Bread

Options
What is a healthy bread that one can eat with say penutbutter, or tuna salad?

Replies

• FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A better choice with your bread may be turkey, lettuce and tomato, toasted or untoasted 100% wheat bread, with a very lite spread of Hellman's lite mayo (can be any kind you like). Peanut butter is a good food but it is high fat so you have to be careful with that. Tuna sandwiches are usually mixed with too much mayo unless you have a special way you do it. If you include lettuce and tomato in preparing a sandwich you will be more satisfied and be getting fresh vegetables too. The 100% wheat breads can vary in calories so check the labels. Low calorie isn't always the best choice, you need to eat to satisfy your appetite, and include an apple or other piece of fruit and a large glass of water with your lunch. Good luck with your progam.fg
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee Wheat or Multigrain 45 & Delighful; flatout light; joseph's flax pita are all low cal and low carb options.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain breads. 100 calories a slice, but 4 grams of fiber per slice, which is nice.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Choose 100% whole wheat bread. I disagree with FG, I'd skip the mayo and use avocado or hummus instead (mmm...turkey and hummus, yummy!) Mayo in any form is not good for you despite however much I wish it were. You could also use whole wheat wraps instead of bread if you like. In terms of peanut butter, you could look for the "natural" kinds where the oil floats on top. That way you can poor off the oil, thereby reducing the fat content of the spread. Good luck!
  • chrisc16
    Options
    Natures Own whole wheat. It's 50 calories per slice and low in sugar and sodium.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee Multigrain 45 & Delighful
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Brownberry health nut bread (80 calories a slice) and pepperidge farm cinnamon swirl bread (also 80 calories a slice, good with PB but probably not tuna lol) are my two go to breads for my morning toast and Peanut butter. The Brownberry bread are huge slices and lately I have opted for there Honey Whole wheat bread (lil more calories 100 but it is really good)
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    One more thing, use a darker lettuce, like romaine, or even spinach, instead of a light lettuce like iceberg.
  • KouklaTheo
    Options
    I balance out my calories well with Joseph's 100% whole wheat pita bread (220 per loaf). I use a half loaf for a sandwich ( 120 cal). I make bumblebee 5 oz white tuna in water drained w/ 1 Tbs Low Fat Hellman's mayo ( not no-fat, too yucky) I mash it really well so it's very moist for another 180 cals. I add chopped celery to the mix and slice ripe cherry tomatoes. (Total Sandwich = 300 Cals). I also like to fill 1/2 pocket with 3 or 4 oz Applegate Farms Organic Turkey breast, into the middle of which I mash 1/2 ripe banana for moisture. I never was big on mayo and still aren't so no mayo with the banana. I also like Whole Foods 360 Touch of Honey Organic Whole Wheat at 100 cals a slice, but only one slice for under a poached egg in the AM. I don't use them for a sandwich because I save 80 cals with the Joseph's whole wheat pita bread. IThe Touch of Honey is sweet enough so I sometimes am happy to snack on a slice with a little Olivio light if I have a few extra cals to spare at the end of the day.
  • Kaison02
    Options
    These are all Great Ideas. What is the average cost on these breads. I am on a limited budget because I cannot eat what everyone buys in the house and they are not courtious enough to help me with my food choices.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins. They are only 100 calories for an entire roll and are great for sandwiches. Not too bready.
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee Wheat or Multigrain 45 & Delighful; flatout light; joseph's flax pita are all low cal and low carb options.

I use the 45 Calorie So Delightful 100% Whole wheat with honey. It is nice to get 2 slices for the same calories and carbs as a normal slice since I only eat one serving of carbs at lunch it was hard to eat a half a sandwich.
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    They all pretty much run between 2.35 and 3.50 a loaf
  • kemeko
    kemeko Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I personally like the Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain breads. 100 calories a slice, but 4 grams of fiber per slice, which is nice.

Yeah this ....to me it's worth the calories. It's great tasting and filling!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Choose 100% whole wheat bread. I disagree with FG, I'd skip the mayo and use avocado or hummus instead (mmm...turkey and hummus, yummy!) Mayo in any form is not good for you despite however much I wish it were. You could also use whole wheat wraps instead of bread if you like. In terms of peanut butter, you could look for the "natural" kinds where the oil floats on top. That way you can poor off the oil, thereby reducing the fat content of the spread. Good luck!

What's wrong with mayo? At it's most basic, it's eggs (very healthy for you) and oil (I use safflower oil, very high in monounsaturated, heart healthy fats.) It's not low calorie, but it's far from unhealthy.

And why would you want to get rid of the fat in peanut butter? Again, very heart healthy monounsaturated fats there. Fat is not bad for you, it's actually a very necessary component of a healthy diet.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Pepperidge Farm Light Style bread. Only 40-45 cal. a slice.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with mayo? At it's most basic, it's eggs (very healthy for you) and oil (I use safflower oil, very high in monounsaturated, heart healthy fats.) It's not low calorie, but it's far from unhealthy.

And why would you want to get rid of the fat in peanut butter? Again, very heart healthy monounsaturated fats there. Fat is not bad for you, it's actually a very necessary component of a healthy diet.

^ This is a great post.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel - usually in the frozen section.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think it is definitely worth the extra calories to get quite a grainy bread as they tend to be a lot more filling.

I personally like Burgen Soy Linseed (UK) but mostly because it seems to be the only one I can tolerate since I moved here (not sure what is different between the bread of here and Australia)! I used to love the ones with pumpkin seeds though, they get a lovely nutty flavour when you toast them.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I like rice cakes (gluten intolerant here), and homemade gluten free bread. If I remember correctly you're looking into low-carb, don't use wraps, most have higher carb content then normal bread.

I'd also suggest hummus instead of mayo, but that's just because I freaking love hummus.