Exercise with Injury?

Options
Hello!

With the new year, I've made a new resolution to be healthier, and obviously I'd like to get stuck in. Unfortunately I've hurt both my ankles by falling down some stairs on Boxing Day (in the middle of a pub, whilst stone-cold sober - it was NOT my finest hour, lol).

Ordinarily I'm an avid cyclist, or I use EA Sports Active on the Wii and even Dance Dance Revolution to get myself in shape... Unfortunately those all require my ankles to be better off than they currently are. Is there any sort of cardio I could do that wouldn't put added strain on my ankles, or is swimming my only realistic recourse?

I'm very annoyed because obviously I really want to get a move on and for me, exercise is a hugely motivating factor... But I guess I may end up having to swim until my ankles recover.

Replies

• Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think you need to listen to your body and if in doubt see a doctor. My friend had a groin injury and exercised through it, she ended up with a hip fracture and serious pelvic injury. If you are sure you can manage a swim without further injury then it might be ok, I would advise plenty of hot baths and things to try and ease up the muscles. Be careful not to take painkillers before any exercise as this could lead to overstraining. Good luck, it is annoying when this happens!xx
  • zombiefruit
    Options
    Thanks for the advice - I hadn't thought about painkillers vis a vis exercise!

I'll definitely consult with my doctor, cheers :)