Hitting a plateau every ten pounds!

Options
It seems it never fails. I lost ten pounds pretty fast, then hit a plateau. That stressed me out, but when I got past it, I lost another ten pounds in about the same amount of time as the time before. Now I've started drinking the recommended eight glasses a day, and drink equal to four of those glasses with in a half an hour. (This is to ensure that I actually drink them, otherwise I most likely wouldn't) Since I started that (yesterday), I GAINED two pounds. Is this temporary? Also, is anyone else having this problem? How do you deal with this?!

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    of course it's temporary. when are you weighing yourself? it should be first thing in the morning, after RR, before eating, naked. thats ideal. water has weight and if you drink loads of it without peeing it out then you'll weigh more.
  • MechanicalKid1
    Options
    Yeah, I weight myself every morning. I know what times of the day I weight more and how much more pretty well because I'm way overly obsessed with seeing how things are going. :P
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates, dont worry! add cheat days and add extra workouts to the same week, good luck!! :P
  • OnieBee
    OnieBee Posts: 67
    Options
    When I first started loosing weight It was just continual, until I hit the onederlands and then it became as you described... 10lbs loss followed by plateau (usually lasting 2-3 weeks) then 10lbs loss again. The important thing is that we are still heading in the right direction... down! Good luck and just stick to your goal.
  • ramon3
    ramon3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too would hit a plateau every ten pounds. after losing weight without mfp i was at 190 for a loooong time. once i started with mfp and the gym i eventually got down to 180 and plateaued and i was stuck for like a month or two and the same thing would happen every ten and now im at about 161. i usually will fluctuate 1-3 pounds when i do. many suggesteded increasing your caloric intake for a few days and i was afraid to do this for fear of gaining but it kind of "resets" your metabolism and your body thinks "i guess ill be getting this much now." so once you get back to cutting down, your body starts to take notice of the reduction again. also, if you work out just switch things up too. i only do cardio for the most part and so i will usually go a few days to 1 week without going to the gym to once again mix it up. im currently on my plateau again and it is my last plateau hopefully because my goal weight is 150 before trying strength training. since i hit it at the holidays ive been eating a lot more than what i normally do and a lot more sweets and "junk food" and guess what? im still in the same range i have been. so just mix things up and see!

In regards to water...if you drink a lot you will gain until your body releases it. a gallon of water is just about 8 or so pounds. so just think about that!