Question for stay at home parents?

Options
Not really to do with weight loss

I love working out and I love the fact that my soon to be three yr old walks with me and chats along the way (we walk 1 1/2 hours a day usually) she never complains but I feel like I am letting her down she supports me and I would like to give her something back in return, she starts pre school this sept and she doesn't go to nursery of any sort I provide the only stimulation she gets and I don't think I am doing a good job on that side of things.

I am just wondering if anybody would like to share what activities they do with their little ones something not too messy my youngest is only 19mnths and she can really make a mess and she won't be left out, but something interesting.

When the weather is good we play outside and I can't wait for better weather because we have a climbing frame with slide and swing plus a large trampoline in our back garden but I get stuck about what to entertain them indoors we bake cupcakes once a week she does colouring every now and again we don't paint because she gets it everywhere.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recd.

Thx Vicky

Replies

• vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Not really to do with weight loss

I love working out and I love the fact that my soon to be three yr old walks with me and chats along the way (we walk 1 1/2 hours a day usually) she never complains but I feel like I am letting her down she supports me and I would like to give her something back in return, she starts pre school this sept and she doesn't go to nursery of any sort I provide the only stimulation she gets and I don't think I am doing a good job on that side of things.

I am just wondering if anybody would like to share what activities they do with their little ones something not too messy my youngest is only 19mnths and she can really make a mess and she won't be left out, but something interesting.

When the weather is good we play outside and I can't wait for better weather because we have a climbing frame with slide and swing plus a large trampoline in our back garden but I get stuck about what to entertain them indoors we bake cupcakes once a week she does colouring every now and again we don't paint because she gets it everywhere.

Any suggestions would be gratefully recd.

Thx Vicky
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Your daughter might like water colour paints - if you sit with her and guide her painting it shouldn't get too messy (I do it with my 3 yr old BOY - and 13 mo girl, and my son can be a wild one!).

You could also do a craft time each day. We have a set routine for the day, and we always do crafts before lunch (then he knows that clean up preceeds lunch, with preceeds nap). The routine is also helpful for getting ready for the routines associated with school.

If you collect a bunch of left over items (beads, buttons, fabric, etc) and do some glueing and collaging I bet your daughter would love it. Start with paper plates, cups, etc and you can make hats, crowns, etc. Then the following day, you could do some drama activites with them.

Once the weather is nice, you could do picnics. My son LOVES this. When the weather is good, we load up the wagon with our lunch, and a big blanket, and head to the park for lunch. It is a great time!

I hope that's the sort of thing you were asking for! Enjoy your time with your little ones!
    :flowerforyou:
  • graypink0130
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I used to be one and I remember playing dress up or playing "bank" or "classroom" with my mom was always fun. I always enjoyed using my imagination as a child and I am sure other kids are the same way.:happy:
  • crystalicfusion
    Options
    Well, my kids like play dough and board games. And I think more than anything they LOVE playing hide n seek.
  • Shelladam
    Options
    I'm a primary teacher with a 3 year old son. Never forget the trusty internet. There are so many things on there to Google. Easter is a good one at the moment (religious preferences permitting!). Just make sure you include the word children or toddler in your search. Most of the brand names - Barbie, Wiggles, Thomas the Tank Engine, Clifford the Big Red Dog have their own websites with printable materials (colouring in sheets) and craft ideas. Scholastic is another good website. Play Doh is another especially if you make it first. Although I have to say nothing entertains my little boy more than following me around "helping".
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My 2 year old loves to color, I also read a lot of books to her. Candy land is a good game for them to start learning colors and I try to count everything so she understands although so far she only says one. When we clean up toys we try to make it a game and she likes copying what I do. Sometimes I let her watch tv but it is only sesame street ,blues clues, or the big comfy couch and I try to make it and interactive thing instead of just a babysitter. We sing along, she does the clock rug stretch(comfy couch) and we dance. I think every mom thinks they are dropping the ball sometimes, but you can't be super mom every minute of the day. Your daughter already has interaction with the 19 month old too so that will make it easier to relate to other children. My 2 girls love playing with each other!!
  • AndreaMMil
    AndreaMMil Posts: 165
    Options
    my kids like big empty boxes. also, there are some really inexpensive "forts" you can buy from cranium. i got mine for $6. it's really a tent but is designed so the kids take it apart and build there own kind of tent. it's great inside when the weather is bad. a zoo membership is also a great idea. for $80 a year the whole family can go and get in free. we've been a million times. also, crayola make really cool markers that only work on the paper they come with. so messes aren't possible! good luck, summer's comin'!!!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have an almost-4 yr old and an almost 1-year old. We play a lot of imagination games with his action figures and animals. We use blocks to build towers and buildings. Then we pretend the baby is a monster when he comes crashing through. Play-do is awesome as is the craft time someone else mentioned. Make puppets out of lunch sacks or socks and put on a show. I have to agree with the big box too - we got a new microwave and both kids played with that box for months. It was a pirate ship, a jet-ski, you name it. We also love dress up. If you are taking your kids on long walks everyday, that is awesome! Don't feel like you have to fill every minute for them - it is very, very beneficial for them to have time to come up with their own entertainment and games; this builds the imagination. I am a teacher, now part-time, and it is amazing how many kids have no idea what to do when given free time. I too can't wait until it warms up so we can go outside. My oldest is actually praying every day for God to make it summer so he can go barefoot!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    Right now I am working on an abc book with my 4 and 2 year old. Twice a week we work on a page.
    I take a construction paper and at the top write...A is for and then we paint, draw, color, cut, glitter glue, or whatever an object and paste it on the page. Or even put real pictures on a family member's letter page.
    While they are working we talk about what sound that letter makes. Even my 2 year old loves it and her pictures are sometimes the best. When we are done we will bind it together and it will be our quiet book for during church or sometime when I need to occupy them. It's their own art and they love it.

