I RAN THE WHOLE THING! I didn't stop, I didn't come in last.

It's an awesome program. It really really works!
  • grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Just finished w2d3 of C25K...love it so far. I injured my knee so had to back off from workouts even though i got up to running a mile just pushing myself. I started at week 2 and haven't had any problems. Also I only do a 2 minute warmup but think in week 3 I will be doing the 5 minute warmup as advised :) It is great, my knee hasn't resisted yet. I like the fact it is training me to do a 5k and beyond. Building back up without injury is a plus. Follow the advice on their site! Best of luck! I am powering through so I can successfully run a 5k soon!
  • grantsmom08
    Options
    you guys are also inspiring me with your success stories. especially the ones saying they ran their whole first race! :)
  • grantsmom08
    Options
    Oh and I use a treadmill at home, I just turn the music up loud and focus on it and not the sound of the treadmill :)
    Sorry for multiple posts!
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a great program. I would urge you to get outside to run whenever you can. I don't know how cold it gets where you are, but I have run in 19F and didn't mind it a bit. You just have to layer and dress for it. Now...if there is snow/ice, that's a different story. I won't go out if the footing is not good. I had a running coach tell me that the treadmill is murder on your knees, which I didn't know, but it's certainly better than not working out at all, as long as you don't get knee pain(I did). Good luck!
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I worked through the C25K program this past summer, ending it with my first 5K on Sept 25. Since then, I have really learned to LOVE running, and have ran two 10K runs (not races) recently. I don't have a treadmill, and have become so diehard, that with the recent snow we finally got here in Canada, I have become completely pissed that it is screwing up my running schedule. My husband bought me spikes for my shoes yesterday and I tried them out this morning. They work like a charm, and I will now be running outside through the winter (complete with the sweat freezing to my face and hair).

So, in answer to your question, yes, the C25K program got me started and totally got me hooked on running. My goal is to finish a 10K race next summer, and I have signed up for the Warrior Dash next July.
  • justaxletdown
    Options
    I just started the program, doing my third workout of week 1 tomorrow! I like it so far, it's pushing me but not too much that I feel like I'm dying,. I would also advise you to run outside if possible... My brother runs a lot and told me that there is a BIG difference between running on a treadmill and running outside. He said that if I tried to do it on a treadmill and tried to just carry on outside it'd be like starting over... But definitely try it out, I've heard nothing but great things and I like it so far! You can eve add me if you do and we could chat about it :)
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    I did C25K in March of 2011. I have since run six 5K races and an 8K and gotten my time down 3 min to a 22:06! It is the best thing out there!

You just need to push yourself even when it gets hard.... YOU CAN DO IT!