Eggs

Options
First off, sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I couldn't find one spot that really made sense to post this in so I just guessed.

For those of you who eat eggs, do you buy them from the grocery store or the farm? I've never bought them straight from the farm but I'm thinking I might try.

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've been buying organic eggs from the grocery store. Would like to buy from a farm though. Just haven't made it priority yet. I'd go for organic if you buy them from the store though, especially if they are a staple for you.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I usually buy mine from the store, but I have bought some fresh from a farm. You can't hard boil fresh eggs...it doesn't work real well.
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    the grocery store.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I get organic eggs from a farm so I can see for myself what the conditions are for the birds.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Fresh eggs from a farm taste so much better to me. They are hard to come by in my area, though, so I've been using Eggland's Best cage free brown eggs. Whenever I have a chance to get them fresh from someone's farm, I jump at it!

I have hard-boiled fresh eggs before and never had an issue. They can be hard to peel, but there are tips online to make it a bit easier.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Agreed, farm eggs are much tastier (and last heaps longer) they are also much more yellow in colour (the yolk).

I grew up on a farm, we only ever ate eggs from our chickens. You can hard boil farm fresh eggs - they are exactly the same as any other egg. They still come from chooks!!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    when i can i get them from a friend who has chickens. otherwise i buy organic certified humane eggs
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of my chickens...so back to buying store eggs. It's mostly my husband that eats them. Home grown eggs are so much better tasting. They aren't all running like store eggs. Yolks are bright and yellow. Makes yellow cakes more "yellow".

The reason it's hard to peel farm fresh eggs is just that...they are fresh. The best eggs for hard boiling and easy peeling are 7-10 days old. When an egg is fresh it is tight up against the shell, as they get older, they shrink so they aren't up against the shell and thats what makes them easier to peel.

Crud...now I want to get chickens again. lol I love hard-boiled eggs...well except for the yoke...here kitty kitty...Bently, my cat, loves egg yolk.
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I always purchase eggs from the farmers market. :) Just taste better that way!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I send a kid out to the chicken coop to get them. :)

ETA: I've hard boiled eggs that are still warm from the chicken with no peeling problems. Just get your water to a rapid boil first then slowly ladle the eggs in (don't let them drop in or they'll crack). Boil to your preference then put them immediately into an ice bath.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Farm! You gots to do it! Mass produced grocery store eggs, even the organic ones, are just so pale and flavorless compared to farm fresh eggs...
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    Just built the chicken coop! Getting the ladies soon. I hope!
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Farm when I can. Winter is more difficult to get them here it seems. But when the lady calls me with a dozen I buy them.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Normally I buy organic from the supermarket except from May-October when my local farmer's market has farm fresh eggs.
  • KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Your choice to buy free range or battery farmed eggs...my personal choice is free range happy hens (lucky I have a workmate with chickens so purchase from his brood :smile: )
  • danmoffett
    Options
    I live in an area with lots of Amish farmers. I buy eggs from the Amish. Walmart and Wholefoods sell free range eggs for $4 to $5 per dozen. The Amish farm I go to sells them for $2 per dozen. I buy about 10 dozen at a time.
    I would recommend farm fresh eggs. Make sure they are free range.
  • wannagetfit02
    wannagetfit02 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My brother and sister-in-law provide us with the best farm eggs. There chickens are treated like their children. They all have names. The were in there Christmas card this year and they made a calendar with them. The eggs are so much better than store bought.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I get organic eggs from a farm so I can see for myself what the conditions are for the birds.

I like my birds in a bbq condition, herbs are always nice as well but they all have to have crispy skin. :)
  • missfluffyuk
    Options

I like my birds in a bbq condition, herbs are always nice as well but they all have to have crispy skin. :)

You are my new hero. ^^)

As for where I get my eggs -- supermarket. No farms in my area, wouldn't know where to find one.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You are my new hero. ^^)

As for where I get my eggs -- supermarket. No farms in my area, wouldn't know where to find one.

Well you know :) and ^x2 this