We are also a huge fan of homemade playdough. We like the one with koolaid because it smells so good.

Good Luck!! Heidi
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I used to operate a home day care for toddlers and worked at a preschool as a teacher, so I do have some suggestions.

Ifyou have the space, you can set up different areas. At school we had shelves with puzzles and games, one for playdoh (make your own--cooked is best--and use a place mat to define space), one for art, one for science and math, a sensory table, blocks, library, dramatic play, music and outside time. If you don't have a big space, use a shelf with containers that can be labeled with items that go into it . Fill the containers ahead of time and store them out of reach and rotate them when you child gets bored. Put a table nearby to work on. For little ones, less is better. My kids loved dramatic play. Pick a theme and add things related to that theme into a box for play acting. Add some books related to the subject and you are enhancing the experience. Sensory is great--sand, beans, water, cornmeal, gak, etc. Kids love it. My daughter played in water in the sink every night while I cooked dinner. You will find a million ideas on the internet, and see if you can visit a Head Start program in your area to get an idea of how to set up space. If not, find another preschool that wouldn't mind you observing for a while, or ask for an interview with one of the teachers.
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    I am a SAHM of a 4 1/2 year old and a 12 year old. With my 12 year old I didnt get to stay at home. I had to work full time .WIth my 4 1/2 year old I was able to quit my job when he was almost 3. We love going to the zoo which is something a previous person mentioned. I have Grandma and Grandpa get a zoo membership for us each year instead of buying the kids a bunch of toys. Then we can go and see just the animals that he wants to and not feel like we must stay all day long! Another thing to check into is your local community center. Alot of times they will have inexpensive classes that last 4-6 weeks and are usually 1 or 2 days out of the week. It would give her a chance to interact with other kids just a little before heading off to preschool. We have done everything from Messy Art to Silly dancing. Lots of fun!

Hope this helps out! And dont feel like you have to have her busy 24-7, real life doesnt keep us occupied all the time!:happy:
  • tjblack
    tjblack Posts: 122
    Options
    I have a home day care, and a lot of ideas!

Kids love sensory. (watch little one with this, but they like it also) If you have a dishpan or other shallow pan, put on floor with a few towels under it. Put one of the following in it
    *snow
    *water with ice
    *shaving cream
    *popcorn
    *pasta
    *clean mud (ivory soap shredded, 1 roll toilet paper shredded, warm water to mix)
    *beans
    Put in a few spoons/scoops/cups etc. and kids love it.

for printable color sheets/work sheets and general ideas go to http://www.netrox.net/~labush/colrpres.htm
    I get a lot of ideas from this site. it's great!

dancing is a great pass time or make your own music with pots and pans and have a parade.
    throw some sheets over some chairs and make a tent

good luck and have fun!!!

If your worried about a mess with paints, put them in the tub and finger paints and let them go. Then when they are done. You will wash the tub as you give them a bath!
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Wow some gr8 ideas thank you so much to everyone who took the time I am soooo grateful.

I will certainly be going shopping this weekend I like the crafty ideas I think my daughter will too. I have just found all my sons playdoe hardly used and still good.

Today is nice so I think we are going to go to the duck park with some bread.

Thank you again.

Vicky:heart::heart: :heart: